Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 (Factory Fill) 2754 Miles 2021 Jaguar F Type R

I dumped the factory fill oil and changed the filter at 2754 miles on my 2021 Jaguar F Type R and sent the sample to Blackstone Labs. The engine is the 5.0 Liter Supercharged V8. Note that Jaguar/Land Rover requires the specially formulated Castrol Edge Professional EC5, specification STJLR.03.5006 in 0W-20 which is only available from dealerships and is different from the off the shelf Castrol Edge and Edge Professional blends. I am assuming the EC5 specification is what the factory fill oil was.

I am surprised at the low levels of Moly. The owners manual says 16,000 mile OCI's are recommended. I'll probably pull another sample at around the 7500 mile mark but am apprehensive about running 16k mile OCI's. The report is attached. Comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Blackstone Report Redacted 1-21-22001.jpg
    Blackstone Report Redacted 1-21-22001.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 351
By judging the oil's pds it looks like its a special euro castrol 0w-20 with "boosted" titanium that's means to further increase the anti wear without having to make the oil thicker or increase the sulfated ash since its a boosted gdi engine after all.

Seems like they're just trying to squeeze the most amount of protection out of thin hths oil for maximum performance as thicker oil does reduce performance and this is one of the thinnest 20 grade oils I've seen at 7.7. Regular castrol edge 5w-20 or 0w-20 is 9.1 if I'm not mistaken. And it's hard to increase the protection and cleanliness without increasing the probability of low speed pre ignition as additives can make that worse so they're using non lspi provoking additive formulation to accomplish that but at a thinner hths which makes it harder to do and much more additive dependent. simply cranking the viscosity and hths by a bit reduces the need for such additive package. same thing with 0w-16. it can protect as good if not better than 0w-20 but the additive package and actual oil base stock needs to be better.

Yeah this looks like a max protection and max efficiency low sulfated ash oil and judging from that "Castrol EDGE Professional is now certified CO2 neutral according to the highest global standards. Engineered with micro-filtration in order to meet Castrol Professional’s new quality standard and verified using our new Optical Particle Measurement System (OPMS) to guarantee product quality." makes it sound like it also has a really refined base stock and probably helps with the 16,000 mile interval rating as you need a better than average base stock and additive formulation.

I almost doubt a slightly thicker still low saps high grade oil will harm it. I think we can get recommendations going from other members. I guess they simply expect you to drive it like you're gonna always use that supercharged v8. But if you mostly baby it and occasionally give it some gas for a little bit to not get pulled over I doubt a more regular low saps still high quality and 3.3+ hths 30 grade oil will really be bad for it. Just wouldn't go beyond half the interval they spec as 16,000 miles honestly seems a bit much for that engine and the way it'll be used.

What’s the total sump capacity though? 16k does seem kinda long for such a nice car. That’s easily 2, 3 or even 4+ years for somebody who has one of these as a garage queen / weekend toy which doesn’t see many miles.

JavierH19, thanks for your comments. The special formula oil was $12.95 a quart from the dealer which I didn't think was too bad when compared to a boutique oil like Redline. Too bad it's not found at Walmart for $24.95 for a 5 quart jug !

Artem, the sump capacity is 6.9 quarts (6.5 liters) with a filter change. As part of the warranty, the dealer will do free oil and filter changes once a year or every 16,000 miles. The car is pretty much a fair weather only garage queen so I can't imagine putting 16,000 miles on it in a year. Probably more like 5000-6000 miles a year. Once the car is out of warranty I will still change the oil on about a 5000 mile interval. 16,000 miles just seems pushing it and the cost of an oil & filter change doing it myself with a Mityvac isn't an issue.

There have been many, many threads here on BITOG concerning changing the factory fill early on new vehicles. Looking at my report, it sure seems like a prudent thing to do. I don't think a Blackstone report taken at 16,000 miles with the factory fill oil would look very confidence inspiring.

I can understand going that long once the engine has fully broken in and break in metals have been flushed out after several oil changes.

I can’t imagine that accumulating metallic soup circulating and scraping away at brand new engine components for 16k miles on the factory fill. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Craziness in my opinion.

JavierH19, thanks for your comments. The special formula oil was $12.95 a quart from the dealer which I didn't think was too bad when compared to a boutique oil like Redline. Too bad it's not found at Walmart for $24.95 for a 5 quart jug !

Artem, the sump capacity is 6.9 quarts (6.5 liters) with a filter change. As part of the warranty, the dealer will do free oil and filter changes once a year or every 16,000 miles. The car is pretty much a fair weather only garage queen so I can't imagine putting 16,000 miles on it in a year. Probably more like 5000-6000 miles a year. Once the car is out of warranty I will still change the oil on about a 5000 mile interval. 16,000 miles just seems pushing it and the cost of an oil & filter change doing it myself with a Mityvac isn't an issue.

There have been many, many threads here on BITOG concerning changing the factory fill early on new vehicles. Looking at my report, it sure seems like a prudent thing to do. I don't think a Blackstone report taken at 16,000 miles with the factory fill oil would look very confidence inspiring.
I think I would a few 2500 mile changes till those metal numbers come down. Jmo

@DwightFrye Here is your cheaper alternative: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/563331326

If you dig a little bit, you will find that this is the identical oil to Castrol EDGE 0W-20 C5 sold in Europe, STJLR.03.5006 approved.

Fun fact, the entire US Castrol EDGE EP line is based on that one Castrol EDGE 0W-20 C5 lubricant. Castrol figured that the easiest way to compete with Mobil is to re-brand their Euro lubes because they already exceed API SP and other weak US OEM requirements, such as Dexos 1 Gen. 2.

I hope this helps.

@DwightFrye Here is your cheaper alternative: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/563331326

If you dig a little bit, you will find that this is the identical oil to Castrol EDGE 0W-20 C5 sold in Europe, STJLR.03.5006 approved.

Fun fact, the entire US Castrol EDGE EP line is based on that one Castrol EDGE 0W-20 C5 lubricant. Castrol figured that the easiest way to compete with Mobil is to re-brand their Euro lubes because they already exceed API SP and other weak US OEM requirements, such as Dexos 1 Gen. 2.

I hope this helps.
Interesting. Thanks!

(per engine builders) You actually want friction (low moly) during the break-in period to help the rings and cylinders mate properly. One reason not to change the factory fill extremely early.

happy driving!

Castrol loves to be mysterious,
with their "specially refined" Group III base stocks.

There exist additives that are LSPI friendly, run clean, and can be used in larger dosages.

Enter magnesium.
Enter calcium.
Enter moly.

Back