4L80E pressure log woes

I'm trying to determine if I have actual high pressure or if my transducer is faulty and why there is so much noise in my readings. I'm not sure if what I am seeing is accurate or not. To recap the setup:

2000 Fbody, 2005 core, Jakes D3 Plus, Machined EPC block off plug, line to lube in pump drilled .093, OE Boost Valve (new) 24202644, OE Boost Sleeve (new) 24202645, OE pressure regulator valve (new) 8680547, OE washer (used), OE isolator spring (used), OE pressure regulator spring (used), Sonnax 34200-05K o-ringed end plug.

Additional details:

-The PR valve assembly in the bore is all installed in the correct orientation
-The boost valve moves nicely inside the sleeve
-The PR valve moves nicely inside the bore
-Reverse servo cover was sanded, new gasket used, air check on the case for that reverse servo was good
-Dual fed directs
-The reverse feed is not plugged in the case, nor on the center support as jakes D3 valve body handles dual feeding a different way
-Reverse boost is killed in this iteration of Jakes D3 valve body which means pressures in forward should be the same as in reverse, so shouldn't see 280-300 in R
-I didn't use a spring rated for higher pressure because I wanted to see what would happen with a stock assembly in the pump and get a baseline
-All pressures in the images below are with a calibrated dip stick marked at full hot, 1/4 above the pan rail
-Trans temps never got over 126F, even with a wot pull. It was 40F outside and I'm running a Trucool 40k with rad bypassed. Typically car isn't ran in these temps.
-The pressure was logged using a low dollar motorsports pressure transducer seen in the first link below
-HP Tuners MPVI 1 was used the tuning software used to log
-All the voltages and resistances as they pertain to correctly logging with a transducer were verified correct, all transfer math functions in the software are correct
-The transducer is installed using the fittings seen in the image below, and a 6AN cap is used for manual pressure gauge hook up.
-I can log digitally and manually at the same time. When I did this simultaneously during the initial test runs, the numbers were close between digital and manual.
-For the pictures and the logs below, I didn't have the manual pressure gauge hooked up as it's a PITA to get to with the trans installed and I figured digital was good enough, since the numbers were close.
-All the circuits on the valve body and the pump were vacuum checked and the vacuum numbers inboard and outboard for each valve were all in spec prior to install. -All case holes were shot with air to verify correct clutch engagement in each stack.
-The numbers at "warm idle" with blocked EPC seem very high despite the trans temp of 120-130F. I'm seeing 200 PSI once the trans is "warmed up" in park and it spikes much higher when reving at 2000 rpm or so.
- The trans shifts perfect, and it drives perfect. Lockup is working as it should right where I commanded it. Car pulls HARD.
-Pressure shows a steady 200-210 PSI while locked in 4th gear, that seems to be far less noise than any other part of the run.
-Dropped the pan, no metal, fluid looks mint.
-With pan dropped, pulled the parts out of the PR pump bore assembly and they all look fine and nothing is being hung up/stuck.
-I'm using this: https://lowdoller-motorsports.com/collections/pressure-sensors/products/0-300-psi-5v-pressure-sensor

These links are videos of the logs one with a wot pull, one checking pressures in the various gears with the trans warmed up to 116 or so, and one just cruising around and no wot pull. You can see what gear is commanded on the PRNDL (for some reason neutral shows as park), and notice the RPM and MPH along with the pressure increases.

Ignore the white line in the videos, the yellow line without the average function is 30-40 PSI lower than the white line.
If the files won't play right from the link, they can be downloaded and then they should work.
The white line in the images however has the correct parameters entered into the software.

If the media won't download, try replacing "dot" with "."

https://drive.google dot com/file/d/1t472g_yUxM0tKxQY362bZDetqxtXWNBd/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google dot com/file/d/12r-W9zg9F_CLqYVpPtRu7db-l2K1ndHK/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google dot com/file/d/19ke_jQ6e6qL641hCedPoehC3uZfND-TC/view?usp=share_link

My questions are:

1. Should I try a different transducer and see if that fixes the noise that I'm seeing in the readings?
2. I looked at a log using a 100ms filter and the "average" function but it didn't seem to help with the noise
3. Would you say that there is a leak in the forward circuit somewhere? I don't see the o-ring end plug in the PR bore having come out but maybe it's possible?
4. Based on the logs, and trends seen in the various gear selections at idle and at higher RPM along with the log files, where would the leak be located?

At this point, I don't even know if the transducer is giving accurate pressure readings.

Plan is to get a new transducer and log it again once it warms up after the winter with the mechanical gauge hooked up at the same time. The mechanical gauge I have that initially looked to be the same numbers as the transducer is below. If there is in fact a high pressure issue, I don't want to be running it for risk of blowing the case lugs.

