What are we using for chain lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, PLEASE ...this is a great thread here. Even if you don't agree, there's a great deal of good stuff slinging in the dissection of what all of you define as "truth" ..not to be confused with "fact". All of you are, obviously, very smart and have a great deal of experience and knowledge.

Can we please put the measuring sticks back in the holsters?? We're at about the end of "reasonable" here.
dunno.gif

Thank you, kindly
smile.gif

Maybe this is a very dumb question, but something needs to be broken in here before folks get too angry at one another anyway...

How does this relaite to bicycle lubrication? Particulalry I have real in mountain biking areas that it is sometimes not good to clean a chain, and that dry lubes should only be used because otherwise they allow more partiuculate ingress to the wear areas.

Road bikes tend to get wet lues from what Ive seen... but everyone thinks they know whats best.

Sure, were nott alking hundreds of horsepower on a bicycle, but lubrication is important all the same and the parts are a lot smaller... with 230 lbs of muscle focing that bicycle up a steep incline... things do get stressed!

So, for a tangent, can anyone extrapolate these discussions to how bicycle chains ought to be cared for?

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
If there's one thing you can't skimp on with high-horsepower bikes- it's the chain. And for the Hayabusa- it isn't cheap. I typically find myself replacing the chain and sprockets once a year- or about every 10,000 miles. On high horsepower bikes, the teeth of the chain get literally bent- not in dramatic way- but when you set the old against new, you can clearly see it."

Maybe he's talking about the sprocket, but he did say chain.

You do not trust anything I'm offering, yet you refer us to a message board offering by a fellow who didn't even proof read his material.
Of course he's talking about a sprocket, as we all know (well... maybe we all know)that a chain has no teeth. What the guy was explaining was the difference in new and used sprocket tooth profiles. Which, btw...were deformed due to CHAIN ELONGATION!

When a chain enters a sprocket, the tooth working face meets up with the roller. A slight chordal action takes place with a slight rise and fall of the reel entering the chain wheel.
Once the reel has undergone it's chordal action, it proceeds to the valley that is in between two teeth. Without the rollers in place on the chain, this action would indeed wear the working faces of the teeth. However, the roller provides a means to take away the friction between sprocket and the outside of the roller, and places the friction to the inside diameter of the roler and the bushing, which is lubricated to minimize wear from this action. The pin also rotates against the inside diameter of the bushing at this point, and is also protected from frictional wear by lubrication.

Once the reel is in place in the valley, it remains at complete rest during it's travel, while the corrosponding reels are also at rest in the valleys before and after, because the pitch of the chain is exactly the same as the distance between the center of the tooth valleys.

When the chain exits the sprocket, the roller protects the working faces of the teeth as it did at entry.

Since a roller moving along the surface of the working face does not create any friction at all, (similar to a tire roling on a road) there is no continued wear from the entry and exit of the chain.

Since the friction that IS created is within the chain, and is theoretically protected by lubricant, wear, which is completely seen on the chain components, is kept to a minimum.

ONLY when the pitch of the chain changes, is there a problem with the sprockets seeing any sort of undue stress.
Since the pitch of the worn chain is now slightly longer than the distance between the tooth valleys, the chain rollers will tend to "climb" the working faces of the teeth, and never can actually seat themselves into the valley, as the new pitch chain could.
With increased elongation of the chain, this climbing of the working faces becomes more and more pronounced. As there is less and less material on a sprocket tooth as you go outward, the "meat" of the tooth is less and less able to keep from deforming, due to the elongated chain trying to mesh.
The result is "hooked" or pointed teeth.

The brute force of a bike has NOTHING to do with the deforming of the sprocket teeth.
This fact will be argued as incorrect by many, simply because they are using logic and conventional wisdom in their arguments, and not chain dynamics and engineering absolutes.

In other words, people only "think" that their monster HP bike is what deformed their sprocket.
The fact is that a higher HP/torque bike can indeed accelerate the elongation of a chain, especially a chain that is undersized, or being inadequately lubricated. This accelerated elongation of the chains pitch is what starts to deform the teeth of the sprockets, and not the pull force of the chain.

