What oil would you recommend for 2014 Sienna

What is so special about M1 ESP? I don't remember ever seeing in the stores but then again I was never looking for it. [/quote]
M1 ESP is made for European diesels and gas engines using ULSG. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 (recently discontinued) was probably best oil in that category, but that is NOT your ordinary 5W30 ILSAC GF-5 oil. HTHS was 3.58cp, and KV100 almost on par with W40 engines. It is absolute overkill for any Toyota here in the US. In Europe, that oil is though recommended for these 2GR engines, but European roads have different driving requirements.
In Sienna I use Mobil1 5W30 EP. Reason is that twice a week I ski, and climb I70 where I keep engine using manual mode above 4000rpms for like 45min to an hour. Call me old fashion, but I am not believer in these W20 oils. But, do not overkill it. I think jump to W30, either 0W or 5W will do.
I went with Mobil1 5W30 EP as it meets ACEA A5/B5, has bit more additives. But, seriously, in this engine you can use ANY synthetic oil 0/5W30 and be fine. It is simple, proven engine.
Also, I used FRAM Ultra first two oil changes. I did first oil change 3K (as I do not know who owned car before me, I got it with 42k on ODO). Than 5K using mix of 0W20 and leftovers of 0W40 (2 qt) I had from my VW CC from like 4yrs ago. And now using M1 5W30 EP and OEM filter. Reason for OEM filter is that dealership had sale, 3 filters for $12. It fits better in housing than FRAM. I will change this every 8k. No need for every 5K if you use oil such as EP as this is port injection engine.
M1 will be bit louder. I had that issue in my Passat 1.8T, in VW CC 2.0T and once I used in Tiguan 0W40. Interestingly, M1 ESP Formula that I used in my X5 diesel that I traded in for Sienna did not exhibit any more noise than other oils I used in that diesel.
Do not overthink. I got Sienna to keep it 15 years until kids are out. Though, pay attention on some assembly things, as IMO car is below average in built quality.[/quote]

Thank you for all of this information! I am currently running 0W-20 M1 EP (I choose 0W-20 over 5W-20) because 0W has more PAO / better base.

Last edited:
Good choice Jake
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ekpolk
My wife's 07 Avalon has the same 2GR engine. It's a short-tripper, with only 70k on the odo at age 12. . . .

What is so special about M1 ESP? I don't remember ever seeing in the stores but then again I was never looking for it.

M1 ESP is made for European diesels and gas engines using ULSG. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 (recently discontinued) was probably best oil in that category, but that is NOT your ordinary 5W30 ILSAC GF-5 oil. HTHS was 3.58cp, and KV100 almost on par with W40 engines. It is absolute overkill for any Toyota here in the US. In Europe, that oil is though recommended for these 2GR engines, but European roads have different driving requirements.

The tribologist I consult makes a living sorting out the differences between different oils and their various strengths and drawbacks. I trust him to ferret out the fine distinctions for me. He is recommending the ESP over the EP I had been using. My simple non-tribologist understanding is that, in my application and environment, the ESP is the optimum choice, particularly regarding contamination and deposits in an engine that rarely reaches full op temp. Not that it's required to avoid immediate looming destruction, but rather that it should hold up better over the one-year OCI. Obviously, EP isn't going to destroy the engine.
Also, it's an Avalon. It's already particularly quiet and relaxed anyway, so increased noise, even if detectable in the 2GR is just not an issue -- to us anyway. I've seen ESP in either AZ or AA, I don't recall which at the moment. The Mobil-1 website, albeit an "in-transition-mess" at the moment indicates that 5w-30 ESP is still available. There's also a 0w-30, very similar in specs, an I haven't ruled out trying a fill of that, although here in Florida, even up in NW Florida where that car is based, there's not much reason to pick the 0w over the 5w -- unless of course, the 5w-30 actually is discontinued.

