What do you use for drain/fill bolt gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here … and for sure on the GM rear ends … those are great.
I always install a B&M aftermarket transmission drain plug … on that the nylon ring gets swapped for copper (assorted box from eBay) that does a great job of not just sealing … but more resistance for backing out the NPT drain plug …

I use aluminum crush washers on our Soul
and Sorento. They come with the OEM filters.
Never had one leak.

Originally Posted by cos
I've had excellent results with many Fords and now a GM product that have a rubber gasket built into the drainplug. They have never leaked a drop and there is no need for a crushwasher. Why wouldn't every mfr use this design?

Amazingly simple. We have never had to replace a seal on an oil drain plug.

I have usually used the same gasket over the years. Only recall one that leaked. I have bought a packet of gaskets for my Nissan Note but usually keep reusing the gaskets until one day I decide to put on a new one. I installed a Fumoto valve on my F150 so that is a moot issue. Before the valve though I just reused the old gasket.

I use the OEM when ever possible ,but if I do not have any oem drain gaskets,
[Linked Image]

then I use Dorman metal/rubber drain plug gaskets as every auto part store has them and I have never ever had a leak with using them.

Mazda6 SkyActiv-G 2.5 engine: new Mazda dlr supplied Al. crush washer ea. time. Have retained the OEM 8mm Allen head drain plug. Use 25 lb. ft. torque as verified with torque wrench. No leaks. (Mfr. indicated torque range is 23-30 lb. ft.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I've always reused the gaskets
27.gif

I have yet to buy a drain bolt gasket. No leaks.

If you own a Nissan that has the weird copper gaskets shown above, you risk springing a leak every 2-3 oil changes. Horrible. That Toyota crush washer looks good. Going to try that.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I've always reused the gaskets
27.gif

I have yet to buy a drain bolt gasket. No leaks.

If you own a Nissan that has the weird copper gaskets shown above, you risk springing a leak every 2-3 oil changes. Horrible. That Toyota crush washer looks good. Going to try that.

I've driven the Maxima for 85k miles (about 15 OC) on the same flattened "weird copper gasket shown above" that came on the car from the previous owner (who knows if it was ever replaced).
To be on the safe side, I just ordered https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6-M8-M10-...ush-Washer/253312951130?var=552467557412 so I don't have to go looking for a washer in the middle of the night.

I always use a Metal/Rubber gasket for all plugs and if a Metal/Rubber is not available I'll use a rubber gasket.

Most crush washers can be reused a few times if they are torqued to spec... depends really on the application and manufacturer. But they are so cheap, I wonder why I bother reusing. HAHA I know that over-torquing can smash them too much and not get many (or any) re-uses out of them. This is the main reason why I started torquing my drain plugs 8 years ago. Usually I reuse oil plug washers 4-5 times, transmission plug washers 2-3 times (because they are thinner/smaller).

Originally Posted by Tundragod
Re-use it especially when it doesn't want to come off.
Yes, that's a good tip. Mine sticks to the pan, and I deliberately leave it alone, instead of prying it off and using a new one, as Toyota wants us to do. Being stuck in a fixed position means the plastic coating on the gasket is compressed exactly the same way every time on both sides. No leaks so far, in 4 changes. I bought spares anyway, just in case.

I never had leaks with the steel and aluminum washers of previous cars, either, and never needed to replace one. The aluminum one of the Mazda did become significantly thinner by the time I'd done ~100 oil changes with it.

Aluminum or copper. Have never had any leak ever, even when reusing them many times over. Never rubber, nylon, plastic, etc. Heat degrades them.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I helped my dad out with his 1996 Buick Regal. That one didn't need a gasket since the factory drain bolt came with a rubber gasket built in. I bought a replacement once figuring it was about $4 at a dealer and after a while it could probably use a new gasket. Looked like this except there might have been a magnet sort of wedged in there.

[Linked Image]

For that one I use a FEL-PRO 70820. It fits so precisely that it threads onto the threaded portion of the drain plug.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back