What an experience! - 2010 Silverado review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes … Chevy has done mostly 5 spoke whereas the 6 spoke was a GMC thing …

Don't like 20's myself and have 18's on my newer units …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Should have seen the seat in my BiL's Silverado went it reached 400k (original engine and 4L60e) … was by far the worst looking thing in/on the truck.
He has a white collar job, so no body odor ! He just should have bought a junkyard seat instead of yet another pad from Autozone …
wink.gif

LOL! My buddy is a heavy truck/bus mechanic and I believe the seat covers pre-date him so.....
lol.gif
Who knows whose funk is wafting from those covers at this point.

Think he was in the next booth at Saltgrass yesterday … that dude put away some calories …
Just hope whatever he drove had leather or a cover …
But hey … paid his large bill with tip … and was a friendly guy out making a living …
(chatted a bit) …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Think he was in the next booth at Saltgrass yesterday … that dude put away some calories …
Just hope whatever he drove had leather or a cover …
But hey … paid his large bill with tip … and was a friendly guy out making a living …
(chatted a bit) …

hahah! Sounds like a solid lad.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Edit: He's confirmed the seat material is cloth so I dunno
21.gif
It's an L-something with 20's on it
lol.gif

If the wheels were on the window sticker, it would be an LT.

Lots of trucks had 20s put on after the fact. The LS at work unfortunately has 20s that were added sometime before we got it...and they are terrible, cheap replicas. All of the center caps have fallen off, and the GM center caps don't fit, so you can imagine how nice that looks. I always thought the garbage replica wheels (probably a lot heavier than OE) were what made the thing so slow. Our ragged out ext cab long bed '04 Sierra 5.3 with over 400K blows the doors off that thing.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Edit: He's confirmed the seat material is cloth so I dunno
21.gif
It's an L-something with 20's on it
lol.gif

If the wheels were on the window sticker, it would be an LT.

Lots of trucks had 20s put on after the fact. The LS at work unfortunately has 20s that were added sometime before we got it...and they are terrible, cheap replicas. All of the center caps have fallen off, and the GM center caps don't fit, so you can imagine how nice that looks. I always thought the garbage replica wheels (probably a lot heavier than OE) were what made the thing so slow. Our ragged out ext cab long bed '04 Sierra 5.3 with over 400K blows the doors off that thing.
lol.gif

OK, must be an LT then.

You can now take solace in the fact that you know the wheels aren't the culprit
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Found the work hooptie on Google Maps street view...
[Linked Image]

We stylin' with our replica twankies and no center caps.
lol.gif

Love what is going on with that tailgate! LMAO!!!
lol.gif

I test drove the previous body style (05?) 2wd 4.8 auto. It was an extended cab short bed with the 17s on it. I didn't think it was a bad driver, I definitely could have dealt with it as a daily driver. But I'm sure the reduced weight from being 2 wheel drive and having smaller wheels. I didn't really thrash it hard as I'm not that type of driver. Apart from the 73-87/91 GM trucks, those are my favorite body style GM truck.

With that said, I've known a few people who toted their Jeeps around on a trailer behind a 4.8 powered 1500. Definitely wasn't any slower than my 5.4 2 valve.

which apparently isn't even capable of staying together behind an engine whose power delivery characteristics were inspired by the engineers at Stihl.

This made me
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88

With that said, I've known a few people who toted their Jeeps around on a trailer behind a 4.8 powered 1500. Definitely wasn't any slower than my 5.4 2 valve.

This thing is markedly slower than my 5.4L 2V that we had in our Expedition, which had a much broader power band and didn't get taken to its knees every time the transmission changed gears.

Geez, anything used for work that has 228k miles on it must be a decent truck. And I can't imagine the trans issues, they simply don't break repeatedly like that.

OP knows we RAM owners can only hope to get that many miles out of our trucks!!!

I believe the 4.8 had VVT in that year. Any chance it was stuck? Yeah it should have tossed a code but I'm still wondering how it could be that bad. The LS motors seemed to have pretty flat torque curves. Maybe the chain stretched, retarding the cam? That should have tossed a code too, though...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Geez, anything used for work that has 228k miles on it must be a decent truck. And I can't imagine the trans issues, they simply don't break repeatedly like that.

OP knows we RAM owners can only hope to get that many miles out of our trucks!!!

I don't believe the 4L60E has a reputation for being overly robust, unlike it's larger sibling. There have been a few threads about it on here, IIRC.

Originally Posted by supton
I believe the 4.8 had VVT in that year. Any chance it was stuck? Yeah it should have tossed a code but I'm still wondering how it could be that bad. The LS motors seemed to have pretty flat torque curves. Maybe the chain stretched, retarding the cam? That should have tossed a code too, though...

Just going by the paper numbers, the 4.8L was 295HP/305ft-lbs, so it's similar to the Pentastar, which I believe most find soft down low
21.gif
And AFAIK, there's no code (pending or otherwise) for the VCT system. Others in the thread have confirmed the 4.8L isn't overly strong down low.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

I don't believe the 4L60E has a reputation for being overly robust, unlike it's larger sibling. There have been a few threads about it on here, IIRC.

4L60 / 700R4 have long been known to be either good or bad, hit or miss. [If you listen only to the webs then more miss than good.] Although I believe this one should be a 4L65, I think with some minor upgrades. It was a good idea in its time but GM milked that 4AT for way too long IMO. Back in the days of lo-po engines that deep first gear made sense, but they still had big jumps as you've noticed. I think the 200R4 had better ratios, of course at the expense of range.

As a work truck it's probably been beat on like a rental. My thought: if this has tall highway gears then I wonder if this thing was constantly unlocking the convertor and was running hot. It should have a trans cooler on it of some sort, but perhaps that wasn't enough, or the constant shifting took them out.

I must have had a half dozen of them … all used on/off road … and know personally twice that many and none failed including the 400k transmission already mentioned … they were what ? 350 HP rated on 300-320 HP engines and if used properly and maintained … better than many others that hit this site.
Shear numbers alone would bring some issues and complaints …

The other thing in my area … if a guy finds themselves pushing a 1500 too hard … they get thier buddies boot you know where to go get a darn 2500 (like them) and tow whatever like mad …
It would be nearly impossible to find a 1500 WT series here …

Originally Posted by supton

Just going by the paper numbers, the 4.8L was 295HP/305ft-lbs, so it's similar to the Pentastar, which I believe most find soft down low
21.gif
And AFAIK, there's no code (pending or otherwise) for the VCT system. Others in the thread have confirmed the 4.8L isn't overly strong down low.

Poking around, I found in my files the curve for 2007+ 4.8L. I see the bump at 4k but it's not dead below that.
[Linked Image]

For the record, I know this isn't a serious review. I've thought about posting a similar "review" of my old Camry and how it's failed to live up to expectations, but I fear it's humor would be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back