Quality driver sprockets will often times be case hardened, creating a hard outer surface (that helps protect from extraious contaminants like road grit and sand) yet have a soft inner core that helps to absorb shock load. This is a very important factor when considering using a driver (front or "countershaft") sprocket, as they often will have fewer teeth than proper engineering standards dictate.
The driven (rear) sprocket does not really need to be a super hard item, as it has many more teeth in play, and has the load distributed amoung multiple teeth, reducing the load on each individual tooth.

Yes, wear that cannot be accounted for can occur from the sprockets seeing dirt and grime, or from trail/road hazzards. But, this type of wear is never seen as a typical thing amoung the teeth. In other words, this type of wear will only be seen at the teeth that saw the dirt or hazzard, and not a continued deformation that is exactly the same on each tooth. Only an elongated chain, OR a maladjustment can do this.

More often than not, a person who experiences an almost immediate wear problem will have an adjustment problem, assuming they are providing sufficient lubrication.
I have had customers complain that their sprockets started deforming right away after mounting up brand new stuff. What I will most often find is that the chain was adjusted with insufficent sag. The sprockets may well be perfectly aligned, BUT the tension placed on the chain was a slight bit too much. The result is that when the bike sees a bump, the swingarm changes position, and the chain is forced into a taught postition, which in turn places undue stress on the working faces of the teeth, as the chain is trying to enter the sprocket.
This compressed condition is exactly why we need to have proper tension placed on the chain with it in it's tightest position.
Problem is, that tightest postion MUST be accomplished by either compressing the shock and keeping it in that condition by a cargo strap or weighting the bike. Or by removing the shock completely and then strapping the swingarm in it's tightest postion.
(a straight line from front sprocket-through swingarm-to rear sprocket)

This mounting procedure is missed by many people.
I even see bikes on showroom floors with chains too tight. I know for a fact that guy who buys the bike, and does nothing but ride it away, is going to have problems. Most folks will immediately complain that the OEM chain and sprockets are junk, when in fact, the reason they saw a problem almost immediately is due to the ineptness of the mechanic (or so called mechanic) that assembled the bike.

satterfli,
Yes, it is advantageous to use an automatic oiler like the Scott. However, they tend to make big messes. Another problem that Scott oilers have is that they sling the lubricant directly in the plane of the sprocket and back to the chain. The sprocket meets the chain at the INNER sideplates. Whne the oil meets that chain at this area, it can indeed get to the roler/bushing area and the rings themselves. WHich is all that is needed on a ring chain, as the pin/bushing area is protected by internal lubricant.
BUT, using a Scott oiler while having a standard non-ring chain mounted can be a problem when you use a higher end roler chain.
High end roller non-ring chains tend to now have the bushings mfg'ed as a one piece item, as opposed to the conventional formed bushing.
(a plate that is bent into a circle making a bushing)
A solid bushing can only get lubricant introduced from each end. It has no slot in it latteraly as does a formed bushing chains.
The bushing will also often slightly protrude past the inner plate side.
This condition makes it very hard for the oil to be introduced into the bushing opening, which is on the opposite side of the inner plate where the lubricant goes when it leaves the oiler.

But trust me...I am providing this little pearl of information for the benefit of others. I can see you are a kid with a bad attitude, even resorting to name calling, so I am pretty much done with you, pal.
Like I said, if you care to learn something, I will be glad to help. You want to continue name caling and being a bad clown, then be my guest.
Enjoy your ignorance.

Just a couple of links that may help us to understand the real deal on this issue:

http://www.didchain.com/install.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm
Usually, when the chain is worn out so are the front and rear sprockets. This is because a chain does not "stretch" as it wears. It becomes elongated due to wear in the joints. This changes the pitch, which in turn wears out the sprockets.

Folks have asked me to provide proof of what I'm telling you, and is probaly waranted because it is me that is asserting these facts. However, perhaps it's fair for me to ask those who disagree to also provide a bit of proof that I'm incorrect.
Explain to us how a sprocket wears without the chain elongating, and being perfectly adjusted and sufficiently lubriacated.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Maybe this is a very dumb question, but something needs to be broken in here before folks get too angry at one another anyway...

How does this relaite to bicycle lubrication? Particulalry I have real in mountain biking areas that it is sometimes not good to clean a chain, and that dry lubes should only be used because otherwise they allow more partiuculate ingress to the wear areas.

