What are your thoughts on White Castle?

Eating a (or a few) White Castle belly bombers has been on my bucket list for years. About a year ago, I was in Minneapolis and bought a few. They were okay, would eat them again someday, just definitely not every day. The irony of White Castle business is that the first one was in my home state of Kansas, IIRC, but none presently exist in the state now.
I will admit my local mom-and-pop restaurant makes a burger that puts WC to shame.

Eating a (or a few) White Castle belly bombers has been on my bucket list for years. About a year ago, I was in Minneapolis and bought a few. They were okay, would eat them again someday, just definitely not every day. The irony of White Castle business is that the first one was in my home state of Kansas, IIRC, but none presently exist in the state now.
I will admit my local mom-and-pop restaurant makes a burger that puts WC to shame.
That's like Boston Market. They started in Boston but they closed all their stores in Boston a while ago.

Never been, Don't think White Castle operates in Texas? Fuddruckers is probably make favorite burger spot....Unfortunately the one near me closed down & the nearest one is 50 miles away.

My next go-to is Braums, Then Diary Queen, Then Griff's, Then Whataburger.......Can't do McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Jack n' the Box, or Sonic:sick:

I tried In & Out when they first came to DFW (Had lines around the block).....I don't get it. But not as bad as the other barf buckets on my no-go list.

Reactions: GON
That's like Boston Market. They started in Boston but they closed all their stores in Boston a while ago.
They are hanging in there in California. 20 years ago they were decent. I don't know who'll go back for a second meal these days. Tasteless and lukewarm glop.

Never been, Don't think White Castle operates in Texas? Fuddruckers is probably make favorite burger spot....Unfortunately the one near me closed down & the nearest one is 50 miles away.

My next go-to is Braums, Then Diary Queen, Then Griff's, Then Whataburger.......Can't do McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Jack n' the Box, or Sonic:sick:

I tried In & Out when they first came to DFW (Had lines around the block).....I don't get it. But not as bad as the other barf buckets on my no-go list.
Braums burgers are the best, fries are great, then a double scoop of peppermint ice cream.... enough calories for a week, and you can feel your arteries harden, but man is it good!

They are hanging in there in California. 20 years ago they were decent. I don't know who'll go back for a second meal these days. Tasteless and lukewarm glop.
Maybe their QC wasn't that good. I did go to one in Boston before it shut down and their sides didn't taste the way they normally would at other stores. The whole point of a chain is that the food should taste the same no matter which store you go to. Maybe that's why those stores shut down.

I love In-n-Out but you gotta get them with grilled onions and no sauce. Tommy’s chili-burgers in downtown LA is the one I‘ve driven two hours out of my way for.

No WC near me, they haven't made it out of NY.
I did hit one in PA on a business trip decades ago.
Didn't have revenge, and I had 10 of them little buggers.
What is it the fat? Not big on ground meat these days - its a good way to food poisoning.
Been hitting hot roast beef places with onion buns and James River sauce,
Less of a mystery on what is on the bun. That or Lebanese steak and cheese.
O.k. now I'm hungry.

If I’m craving a fast food burger, it’s always Freddys Steakburgers! Make mine a double with their shoe string fries with dipping sauce!
We have one of those in town, but strangely I have never been there. The place always seems deserted. Maybe I should give it a try one day, although I've technically cut out all red meat from my diet, so it may have to wait.

Lately I've been making turkey burgers at home. With the right seasoning they're pretty good.

White Castle and Krystal are practically the same. The difference is minor.
I like them both going in, about an hour down the road not so much.

Went looking on a map for the one we went to in North Philly, I believe, and there are none near there now.

Did WC do a significant retraction at some point? Seem to remember seeing many more during trips.

We're still talking about burgers, right?

Hahahhahahaha yes.

I also agree with the folks who have mentioned some small local places with decent burgers being better than chains.

"Boomer's" in Bellingham makes an awesome burger. https://boomersdrivein.com/

https://undergroundburgers.com/
and frankly, the ONLY good thing on the lunch menu here: https://www.keenansatthepier.com/ ? HAMBURGER - and I have to say, one of the best burgers EVER.

White Castle trivia: up until 2015, they also made professional lawn fertilizer spreaders.

I was introduced to WhiteCastles (by the bag-full) when they cost about 10 cents each. It's their cult appeal and childhood memories that lures me in about once a year.

I became familiar with the term "fertilizer spreader", after eating at a White Castle. Never again...

Last edited:
When we lived in N.J. (escaped in 1991)we bought White Castle burgers by the dozen and loved them.
Now we are in Colorado and buy them frozen at King Soopers(Kroger) while still good they are not the same as hot off the grill.
🍔

Fuddruckers, they grind their own beef onsite an have fresh toppings. About a 45 minute drive from my house, but I get there about once a year when I'm in the area.

Been a few years due to the pandemic, but I may need to get there soon.

At least the ones around here have a 99 cent ice cream. At least while they were still here. The closest one to me closed down as a result of a mall revamping its restaurant row.

Back