What are the current OEM partnerships for factory fill?

Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes (their respective premium and high-end models). You don't care what's in your run-of-the-mill C-class, but the factory fill for an AMG vehicle is of more interest.

And then there is Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren Ferrari, etc, all very expensive vehicles. This is where lubricant manufacturers like to truly promote their factory fill. Because if Shell Helix Ultra works great in a Ferrari, it should do well in a Hyundai as well, right? Or you might care that Bentley uses Castrol as their factory fill, because then it'll do great in your Avalon. Silly examples, I know, but that's kind of the point of marketing.

Rich cuatomers of some of these vehicles will never care what lube runs in the engine, unless they're car enthusiasts.
all I know is I wouldn't buy too much stock in any of it. at most I find it entertaining reading content. you could call it marketing it's just fancy jive talk literature because my final decision on purchasing a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc.. wouldn't be over the fact Castrol or Mobil 1 is recommended or comes in the sump from factory.

Interesting that they list Subaru; there’s been lots of info that Subaru oil is Idemitsu and UOAs have been loaded with about 700-900ppm moly. I don’t think Castrol makes an oil with that much moly; if they do it’s not something they sell OTC. Which would be odd IMO.
Subaru Japan has sold a Castrol 5W-40 oil for several years, but I don’t think partnership referred to by Castrol refers to factory fill.

It used to be on Subaru Japan’s web site although I can’t find any 5W-40 now.

Subaru Japan has sold a Castrol 5W-40 oil for several years, but I don’t think partnership referred to by Castrol refers to factory fill.

It used to be on Subaru Japan’s web site although I can’t find any 5W-40 now.

doesn't Subaru have a diesel market outside of the US states?

all I know is I wouldn't buy too much stock in any of it. at most I find it entertaining reading content. you could call it marketing it's just fancy jive talk literature because my final decision on purchasing a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc.. wouldn't be over the fact Castrol or Mobil 1 is recommended or comes in the sump from factory.
I couldn't care less about badge. I just want simething fun to drive that I can't wait to get in and go. And I'll just run something like AMSOIL, Red Line Oil, or HPL in it for added peace of mind, and because I want to baby my baby. These companies have a niche market with a lotal following and a loyal customer base, so delivering quality products is top priority for them.

I couldn't care less about badge. I just want simething fun to drive that I can't wait to get in and go. And I'll just run something like AMSOIL, Red Line Oil, or HPL in it for added peace of mind, and because I want to baby my baby. These companies have a niche market with a lotal following and a loyal customer base, so delivering quality products is top priority for them.
those brands might be interesting in the after market world but they sure don't spark the interest in auto makers for any joint ventures. the most I know or care to know I would never buy those brands so I don't follow them. so kudos if they are or do ever make it into a factory fill.

I believe Aston Martin still has the marketing agreement with Mobil 1.

Even though these public endorsements are just for marketing, as has been already said, it is interesting that the Astons have the Mobil 1 association, while the Jaguar and Land Rovers are with or have been with Castrol. All three brands have the same parent company. Or used to anyway.

Z

doesn't Subaru have a diesel market outside of the US states?
Yes, but I believe it was problematic and they dropped it. Although not sure if they dropped it because it was problematic. The Castrol 5W-40 was recommended in the 2.0DIT as an option for a thicker grade oil.

There is nothing special about QS/SOPUS garden variety lubes, but they work good enough to put in a vehicle and sell it, and pasibly nurse it through the warranty period.

So, you have doubts that QS can get a car through a warranty period? Changed at factory perscribed OCI?

I would love to see if there is a single failure, just one, where the cause of the engine failure, with properly done OCI's, was the choice of oil. QS meets manufacturerers specifications, so not sure that search will be very fruitful.

Any oil that meets manufacturerers spec is going to get a car through warranty when changed within proper OCI the manufacturer sets. IF there is a failure, it has nothing to do with the oil used, it would be a defect in the engine. I would love to see a failure report that said, "Engine failed because they used Quaker State." Not gonna happen.

So, you have doubts that QS can get a car through a warranty period? Changed at factory perscribed OCI?

I would love to see if there is a single failure, just one, where the cause of the engine failure, with properly done OCI's, was the choice of oil. QS meets manufacturerers specifications, so not sure that search will be very fruitful.

Any oil that meets manufacturerers spec is going to get a car through warranty when changed within proper OCI the manufacturer sets. IF there is a failure, it has nothing to do with the oil used, it would be a defect in the engine. I would love to see a failure report that said, "Engine failed because they used Quaker State." Not gonna happen.
And what did I just say?

I believe Hyundai still pushes Quaker State
I believe KIA still recommends Total

Ironically, I don't believe my local combo H/K service department uses either 🤔
Those two oils were under a Korean contract as factory-fill oils-only.

Mopar, Motorcraft and AC Delco oils dominate American badge dealerships. Honda and Toyota have their own names on their oil jugs in dealership supply rooms.

All these ^^^^^^ do not media-broadcast or promote the real brand name oils that exist in dealership oil jugs. So the actual brand name Partnerships are mostly unknown to most-all new vehicle buyers.

Most-all vehicle buyers don't care anyways. Generally speaking, they never raise their hoods unless low on washer fluid. They get their oil changes at either the dealer, or closest to where they live..... or the cheapest place they can find within five miles of their home.

Oops.... Edited.
I just saw where the thread title asks about factory-fill only? My bad for going too far in this discussion.

Last edited:
You know there are some pretty big independent oil producers here in the states. Amalie, Warren, Lucas....I imagine they may get their share of factory branded oil. You may never know as I am sure the provider changes every contract. It is the lowest cost provider that can meet the minimum specification scenario.

Anyone know what GM is using for their 5.3/ 6.2 engines for factory fill recently? I suspect Mobil 1 synthetic blend.

Back