Road bikes tend to get wet lues from what Ive seen... but everyone thinks they know whats best.

Sure, were nott alking hundreds of horsepower on a bicycle, but lubrication is important all the same and the parts are a lot smaller... with 230 lbs of muscle focing that bicycle up a steep incline... things do get stressed!

So, for a tangent, can anyone extrapolate these discussions to how bicycle chains ought to be cared for?

Thanks,

JMH

JHZR2,
There should be no difference in the care and adjustments made to a bicycle chain, than that of a MC chain. The exact same absolutes apply.
And dry-film lubrication is far superior to conventional fluid film lubrication. For one, dry-film contains a solvent to help clean the asperities of the metal surfaces at application.
The lubriating medium is then distributed to those cleaned asperities and either forms a protecting barrier with dry, polar lubricants, or is chemo-absorbed into the oxide layer of the metal, ready to protect from friction.

Like dirt bikes, mountain bikes see alot of dirt and grime. Using conventional petroleum or parrafin type lubes only accelerate wear due to it collecting the trail dust and creating a grinding paste.

Usually adjustment is not near the issue with bicycles, due to the spring loaded chain tensioners/derailers that bikes have.

Using a rollerless chain (bikers know about these) also means there is more friction at entrance and exit of the chain on the sprockets.
Another reason dry-film use is preffered, as fluid film products cannot keep themselves in place on the OD or the bushing without collecting crud.

Thanks for the info!!!

JMH

P.S. I noted the reference to "chain elongation" above... Us in the MB diesel world, where 300K miles + is the norm, have to measure chain "stretch" each valve adjustment to be sure that things are still in good shape. It has been well established there that the so called chain elongation/stretch is actually wear that causes the chain to sit differently, making things a degree to a few degrees off, to the point where an offset woodruff key needs to be used or the chain replaced. To me (I very well may be wrong) there is no difference between a diesel timing chain and a cycle drive chain... so, the next dumb question of the day is, does the so called "elongation" that you mention above actually result from the chain truly mechanically stretching, or is it actually wear that causes a few extra degrees of length, when gauged from a standard point on a sprocket???

Thanks again!

more comments... in something like a desert endurance race some recommend running a dry chain, and regardless of whether dry or a dry lubed chain is better (duh :^) a dry o ring chain will tend to produce increased roller and sprocket wear without exhibiting 'stretch'. High speed bikes can exhibit similar wear patterns although probably at much lower rates than when running a dry chain.

I do recall having front sprockets which had bent teeth as opposed to just hooked (undercut) teeth.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:

Since a roller moving along the surface of the working face does not create any friction at all, (similar to a tire roling on a road) there is no continued wear from the entry and exit of the chain.

That would explain why rolling element machinery bits like ball and roller bearing rolling elements and races never wear out, particlulary when they are running in the open and exposed to grit.

No, wait they do wear out,
shocked.gif
real fast when things get gritty....could there be a similar wear mechanism on sprockets? Do you think, just maybe, that has something to do with sprocket wear?

My main issue with your theories is that a sprocket doesn’t wear until the chain has stretched by 2.5%. I can plainly see that it does.

If your interested in starting your learning process, I’d suggest you start here:

Root Cause Analysis For Beginners

Don't take offense to the 'Beginners' label, we all had to start somewhere.

Your Pal, satterfi

[ October 20, 2005, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Thanks for the info!!!

JMH

so, the next dumb question of the day is, does the so called "elongation" that you mention above actually result from the chain truly mechanically stretching, or is it actually wear that causes a few extra degrees of length, when gauged from a standard point on a sprocket???

Thanks again!

It's 99%+ wear. If you constrain a worn chain so that it can't buckle or squirm side to side and push on it, it will shorten as much under standard length as it lengthens when you pull it.

Sometimes, but not often, chain bend is given as a check for chain wear. :ay the chain turn flat and lightly try to pull it into a circle sideways. A new chain will stay pretty straight, a worn chain will form a definite radius. Some old Brit MC book I have around here someplace uses that method for checking chain wear.

If you put a length of new chain in a tensile test machine and streatch it to about 80%-90% of yield strength, it will take a set of a very small fraction of a percent. It's small enough that you would never notice it in use, so far our purposes, we can ignore it.