4l80e_gauge_6502b840dd0ee9628f186519d4000412906bc53c.jpg

Neutral Idle

neutral_933662f537f6c0f25047101589322cd85246fd0c.jpg

Reverse

reverse_75d6dbd9dbd9c375ec5c44a1866519d408c62907.jpg

D3 and D4 idle - (log file in link above shows where transition occurred)

d3_and_d4_54d1ab10aa50004ee40e505888c8ee6f7e825d0b.jpg

D2 idle

d2_7c422622d72e7fc2c44e037af0b31fc29f081e3e.jpg

Park higher RPM

park_2000_rpm_8229fdfa401ed5d7fd5522b4d99aa90c13797e42.jpg

D4 higher RPM

d4_2000_rpm_759a2027a40c46f9d22d9e183bcf604956fc3e07.jpg

Last edited:
So how can I adjust the transducer so that the data is smooth and accurate? When I try to use a period of 100ms and "average" function, the values jump up 30-40 PSI over "none" and a period of 0ms. I have my parameters setup exactly as someone that is using an MPVI 2 (100ms and average), using the same exact math transform in the image below and his data is much smoother using a cheap $15 sensor on amazon. The other question is are the pressures really this high? The mechanical gauge should tell the full story hooking it up at the same time again.

12.jpg

6.jpg

log_image_e7fcc20a7ffa3a1cca4f910bb9263f772691eb5f.jpg

I wonder if It would be less noisy just hooking the signal, 5v reference, and the ground wire direct from the OEM EGR harness to the aftermarket transducer and bypass the HP tuners input selector nonsense. Then just do a math transform and point it to the EGR sensor. Stock PCM uses a comparer to account for float. Figures they don't make a 5 way male metri pack connector to install into the OEM Delphi 12186056 female EGR plug for a clean install. I'll just use a different 5 way Delphi plug setup.

EGR scematic 2000 camaro.jpg

Hook the mechanical gauge up just to make you have no issues, Record the pressures at various RPM/Loads, Then you can use these logs to fine tune.

Are you using the A/C Pressure Transducer circuits?.....Could be an alternative to the EGR Pintle position circuits & will display as PSI.

I went back & reread the first post.....So the mechanical gauge was behaving the same way?
Yeah the cheap one I have was bouncing and not stable like the videos I watched of others performing pressure checks on the 4L80E so I'm going to get a better mechanical gauge like MAC or OTC. The car does have functioning AC.

MATCO gauges finally arrived. Just need it to get warm one of these days to run some more testing. Using the EGR sensor helped smooth out the signal a little.

When you swapped your 4L80E into your Fbody, did you just leave the PRNDL switch off the 4L80E shift lever and let the PMS tell the ECM what gear it was in? I noticed that in HP tuners, when logging "PRNDL status" in this 2000 Fbody, when the car is physically shifted into Neutral, the status shows "P" and when it's physically shifted into D1, status shows "D2".

P, R, D2, D3, and D4 all show correct. Electronic commanded gear shows correct. Is what I'm seeing normal based on communication of the PMS and solenoids to the ECM, or could there have been something messed up when I did the 4L60E to 4L80E segment and trans diag swap?

Shift linkage is correct as it shifts into all gears using the B&M 80842 ratchet shifter.
I see that there's no difference between Park and Neutral on the PMS so maybe that explains that but, physically shifted into D1, status shows "D2" even though Pin N inputs are different. It's a brand new PMS and resistances were checked with a meter by pressing each of the 5 o-ringed areas before installing.

GearPin N
Input1
Pin R
Input2
Pin P
Input3
ParkHIGHlowHIGH
ReverselowlowHIGH
NeutralHIGHlowHIGH
4th (Overdrive)HIGHlowlow
3rd (Drive)HIGHHIGHlow
2ndHIGHHIGHHIGH
1stlowHIGHHIGH

Last edited:
These links have some information on the 4L80E pressure switch. When the gear is put into D1, it should send fluid right to the PMS and that should send a signal to the ECM that it's in D1.

So the only way I'm thinking it would read D2 is if the shift linkage is off, which should not be the case but an easy way to check I guess is to just remove the shift cable and put the lever all the way in D1 and see if HP tuners shows PRNDL status as D1. If it still shows D2, then something is either causing the flow of fluid to not go to the PMS, or the brand new PMS is bad on that circuit, or something possibly got shorted in the wiring.
It has to be one of those, right?

TFP Sw.: Displays Park/Neutral, Reverse, Drive 4, Drive 3, Drive 2, Drive Lo or Invalid. This parameter is the decoded status of the three A/B/C inputs from the automatic transmission fluid pressure manual valve position switch. Invalid is displayed when the PCM does not recognize a valid combination of inputs.
TFP Sw. A/B/C: Displays HI/LOW, HI/LOW, HI/LOW. This parameter indicates the status of the three inputs from the Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Assembly to the PCM. LOW represents a zero voltage signal. HI represents an ignition voltage signal.

Monitor the TFP Switch A/B/C State in the data stream, The TFP Switch States are the same on both 4L60E & 4L80E.

I would check my Camaro......But I'm running a later P59 PCM, Not a P01 PCM.
I ran a short shift shaft on my 80E swap, So no way to run the PRNDL switch on the side of the Trans.....Besides, All that switch did was Neutral Safety, Back-up Lamps, And the switches for the PRNDL display on the dash/cluster.

Back