What Brand Of Conventional Oil Would You ONLY Use??

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Driven HR line, just to throw a suggestion in that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I've become a fan of Havoline (Chevron) lately.

Havoline is excellent oil in my opinion. As is Chevron Supreme. I've used both, back before the merger, and both performed flawlessly for me.

I am happy with most name brand dino I've used so far: Chevron, Shell, Pennzoil, SuperTech, Peak, Napa, Valvoline (NextGen), etc. None of them gave me any problem at all.

If I were to pick any dino I'd look at UOA and see what's the latest that has the best review. Oil changes formula all the time anyways, so there's no point it being loyal.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I bought lots of Chevron Supreme on sale at Costco and nothing has blown up so far
shocked2.gif
cars run very quiet ...

I've used Pennzoil and Castrol gtx and like them as well. Once I run out maybe in 2.5 years, Whatever on sale between the above 3.

I believe Chevron Supreme is a dino/syn blend...at least the 5w-30 is...

Originally Posted by ToyotaCorolla04

I think you are right about 5Wx30.
10Wx30 is not syn blend. I don't recall 5W bottles saying syn blend on them however.
Funny thing is I may not have bought the 5W30 if I knew it was syn blend ...
One of my old cars doesn't burn much oil with 10Wx30 but doesn't like syn blend in general. So I'm using the 10W in that car. Haven't totally figured that one out but that's the way it is. Did the same with dealer syn blend!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by ToyotaCorolla04

I think you are right about 5Wx30.
10Wx30 is not syn blend. I don't recall 5W bottles saying syn blend on them however.
Funny thing is I may not have bought the 5W30 if I knew it was syn blend ...
One of my old cars doesn't burn much oil with 10Wx30 but doesn't like syn blend in general. So I'm using the 10W in that car. Haven't totally figured that one out but that's the way it is. Did the same with dealer syn blend!

Alot of 5w oils are now synblends. Castrol, Valvoline, Chevron. All synblends.

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Walmart SuperTech....just to make people frown lol

+1.. and any Valvoline, Chevron, QS or Castrol (gtx/ultraclean) dino if I were inclined to spend more. There are so many solid choices IMO, for me it would boil down to just how much I wanna spend per qt. I'm pretty sure all of these dino's could do 5k oci's without breaking a sweat, so long as you're not beating on the engine or you have something going on (like a moisture/fuel dilution issue) that would push you more towards a full syn/syn blend.

Last edited:
I would choose Valvoline or Chevron Supreme just from personal experience with "conventional" oil. But I agree, they all have some synthetic content. And if you are keeping within reasonable oil change intervals and your engine is in good condition, don't worry about base stocks too much -- what really matters is the performance of the oil. Modern conventional oils are very good oils.

^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I too like Valvoline and or Chevron... And the rest of this statement is exactly right.

I've used lots of different synthetics and synblends, but regularly only two conventional oils Castrol GTX and Penrite HPR.

GTX was the first oil I purchased with my own money.
HPR was the first oil that impressed me by going the distance in my shared sump motorcycle.

My previous oil change was the new GTX UltraClean, so I'm still willing to give it a run. Even though it's now a synblend like many modern conventional oils.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
11.44 per 5qt jug...id go super tech at a 5k oci and not loose an ounce of sleep.

15w40 or 5w30 UOA dependent

+1

Back