What Brand Of Conventional Oil Would You ONLY Use??

If I had to choose one and STAY with it

PYB

But my preference is Quaker state, Federated or Rural King

Rural King has PYB 5 qt. jugs for $13 right now. I think till the 20th of this month and 5w30 only.

Originally Posted by 87112
I have used all the name brand Synthetics in my Accord and Nissan Cube.

Currently using QSAD/green bottle and it has far surpassed all my expectations on how smooth and quiet a conventional oil can make it motor feel.

I will continue to use it above all other oils as imo its better feeling than the 'expensive' stuff.

I keep hearing this. May have to try it for a few runs.

My neighbor owns a 2011 Optima GDi with well over 100k miles and has only used conventional oils and Fram PH9688 oil filters. Not a single problem or drivability issue. Yes, i know...anecdotal.

There's no brand I'd only use. The moment I think there's something better, I'm jumping ship. These aren't people we're talking about. They're material things, and transient ones at that.

However, when I had a car that specced conventional oil, I used Castrol GTX exclusively for a while because I thought my car's manufacturer preferred it. In retrospect, I was probably wrong about that -- though GTX did meet all the relevant specs.

Later, I switched to Mobil Super because it seemed to have the best ratio of price to performance. It was cheaper than the rest of the majors and much more expensive than the house brands and cheapos, but it had similar-or-better looking specs (mainly Noack) than pretty much anything else I was looking at.

My head's been out of the conventional game for almost a year now, so those comments may be outdated.

Originally Posted by wemay

I keep hearing this. May have to try it for a few runs.

My neighbor owns a 2011 Optima GDi with well over 100k miles and has only used conventional oils and Fram PH9688 oil filters. Not a single problem or drivability issue. Yes, i know...anecdotal.

Some have opined about the death of dino with synthetics coming down in price. Like the anecdote you provided, i don't see dino going away anytime soon.

Black Knight from the dollar store 'cause it has to be pure mineral oil and I won't have to worry about all those pesky certifications and rating stuff anymore.

My BiL did 400k with his Silverado running bulk Mobil Super 5W30 and an MO basic oil filter … I never see this oil anywhere - and don’t think even @XOM pushes it or prices to sell …

I used Castrol GTX years back. Switched to Chevron Supreme later. I still like the Chevron oil. Hard to find locally though. Costco dropped it awhile back. I ordered 3 jugs from Walmart recently. Cheaper than ST which I like but I prefer Chevron when I find a source.

If my daily driver didn't call for full synthetic, then I would use bulk Mobil oil. Right now I have my first ever run on Castrol Edge 5w30 in my 3.0 Ranger. I plan on a 5k OCI and a UOA to determine if I am going to stick with it or not.
VWB since it’s still $17 at my Wal Mart. Used it n my ole tank or 97’ Bonneville for lots miles

There are so many brands of conventional oil out there, but if it were your ONLY choice of oil to use in your vehicles, what name brand would you use, and why?
I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (I know, all Pennzoil is in yellow bottles. It's the old school name).
Rumors have it that PYB contains synthetic oil. Pennzoil also has a great reputation in the oil industry world. Also, I have heard/read that PYB does the best job at cleaning the internal engine and parts.
I would be NAPA Conventional. Because that's the only one I have bought it at $2.29 a quart! 5W-30. Some of that might go in the mower this spring. That would only leave me with 23.5 quarts!

API SP / GF-6

...and using a 3750mi oil change interval, i don't know why i don't use "Conventional" blend 5W20 or 0W20 in the Hybrid since with that Severe Service OCI, the Internal Combustion engine runs maybe 60-75% of the time - 2250 to 2812 miles. Maybe if i could find it at a significant savings.

Last edited:
Back