"Since a roller moving along the surface of the working face does not create any friction at all, (similar to a tire roling on a road) there is no continued wear from the entry and exit of the chain.

Since the friction that IS created is within the chain, and is theoretically protected by lubricant, wear, which is completely seen on the chain components, is kept to a minimum.

ONLY when the pitch of the chain changes, is there a problem with the sprockets seeing any sort of undue stress."

O rings keep lube within the pins and pin bushings, but don't do so for the rollers. The pitch is effectively controlled by the pin and bushing clearances which change due to wear, and with an o ring chain they're effectively lubed for some minimum long service interval. The rollers depend upon additional lubing, and when the chains get hot from running at high speed, the speed also throwing off more lube, one will see roller friction increase which will as you noted previously, will dramatically increase wear similar to using a chain with no rollers.

Chain side plates will exhibit a slight bit of elongation from the metal actually stretching, this is commonly known as the "wear-in" period.
But once the intial slight bit of elongation is made by the plates, they will tend to stop elongating from actual elasticity of the plates.
Continued elongation after this period is most assuredly from wear at the pin/bushing area.

Initial chain stretch is something that cannot be ignored. It is a fact of roller chains, and will indeed create a need for adjustment soon after a chain is put into operation.

Some chain mfg's are now "proof stretching" chains after build. ~60% of the total tensile yield force is placed on the chain section. This force, in theory, should be sufficient to force the plates to undergoe the initial break-in period before leaving the mfger. This would take away the need for the initial stretch adjustment that was common practice until such proofing was done by the mfg.

I have not once stated that there is NO wear on a sprocket other than chain elongation. In fact, if you read, you will find I mention several times about grit and hazzards.
However, if you keep the grit to a minimum, the wear a spocket sees from everyday particulates will not effect the operation of the drive. The major cause for sprocket wear, which is chain elongation or mal-adjustment, will show itself LONG before any sort of grit can damage a sprocket beyond useable.

Enduro riders using a dry chain is ignorant. Sorry, but that is fact. I do know why they recommend this action though...it's due to the fact that conventional chain lubes do nothing but create a grinding paste and can ruin a chain in sandy conditions fast.
If only they had a chain lube that would not help to damage the chain drive....wait...no, surely not a dry-film type lube. (shrug)
No way would an enduro rider want to use a chain for more than one race. (shaking head)

At 2.5% of original pitch, a chain is trashed out and the sprockets are probably already showing signs of wear and damage.
A quality sprocket will start to show signs of wear due to chain pitch elongation just under 1%.
The wear increases from that point.
Up until that point though, the sprockets will usually hold up very well and show no physical signs or change. Sure, you could probably show some metal loss with the right equipment, but the integrity of the sprockets operation is not violated until after the chain reaches ~1% elongation.
As an example of a sprocket fighting chain elongation, take the Ironman brand of rear sprockets. They are machined from a very hard crome moly steel. I have witnessed chains that have elongated from wear to over 3% of original pitch, yet the hard rear sprocket shows NO signs of wear. THis is due to the load being more disctributed on a rear sprocket than a front, and the fact that they have used a super hard metal for the sprocket, that fights deformation from the chain.
However, using such a hard rear is a bad idea...and again I'm going against conventional wisdom from steel sprocket users who find these items the holy grail of chain drives.
The probelm is that, since the superhard sprocket fights deformation, the energy that elongated chain exudes onto the sprocket is returned to the chain itself, which can adn WILL cause the chain to elongate even faster than it would if run on a softer aluminum sprocket.
Many riders will be using a very unsafe drive when they use a super hard steel rear, since they see no signs of wear on the sprocket teeth, they will assume things are fine, yet they may be in danger of the chain actually snapping.
Also, the energy that the steel rear fights, and puts back onto the chain, is also passed back to the front sprocket that carries a far greater load per tooth that the rear. This situation will often times leave a rider thinking his chain and rear sprocket are fine, yet the front sprocket simply wore out...some think this simply "just happens", but there is indeed a root cause.

satterfli, I am explaining to you the root cause of sprocket wear and chain elongation. This is something that has been figured out long before you and I were even on the planet.
I'm sure this is new territory for you, but you need to realize this is old hat for many of us that are proffesionals in the field, and have studied these issues ad infinitum.
Opinion can be obtained just about anywhere from anyone...you should really try some study yourself. You may actually change your "opinion" on this issue.

