What are your thoughts on White Castle?

White castle and Wendys both give me a stomach ache every time I eat their burgers. I like Whataburger and of course, the nearest one is two hours away. I always liked how Texas had Whataburgers and Dairy Queens everywhere.

We affectionately call them "Whiteys" here, and yes, they do have a certain revenge that comes with them. Doesn't always stop me, though.
For anyone who enjoys them, I encourage you to try the breakfast options as well!

I enjoy this guys YT channel, and just watched this interesting episode on White Castle:

Simple as can be: for those of you who've had the pleasure of enjoying the delight of a White Castle burger, do you agree that it's an underrated player in the fast food sector? I know I do. I believe many among us here will admit to having a personal story which somehow involved a White Castle. I know I do!

Hoping to have a light hearted discussion here, so let's keep the "fast food is the devil" and "how can you eat that" stuff for another time.

A crave case is often our go-to for pot luck events.

They are a hit at most parties and if pressed for time, it's easy to roll through and get a mixed selection in a crave case.

I normally don't eat any fast food. I had not had White Castle in probably twenty years when my son, who was probably 12 or 13 at the time asked me to watch Harold and Kumar with him. When the movie ended he asked me if the burgers were really as good as the movie made them out to be. I said not really but it isn't fair to let you see it and not try a WC burger.
So... I called my buddy who is a hamburger freak and lives five minutes from a White Castle and said did you have lunch yet? I'll pick you up in half an hour. It's on me. My friend, my son and I walk in and while we're waiting to order my son asks me if he can get the chicken sandwiches. I said absolutely not. Your first trip here, especially after watching that crazy movie, you're having burgers. I honestly can't remember if he liked em or not. He hasn't asked to go back. That was three or four years ago.

I'm impressed with their business model.

Good stuff, like a Coney Island hot dog with the works, some times you just need one or two..and some times you pay a price.

Of course there was my first White Castle experience in the early 80's...three dumb freshmen driving South through Philly or maybe Southern Jersey after dark and seeing a White Castle sign a few blocks away off the highway "..hey a White Castle, I always wanted to try one", "yeah, me too, sure, lets go, take this exit". I've made better decisions.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't understand what Whataburger craze is all about, and same with WC, and same with In-and-Out. I'd take Smashburger over any of them any day.

I agree relative to in and out (think it’s the California novelty), and whataburger. Smash burger is good, I get it at the airport sometimes, but I can make one as good at home.

White castle to me is different, small and greasy and oniony. Not something I’d make at home, and not too big. Growing up there was at least one real old White Castle restaurant near us, just outside of NYac, that was shaped sort of like a real castle. Never got anything from there until I was maybe 17.

I can count on one hand the total times Ive eaten White Castle. But it’s different, and they’re tasty if you like the little, damp, greasy burgers.

Much better than Krystal for sure. The only thing I’ll eat is the chicken sliders though as they can never seem to grasp NO ONIONS on my slider. Man now you got me wanting White Castle.
As I recall they actually pre-soak the burgers in chopped onions.

I love onions so it’s great for me.

I agree that I wasnt as impressed by Krystal the one time I went there.

Eat one of their double cheese burgers, while the same as a single, adds so much in making a better burger. A guy at work did not believe me, so when I was out getting parts for a machine, I bought him one. He now only eats doubles.

Never had one, always been curious since the Beastie Boys rhymed about them 30 years ago! Sadly if they are like most fast food chains the quality had collapsed and prices in creased beyond reasonable.

Never had In-N-Out. The one time a decade ago I had Whataburger I recall liking it but I was very intoxicated. Red Robin make a passable burger, but their fries are very bland. I really like Smashburger, and think it's the best of any "fast" burger joints and eat that fairly often.

I won't go to "it's the devil" here, but rarely eat traditional low end fast food, maybe 10 times in the last decade: my last experiences with fast food in the last decade+ have been bad to very bad. Taco Bell in 2004 gave me serious explosive food poisoning for 2-3 days; I tried Jack-In-The-Box exactly 1 time in my life 10 years ago and took 1 bite and threw it all away; and my last McNugget box made me feel disgusting; and my last BK cheeseburger was barely eatable. 15 years ago, Carls Junior made a good burger but 10 years ago my girlfriend and I went to one and the food was so disgusting we could not finish our "meal." Threw it out.

As I recall they actually pre-soak the burgers in chopped onions.

I love onions so it’s great for me.

I agree that I wasnt as impressed by Krystal the one time I went there.
"Steamed over a bed of Onions" is how I remember it...
I Do love the little Gut Bombs, but you really don't want to stand anywhere behind me starting a few hrs after i eat them.

I have to be quite honest. I have never had a White Castle burger or anything else from them. And to honest again, I only like our own cooked food. Sure, we've eaten out with family & friends, we're not unsociable. And of course when we are traveling, we stop for food and we have had some better food along our travels. I dislike restaurant food and to me it's just, mehhhh!

Yes, there are those gourmet restaurants that cook to perfection, you get only a taste of food on your dish and the co$t is WAAAAY too much money. I mean, for little food that you are served on your plate, I've scraped more off of my dish 'cause I've had too much to eat, than what I was served... I DON'T want just a taste of food, I want to eat man!

Today during this pandemic it's even worst Yes, we've eaten out.😝 Restaurants are understaffed/over worked and we're lucky to get a smile.

... Not a fan of In and Out, tastes like McDonald's to me.

I'm of the same opinion. In & Out's big claim to fame is how "fresh" everything is. That doesn't guarantee good flavor in itself. To me their fries were hard and starchy. I'll take Wendy's 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday over In & Out. Good name though. I was in and out in no time, and I never went back.

Yeah boy! I only drank for 1 year (18th birthday to 19th birthday). If it wasn't a Waffle House after a night of drinking it was WC.
Nothing like some WC Steakhouse to soak up some booze. Many times we were in cabs/Uber/Lyfts in various cities on the way home from the bars and we’d have the driver take us through the WC drive thru for a Crave Case (30 burgers) or two.

Back