What are the current OEM partnerships for factory fill?

I'm just curious as to how each brand interacts with the OE supply chain.
Well, the problem is that we, as consumers, don't have access to what goes on behind the scenes. These relationships are complex, develop over time, and some are closer knit than others - think Mobil-GM for example. I am not a GM fan, however, I trust Mobil implicitly due to their good reputation. In fact, all major oil companies make very good lubricants.

Ford Motorcraft oil is Phillips66.
Outside the USA and around the world Ford works directly with BP and Castrol. Ford recommends Castrol oil and even sells Castrol through dealerships outside the USA. Ford worked with Castrol to develope a specific European spec oil for the 1.0L EcoBoost engine.

Just because an oil fill cap has Mobil1 or some other brand printed on it doesn't mean that's what is in the factory fill. That is just an ad placement. Reminds me of my daughters Ford, it has BP on the gas cap. I'll bet a weeks pay they didn't put BP gas in it at the factory.

My 2011 Mazda owners manual recommends Castrol oil. However the rumor was (and maybe still is) that the factory fill on Mazda engines and the Mazda branded bottled oil is Idemitsu. My local dealer (and supposedly many other Mazda dealers) used Castrol Edge synthetic when I took it there for oil changes. What truly gets poured into the engine - nobody truly knows except the person doing the pouring. It’s all marketing and like others said about $.

I doubt that the supplier is consistent worldwide for any given manufacturer. They bid to a spec and logistics has a big impact.

My 2011 Mazda owners manual recommends Castrol oil. However the rumor was (and maybe still is) that the factory fill on Mazda engines and the Mazda branded bottled oil is Idemitsu. My local dealer (and supposedly many other Mazda dealers) used Castrol Edge synthetic when I took it there for oil changes. What truly gets poured into the engine - nobody truly knows except the person doing the pouring. It’s all marketing and like others said about $.
Mine uses Mobil 1 and I also saw Valvoline. Depends on what customer brings in I guess.

Not sure on factory fill. Wifes CX-5 just hit 1000 miles.

On Castrol's site they proudly list being partnered with the following OEMs (https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...er-with-castrol/castrol-oem-partnerships.html):

Honda
Volvo
Ford
Jaguar
Land Rover
Renault/Nissan
Subaru

Toyota is tied to Exxon-Mobil and BMW switched from Castrol to Shell fairly recently.

What are the other OEM partnerships?
Mobil has an extensive relationship with GM, they've been partners for a very long time and are deeply involved in GM's racing programme. Mobil is also partnered with Porsche (since 1996), Mercedes AMG, Toyota TRD, Bentley and Nissan.

Back