What do you conclude about a "loud" oil?

I think the big question is whether or not making more noise equates to more wear, but that in itself is something not really anyone could verify without a strictly controlled test. Sometimes a louder engine is healthier than a quieter one. Take adjusting the valves for example. My noisy 22RE Yota 4 banger makes a lot of valve noise, yet is running better now at 320,000 miles than it did 150,000 miles ago. If I tightened up the valves to quiet them up as much as possible, I could very well burn them out in short order.

Interesting topic that is probably too abstract for anyone to know if loud oil is worse for wear than quiet oil.

My 4.0 Tacoma sounds different depending on time of day, temperature, astrological cycle, and whether or not another idler pulley is going out.

It’s ironic that one of the most reliable engines actually sounds like it’s going to shake itself apart at any moment.

I’ve never noticed a difference in sound after an oil change to a different brand. It just goes tickTicktickticktixktixktixktixcttickticktick no matter what - and will likely continue ticking well past 300k miles regardless of what I put in it.
"Taco tick". Normal. If it's not ticking....something probably wrong with it!

Mine has 80k on it. My coworker's has 340k on it. They sound exactly the same at idle.

I don't know anything about "loud oils". Never experienced one. That said...my 4.0 Tacoma is a little quieter on either M1 Truck and SUV or Valvoline Synthetic....both 5/30. Not sure why. The M1 is on the thick side but the Valvoline isn't.

An oil that seems to have a reputation for making an engine louder. I have one of those oils in a vehicle now and it is noticeably louder. Do you believe it's protecting less? More friction?

I don't see how a 'louder' oil could be louder without allowing more friction.

But I'm no engineer.

Thoughts?
Never heard of a such thing. Oil is oil. Unless I don’t care enough to listen

"Taco tick". Normal. If it's not ticking....something probably wrong with it!

Mine has 80k on it. My coworker's has 340k on it. They sound exactly the same at idle.
My 2005 Tacoma 4.0L V6 is pretty quiet IMO, even compared to other vehicles I've owned over the years.

My years as a Sonar operator mean I don't need an SPL meter to tell me there is a difference in output sound with different fluids inside an engine. Various elastomers and fluids can dampen the vibrational "Ringing" of metal parts simply by being in contact. Same result could probably be acheived cutting some sound mat and applying to valve cover/s and block.
You must have ears that can put a hound dog to shame

Oh I wouldn't consider the ticking loud at all. But it's the nature of all the GR engines.
Yep, that's what you get with the DOHC and shim in bucket valve design - no hydraulics to keep valve shim clearance to zero.

I been thinking about this as well.. the oil I just switched to seems.. like it amplifies engine noise.

Those in the know say there is no scientific basis for this.

I still think some oils seem to cushion more... But since this can't be "proven," it is the subject of entertainment.

I could talk more about why I think this but I'll leave it alone.

Ran a fill of Valvoline Synpower Maxlife 5w20 in my 2013 2.7L Tacoma. Aka the test mule.
It currently has a fill of Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 and it is noticeably “louder”. But I bought 6 -5qt jugs for my stash at less than 8$ each.
Wish I had sent off the maxlife for a uoa. Both maxlife and Napa syn run like silk in that engine.

Oh I wouldn't consider the ticking loud at all. But it's the nature of all the GR engines.

FWIW, the 1GR-FE in 2010 and newer FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, and Tundras, has almost nothing in common with the 1GR-FE in the Tacoma, or earlier FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, and Tundras, besides both being 4 Liter V6's.

It's so different, I can't understand why Toyota didn't change the engine model designation beyond stating Single VVT-i vs Dual VVT-i.

The Dual VVT-i version has roller rocker arms and hydraulic valve lash adjusters, amongst it's many changes.

^^^ Not everyone here is 65+ and hard of hearing, lol.

Yep, despite my nearly lifetime as a Motorcyclist, listening to music, and working on insanely loud racing vehicles, I still have decent hearing according to the Audiologist I recently saw. I learned to use earplugs early on, and always have a pair with me.

I can also hear the difference in engine operating noise, with different brands of oils.

FWIW, the 1GR-FE in 2010 and newer FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, and Tundras, has almost nothing in common with the 1GR-FE in the Tacoma, or earlier FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, and Tundras, besides both being 4 Liter V6's.

It's so different, I can't understand why Toyota didn't change the engine model designation beyond stating Single VVT-i vs Dual VVT-i.

The Dual VVT-i version has roller rocker arms and hydraulic valve lash adjusters, amongst it's many changes.
They still share the same 60° block, stroke, bore and, as far as I know, most of the lower internals

They still share the same 60° block, stroke, bore and, as far as I know, most of the lower internals

It's a 60° block, but not the same as the single VVT-i version. Different crankshaft, pistons, cylinder heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc.

Does the new 4.0 liter Tacoma use the Atkinson cycle engine... are they not noisier in the valve train to begin with?

Back