What Brand Of Conventional Oil Would You ONLY Use??

If my daily driver didn't call for full synthetic, then I would use bulk Mobil oil. Right now I have my first ever run on Castrol Edge 5w30 in my 3.0 Ranger. I plan on a 5k OCI and a UOA to determine if I am going to stick with it or not.

I usually use only synthetic in my vehicles, but went conventional in my wife's Nissan recently. It got a hole in the radiator which my wife didn't notice until it started misfiring and she then saw the heat gauge was pegged. It damaged the head gasket to where it's leaking coolant into the oil, but slowly. Thankfully it's not going into the cylinders. I have to add a quart or so of coolant every 500 miles, and it'll show a little foam on the oil, though not excessively so. So I picked up a couple 6 quart boxes of Havoline conventional 10w-40 and changing it every 2-3k miles, as needed with dilution, until I can fix the head gasket.

I know we are talking about non synthetic oil, but I find it very interesting the newest ATF for the 10 speed Ford (?) is non synthetic. Seems like we are going "backwards" in that I thought everything was going synthetic.

Please don't get this thread on an ATF discussion. It just baffles my mind that with our more sophisticated designs we revert back to conventional fluids.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I know we are talking about non synthetic oil, but I find it very interesting the newest ATF for the 10 speed Ford (?) is non synthetic. Seems like we are going "backwards" in that I thought everything was going synthetic.

Please don't get this thread on an ATF discussion. It just baffles my mind that with our more sophisticated designs we revert back to conventional fluids.

What are the normal operating temps of those transmissions? Agreed, not making it an ATF thread, but in general, mineral oil has a higher pressure-viscosity coefficient than synthetic oil up to a certain temperature. It could be the conventional is showing itself as a more stout hydraulic oil due to that P-V coefficient allowing it to withstand higher shock loads. I have no idea if that's the real reason. It could be that Ford was just looking to cut production cost.

Last edited:
I ran UOA's with conventional Pennzoil and Valvoline on my 2014 SHO (3.5 EcoBoost) with 6k-7k oil change intervals. Blackstone said there was some high metal wear but felt that because the engine was under 30k miles, they tend to show higher than average metal content until everything wears in.

Pennzoil Conventional 5W30 would be my choice - moot point since I now use SN+ D1 / Gen 2 approved synthetics ...

PYB. My vehicles always ran smooth on that and it cleaned the engine up a bit too. IIRC, it has high molybdenum content as well. Currently I use QSUD 5-20 though.

Last edited:
I have used all the name brand Synthetics in my Accord and Nissan Cube.

Currently using QSAD/green bottle and it has far surpassed all my expectations on how smooth and quiet a conventional oil can make it motor feel.

I will continue to use it above all other oils as imo its better feeling than the 'expensive' stuff.

Originally Posted by Red91
It was spelled with a z when it was first introduced. That's just a jest a tig1, since he's obviously a die hard supertech straight 30 fan.

lol.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

If I had to choose one dino oil right now and stay with it.....Valvoline. (RK is not available everywhere)

Back