What Brand Of Conventional Oil Would You ONLY Use??

There are so many brands of conventional oil out there, but if it were your ONLY choice of oil to use in your vehicles, what name brand would you use, and why?
I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (I know, all Pennzoil is in yellow bottles. It's the old school name).
Rumors have it that PYB contains synthetic oil. Pennzoil also has a great reputation in the oil industry world. Also, I have heard/read that PYB does the best job at cleaning the internal engine and parts.
kendall

It's green.

There are so many brands of conventional oil out there, but if it were your ONLY choice of oil to use in your vehicles, what name brand would you use, and why?
I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (I know, all Pennzoil is in yellow bottles. It's the old school name).
Rumors have it that PYB contains synthetic oil. Pennzoil also has a great reputation in the oil industry world. Also, I have heard/read that PYB does the best job at cleaning the internal engine and parts.
Valvoline Daily Protection. You cant beat it and Valvoline is legendary.

There is no conventional that meets current API specs. It’s all a blend. With that being said, chevron supreme. It’s cheap, easily available at Walmart, some great uoas here, and their tech line confirmed in 2019 that it has over 40% synthetic base stock

There is no conventional that meets current API specs. It’s all a blend. With that being said, chevron supreme. It’s cheap, easily available at Walmart, some great uoas here, and their tech line confirmed in 2019 that it has over 40% synthetic base stock

I'm highly suspect of the claim that no SP Grade can be made without Group III. Any proof that you can't make a 20W-50 SP primarily out of Gi with just a slug of GiI? For that matter I'm not sure you couldn't make a 30 grade GF-6 out of just high quality GiI+ like EHC.

I've always kinda liked Castrol GTX or Valvoline for conventionals in the past. I have Valvoline in the Camry now with GTX on deck for the next couple of changes. Both are the newer synthetic blend now.

I'm highly suspect of the claim that no SP Grade can be made without Group III. Any proof that you can't make a 20W-50 SP primarily out of Gi with just a slug of GiI? For that matter I'm not sure you couldn't make a 30 grade GF-6 out of just high quality GiI+ like EHC.
I mean…I’m not an expert by any means. The requirements are getting more strict as the ratings increase. I base my statement on the fact that literally all over the shelf “conventionals” have since changed their tds and labels to read “syn blend”. I also spoke to a technical fellow at Smittys, a medium sized blender/manufacturer and they claimed for all their grades they use anywhere from 8-20% group III depending on the other components and grade.

I mean yeah…maybe there are some companies like chevron who manufacture group II+ base stock that use that and can meet api SP but again I’m not referring to the exception rather the majority. (I’m sure there’s a company out there that can meet SP off cow urine, dung, and hummus but again I consider them the exception).

For the purpose of this question, if we're treating all the "synthetic blends" as conventional, I'd be using Motorcraft in both of my Ford engines. Good stuff and priced well.

If we're sticking to pre-SP conventional oil, probably Supertech. Because it's cheap and it works.

Back