Originally Posted by madeej11

Because M1 has better cleaning and suspension additives compared to other oils.
Hope your kidding, right? Sounds like a fanboy blanket statement to me. Pennzoil just to name one brand is just as good or better at that function and I'm not a Pennzoil fan by any means.

Nope. Not kidding. He said it was getting darker sooner than he was used to. I said why. Look at my sig. Definitely not a fanboy. I never said all I said others.

My wife's 07 Avalon has the same 2GR engine. It's a short-tripper, with only 70k on the odo at age 12. . . .

What is so special about M1 ESP? I don't remember ever seeing in the stores but then again I was never looking for it.

The tribologist I consult makes a living sorting out the differences between different oils and their various strengths and drawbacks. I trust him to ferret out the fine distinctions for me. He is recommending the ESP over the EP I had been using. My simple non-tribologist understanding is that, in my application and environment, the ESP is the optimum choice, particularly regarding contamination and deposits in an engine that rarely reaches full op temp. Not that it's required to avoid immediate looming destruction, but rather that it should hold up better over the one-year OCI. Obviously, EP isn't going to destroy the engine.
Also, it's an Avalon. It's already particularly quiet and relaxed anyway, so increased noise, even if detectable in the 2GR is just not an issue -- to us anyway. I've seen ESP in either AZ or AA, I don't recall which at the moment. The Mobil-1 website, albeit an "in-transition-mess" at the moment indicates that 5w-30 ESP is still available. There's also a 0w-30, very similar in specs, an I haven't ruled out trying a fill of that, although here in Florida, even up in NW Florida where that car is based, there's not much reason to pick the 0w over the 5w -- unless of course, the 5w-30 actually is discontinued.

M1 ESp Formula 5W30 has less additives than M1 5W30 EP. Take into consideration that TBN in ESP is 5.6, while in EP is above 8 I think. If you think to keep oil longer than a year, EP will actually do better.
Do not get me wrong, I used ESP a lot in my X5 35d, but that is oil that is primarily developed to protect DPF in diesel cars.
If your car rarely reaches operating temperature you need thinner oil than ESP. ESP is considered heavy 5W30 oil, while EP is ILSAC-GF5, or energy conserving oil. If it is what you say, you could do 0W20 oil, which in real world might be better for your exploitation.

Originally Posted by Danno
I would use PP 5W-30 if it was my van. I use it on my Venza 3.5L. Works great.

Second that PP is actually very close to a 20 weight with a 9.8 cSt, now sn+ and I have already seen some great uoa's. If you really want quiet nothing like redline butter smooth. But I'd try this PP 5w30 first, you may be happy there.

Last edited:
Red Line should be smooth as butter, it's thick as butter. Same old same old burla. Oh yeah, you forgot to throw in some crap about all that moly too. Tick, tick, tick...

The recommended oil grade is written on the oil filler cap and in the owner's manual. Toyota usually mentions that the owner should use a higher viscosity oil if the vehicle sees higher loads than usual, is used at high speeds for extended periods of time (we don't have the Autobahn in the US, so nix that), or if you're abusing it more than it's supposed to be abused (whatever that means to you). The move to 5W-30 from 0W-20 isn't even noticeable for some engines as far as fuel economy is concerned. I'm sure that's the case for Toyota, so if you want more protection. That's your oil.

Hopefully the OP has figured it out in the last two years. Or at least still has this vehicle.
Yeah, my bad, I should have checked the date. Some of these threads should autoclose if no one bumps them for 6 months.

I just saw this threads again and can't believe I even posted such a stupid question.

Anyways the Sienna is long gone but I do have a Highlander with the same engine now and I have been using Kirkland's 5w20 oil, seems to be doing great!

I just saw this threads again and can't believe I even posted such a stupid question.

Anyways the Sienna is long gone but I do have a Highlander with the same engine now and I have been using Kirkland's 5w20 oil, seems to be doing great!
That's good oil. I'm thinking about renewing my Costco membership.

Back