What do home mechanics charge per hour?

I do work for friends & coworkers sometimes. Nothing extreme, just day jobs like brakes, oil changes, radiators etc. I charge $50-60 an hour. They usually say "that's it? You sure?" Not sure what a fair rate is. I want to give them a break but I also don't enjoy spending all Saturday greasy and sweaty. What do others charge? Shops in my area are all over $100 but even though I have all the tools, it's just my house... A miserable drum break job made me start thinking

$100/hr would be cheap around here.

Personally I wouldn't offer to work on anyone's car, all it'd take is one job to go sideways to earn a non-friend.

Anyhow, I value my time doing things I don't want to do at $200/hour these days. $100/hr doing something I like, now that'd be nice. Charging a fair rate for what I know about cars, I'd be at min wage.

When I do work on the weekends it depends on who it is or what it is. But I’m way cheaper than my dealership charges. I typically say minimum rate to even come out is $50 then usually $50-$80 per hour depending what it is. My dealership is $180 an hour so I think what I charge is more than fair. I’m going to change my uncles oil tomorrow 30 mile commute plus labor I’m only charging him $50 because he is throwing in fresh crops and eggs on top of it.

$100/hr would be cheap around here.

Personally I wouldn't offer to work on anyone's car, all it'd take is one job to go sideways to earn a non-friend.

Anyhow, I value my time doing things I don't want to do at $200/hour these days. $100/hr doing something I like, now that'd be nice. Charging a fair rate for what I know about cars, I'd be at min wage.
True. I do make them aware, I'm not a shop and there is no warranty. I have no problem if they want to take it to a shop. Still a risk I guess. I won't work on just anyone's car either. I turn down a lot of coworkers I suspect would be the type to blame or complain.

I didn’t this many years ago when my wife and I were young and could use extra cash to help things along with young kids. I had an account at the local Napa and got the wholesale or garage pricing. I charged the retail price for parts and usually the cost of the parts for labor. It helped both parties out. Never had a job go sideways and everyone was thankful for the help.

Just my $0.02

When I do work on the weekends it depends on who it is or what it is. But I’m way cheaper than my dealership charges. I typically say minimum rate to even come out is $50 then usually $50-$80 per hour depending what it is. My dealership is $180 an hour so I think what I charge is more than fair. I’m going to change my uncles oil tomorrow 30 mile commute plus labor I’m only charging him $50 because he is throwing in fresh crops and eggs on top of it.
I do give big discounts to friends /family who thrown in drinks or food or help me out with other stuff I don't want to do like plumbing. I hate plumbing....

Do you have a comercial insurance policy? What if their car catches fire and burns your house down? You homeowners policy will probably reject the claim. Or what if after a brake job a wheel falls off and the customer crashes. What will you do when they sue you for a million bucks?
Tough talk from someone who brings his cars to a nicer neighborhood for photos. ;)

Tough talk from someone who brings his cars to a nicer neighborhood for photos. ;)
Hey, I'm just going by the similar comments made here when I posted about my side hussle of storing someone's car for money.

I didn’t this many years ago when my wife and I were young and could use extra cash to help things along with young kids. I had an account at the local Napa and got the wholesale or garage pricing. I charged the retail price for parts and usually the cost of the parts for labor. It helped both parties out. Never had a job go sideways and everyone was thankful for the help.

Just my $0.02
Great! I'm looking at buying a 2009 MINI that needs a RMS, what's your address? :ROFLMAO:

I do work for friends & coworkers sometimes. Nothing extreme, just day jobs like brakes, oil changes, radiators etc. I charge $50-60 an hour. They usually say "that's it? You sure?" Not sure what a fair rate is. I want to give them a break but I also don't enjoy spending all Saturday greasy and sweaty. What do others charge? Shops in my area are all over $100 but even though I have all the tools, it's just my house... A miserable drum break job made me start thinking
Research what others charge in your area. If you want more work, you undercut that. If you have all you want, you match it, or if it's a referral, you can go a little higher based on the trust perception.

You wrote "a miserable job". If it takes more time, that factors into your billable hours. Is it possible that you just need more tools? A lot of times, the right tool makes a job so much easier, including the use of cordless instead of just muscle, or additional length/size/bends pliers, ratchets, swivels, etc, etc.

If you are only factoring billable hours for best case scenarios, adjust that to include the average over all jobs. Give more of a price break to the needy or family, less to friends and acquaintances who also tend to be less understanding and more demanding. Let the customer be the one hoping you will do the work instead of seeming needy and always be ready to back out if they want to run the show and tell you what to replace instead of what you feel is doing it right. Always do the complete repair with an estimate that includes that.

Your customer will be aware of the cost, and accept it or not. You can always lower the total bill if it turns out that some things don't need replaced, without complaint but raising it is a different matter.

I've written the above within the context of the type jobs you mentioned, where there is (based on your own judgement) less likely a liability if something goes wrong based on your skill level and understanding the issues.

You wrote "it's just my house" which implies these are all driveable vehicles being brought to you? That in itself does suggest a bit lower labor rate than a mobile mechanic would charge, but in today's market, I wouldn't start out lower than $75/hr and again this means the average for the type of work, not just your estimate based on every job being as easy as possible. Granted you are in SW CA, so at least you don't have remotely near the level of rust that some of the rest of us have to deal with, and that can make a large difference in ease of repair.

Back