Seems like I am spending alot of time here explaining things to the best of my ability, yet the skeptics and cynics seem to throw out something with very little to back their assertions up.
Detailed explinations would probably get us further into understanding this issue.

[ October 20, 2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Gosh ..I love power posting. It's fun to watch ..even if you can only grasp the fundamentals of what's being discussed.

Our guest panel in this episode has been filled with veterans of distinction and a relative newcomer to the forum.

This program of Firing Line has been brought to you by Boyesen® Offroad Racing.

Disclaimer: The opinions and assertions expressed on Firing Line are that of the panelists and no assurance of authenticity/accuracy, written or implied, is expressed by BITOG.

XS650 wardrobe provided by Andrew Fezza
Istruck wardrobe provided by Paul Dione
satterfi wardrobe provided by Armani
Jaybird wardrobe provided by Donna Karan

all furnished from The Men's Warehouse, Inc.

Join us next week when we discuss String Theory.

For Firing Line, I'm Gary Allan

credits continue to roll....

[ October 20, 2005, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I don't have time for power posting, I guess I usually just 'strafe'. Tht's why my speling is usually bad. Does Paul Dione work for Levi Strauss or Pendleton ?

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

XS650 wardrobe provided by Andrew Fezza

For Firing Line, I'm Gary Allan

credits continue to roll....

Other than the fact that I like Linux, Fezza's work isn't my style.
grin.gif

quote:

Does Paul Dione work for Levi Strauss or Pendleton ?

1sttruck - I was actually going to list yours as L.L.Bean ..but didn't want to single you out of the "beltway crowd" motif.
grin.gif

quote:

Other than the fact that I like Linux, Fezza's work isn't my style.
grin.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

cheers.gif

"1sttruck - I was actually going to list yours as L.L.Bean ..but didn't want to single you out of the "beltway crowd" motif."

Hey, I resemble that :^)

Actually, we've loaded up on LL Bean winter coats on clearance at Sears at the end of season. 650 fill hooded down parkas for $25, the best value in insulated clothing that I've run across. They have wimpy zippers and a light grade fabric, but should last a long time with a bit of care.

I guess that was off topic, but it's helping to keep the thread going :^)

You will no more find me wearing anything by Donna Karan, as you will find an LL Bean coat at Sears. LOL...Both rediculous prospects.

(shaking head)

For those who recommended Amsoil HDMP:

1) Does the smell ever go away? It's been a week and the smell is just as strong as ever. Like you just sprayed it on.

2) What does it mean "use solvent to remove" on the spray bottle? That sounds ominous.

The chain is very quiet with this stuff. Of course I simply added it on to the chain wax and Dupont spray lube for this whole riding season.

Which led me to the question about cleaning solvent (and maybe a NEW thread "What are we using for chain cleaning").

quote:

Originally posted by rg144:
For those who recommended Amsoil HDMP:

1) Does the smell ever go away? It's been a week and the smell is just as strong as ever. Like you just sprayed it on.

2) What does it mean "use solvent to remove" on the spray bottle? That sounds ominous.

The chain is very quiet with this stuff. Of course I simply added it on to the chain wax and Dupont spray lube for this whole riding season.

Which led me to the question about cleaning solvent (and maybe a NEW thread "What are we using for chain cleaning").

The smell from HDMP does go away eventually, and quicker with higher temperatures. Fortunately it smells a LOT better than gear lube. The solvent I use to clean the chain before applying the stuff is WD40. It's harmless to o-rings and doesn't hang around long when the chain heats up.

Another plus for dry-films!
They do not need to be cleaned with a solvent.
A dry-film lubricated chain will clean up with a little soap and a spray from a hose. There are no tackifiers in dry-films to make a gooey mess, as most every other chain lube product does.

And since most dry-films use a light solvent carrier, they tend to clean the asperities of the metal as they are being applied.

Another plus for dry-films is, even after they have been cleaned, they will leave deposits of boundery lubricants that can continue to protect even after you have cleaned the chain and sprockets.
If you do use a heavy solvent to clean a dry-film lubed chain, you may actually be cleaning away the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back