What did I do draining what was recommended?

I am not following the initially apparent lack of logic here. The only remotely possible thought process would be you are saving the 0W16 for Winter use and you want a zerodub 20 for Summer.

Did I get it?
The OP probably wanted to change the oil, and by "saving" the old oil for reuse, reduced the guilt or burden of wasting perfectly good oil. Hopefully the OP takes everyone's advice here and does NOT reuse it after all.

Last edited:
I would change to

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-16, using Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram endurance oil filter. You would get maximum torque, HP, & MPG. Change every 10k miles.​

since your name is @ARCOgraphite , I assume you worked with me at ARCO's Harvey, Chicago Research Labs. I tested ARCO Graphite in the field when I was with ARCO, and developed ARCO Supreme gasoline.

I can't believe you guys don't get the point of his oil change method. As you know it's officially summer where he lives, and who would want that water thin 0-16 oil in their engine, when you can have that sludge like 0-20 wt, protecting all the engines innards. He's just being compulsive and obsessive like everyone else here.,,,

I can't believe you guys don't get the point of his oil change method. As you know it's officially summer where he lives, and who would want that water thin 0-16 oil in their engine, when you can have that sludge like 0-20 wt, protecting all the engines innards. He's just being compulsive and obsessive like everyone else here.,,,
Either some of us have been Drinking something or got 2 much Sun on our heads today, thank you 4 posting this BigCahuna!

I was thinking of mentioning I have about 250 miles on my oil change and will put about another 1000 in the next couple weeks road trip. Should I change my oil now or wait until I get back? Wondering if it'll have enough life to do 1250 highway miles on it.

Really hooked use on this one... Some gave correct parts through out. Rav4 gets washed once aweek with a spray only car wash run through the undercarriage going into the car wash bay. Underside is spotless, changed in a clean garage with no breeze or wind what so ever. Wanted it documented with the 0W16 and run my 0W20 for the summertime. Save the 0W16 for winter. Took my dog for a walk around acouple blocks while it drained and the process was over in no time. Oh the agony!!! Lol

Changing from the 0w16 to a 0w20 for the summer was such a tiny difference in viscosity that your engine really wouldn’t know the difference between the two. Likely only about 1cst difference at operating temperature. You should have either left the 0w16 in there or if you really wanted a better summer oil then you should have gone to a 5w30. This oil change was basically just a waste of your time and money.

Really hooked use on this one... Some gave correct parts through out. Rav4 gets washed once aweek with a spray only car wash run through the undercarriage going into the car wash bay. Underside is spotless, changed in a clean garage with no breeze or wind what so ever. Wanted it documented with the 0W16 and run my 0W20 for the summertime. Save the 0W16 for winter. Took my dog for a walk around acouple blocks while it drained and the process was over in no time. Oh the agony!!! Lol
Are you going to do this for the 5 year, 60k powertrain warranty? A lot of effort when I'm sure it'll last just fine on 16 and then run whatever you want after 60k engine warranty.

In fairness, I'm surprised we haven't seen any 5-30 recommendations yet :ROFLMAO:

I am in the minority in that I don't think any harm will come from using the slightly used oil at a later date. Contaminants, some say?? Isn't that what oil filters are for, after all?

I am in the minority in that I don't think any harm will come from using the slightly used oil at a later date. Contaminants, some say?? Isn't that what oil filters are for, after all?

Sure, oil filters are there for a reason, but why introduce dirt, etc. into the engine unnecessarily? And what is the OP actually gaining by doing this? That is the point I think most of us are making, not that the engine is going to implode or self-destruct.

I see no point in taking the car to the dealer so they could document the oil change and then going home and draining their fill to replace it with something else. You have no idea what grade they actually used anyway, but a bulk 0W-20 wouldn't surprise me.
This is a Toyota after all, not some banging Ferrari or Porsche, not even a BMW.
The engine will do just fine on whatever grade you'd prefer and in the very unlikely event that you have an engine claim under warranty, they won't even ask what you used, they'll just check for evidence of a lack of maintenance, like serious sludge visible with the cam cover removed.
Where you live, rust will kill this thing long before engine failure would.

I see no point in taking the car to the dealer so they could document the oil change and then going home and draining their fill to replace it with something else. You have no idea what grade they actually used anyway, but a bulk 0W-20 wouldn't surprise me.
This is a Toyota after all, not some banging Ferrari or Porsche, not even a BMW.
The engine will do just fine on whatever grade you'd prefer and in the very unlikely event that you have an engine claim under warranty, they won't even ask what you used, they'll just check for evidence of a lack of maintenance, like serious sludge visible with the cam cover removed.
Where you live, rust will kill this thing long before engine failure would.
I have documentation they put TGMO 0W16 in and the multiple multiple point inspection with detailed tread depth on each tire. Oil filter would catch any minor contamination besides the oxygen we breathe. That Total Quartz oil was 8 bucks at Advance Autoparts in 2023. Like Devo sings --- "Crack that whip!!"

Back