What an experience! - 2010 Silverado review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought 4L65 was used on 4.8's in the later years. Guess not. Learned something new today.

You mean it's now fully phased out? 1982 to 2014, pretty good run.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What came on GMT355 vehicles ?

4L60E. I've heard the rumors of 5.3L HO engines having 4L65E's, And Upfitters telling customers that they special ordered 4L65E's behind 5.3L's......It's false information........The latter is outright lying.

Quick look at a "SPID" will prove what transmission a truck was built with.
M30.....4L60E
M32.....4L65E
M70.....4L70E

Originally Posted by supton
I thought 4L65 was used on 4.8's in the later years. Guess not. Learned something new today.

2013 Chevy Silverado 1500
L20....4.8L VVT-Flex Fuel
M30...4L60E

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 4WD
New L83 brings more power and brings it early … I made that choice over known problems with FCA Hemi (only owned one new day Hemi) ~ and my dislike of my own 3.5L ecoboost (and it's complications) …
Did not want to waste even more money on larger GM engines and more bling.
No regrets with my choices

Pretty much where i'm at. Had a 15 Hemi Ram for a short time and loved it, now as they age issues are showing themselves. Got this 4.8 to get me by and its an ok truck but it gets the wind knocked out of it pretty easy. I'm ready for a new truck. Both the Hemi and the 5.0 fords seem to be having issues (cams and oil consumption). Might be stuck to get a 5.3, shich to me seemed underpowered compared to the others but may be the most reliable in the current trucks.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by supton

2013 Chevy Silverado 1500
L20....4.8L VVT-Flex Fuel
M30...4L60E

[Linked Image]

GU5 axle code is the 3.23 gear too, that would really make it a dog. My 3.42 48 is bad enough.

A few notes of interest: first off, imo, the gmt800 platform 07-13, is the s h i t t i e s t truck gm ever slapped a badge on.

Secondly, the engine mapping and shift points kill the 4.8. drive an early GMT 600 with one, some of those will absolutely scream.

Third: that's one of the oddest optioned trucks I've heard off since the mix and match options of the 80's back.

Your review is spot on, and my condolences to your life being wasted in such a terrible excuse for a truck. Only thing worse is an 04-10 f150 with a 3v Triton. Good god almighty I'd rather pedal a bike with flat tires.

Originally Posted by Red91
A few notes of interest: first off, imo, the gmt800 platform 07-13, is the s h i t t i e s t truck gm ever slapped a badge on.

Secondly, the engine mapping and shift points kill the 4.8. drive an early GMT 600 with one, some of those will absolutely scream.

Third: that's one of the oddest optioned trucks I've heard off since the mix and match options of the 80's back.

Your review is spot on, and my condolences to your life being wasted in such a terrible excuse for a truck. Only thing worse is an 04-10 f150 with a 3v Triton. Good god almighty I'd rather pedal a bike with flat tires.

I was going to say, it's definitely not the worst truck ever, that should belong to a Ford with a 3v 5.4 or even a rusted out Dodge.

That said it's definitely a worse truck than the 99-06. My 05 company truck on it's last legs will get out of its own way while the 2013 won't. They both have 3.42 rear axle and carry about the same weight. Our best work truck was the 2002 Sierra 2 wheel drive with a 5.3. It drove like a brand new truck and had tons of power. Unfortunately it rusted out and having a 2 wheel drive is bad for land surveying. The previous part owner bought that truck and it lasted years but the new owner won't buy a 2 wheel drive truck.

I like the early (99-02) 600's. Tough, reliable trucks. I think the best GM trucks were the GMT 400s, especially those with tbi.

When it comes to fords, again imo, they shot the f150 and the Triton in the foot when they debuted that Tonka box pos 04 and the 3v. The "jellybean" f150s with the 2v tritons are solid trucks. Not my favorite but I'd consider one if I needed a truck.

Well I'm no fan of GM trucks of this era but this was not a LTZ. Likely it was a low end LS and being a decade old fleet vehicle with over a quarter million miles I'm not surprised by anything in this review.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Red91

I was going to say, it's definitely not the worst truck ever, that should belong to a Ford with a 3v 5.4 or even a rusted out Dodge.

That said it's definitely a worse truck than the 99-06. My 05 company truck on it's last legs will get out of its own way while the 2013 won't. They both have 3.42 rear axle and carry about the same weight. Our best work truck was the 2002 Sierra 2 wheel drive with a 5.3. It drove like a brand new truck and had tons of power. Unfortunately it rusted out and having a 2 wheel drive is bad for land surveying. The previous part owner bought that truck and it lasted years but the new owner won't buy a 2 wheel drive truck.

2002 Sierra with a 5.3 does not have "tons" of power. More like enough to keep it rolling. 0-60 is a feat if it's under 10 seconds.

I have an 05 Chevy Z71 extended cab, with a 3 inch lift and larger tires. I know, but it was 15 years ago and the dealer had installed the lift, 32 inch tires, and the truck was new. I really liked the look of it. It was geared 323 and would gear hunt all the time. I had 456 gears installed front and rear and it helped a lot, but truck is still pokey at best. The shift points are very low, accelerating from a start under part throttle and it is in 3rd gear before you can cross a four way intersection. Also it will not downshift into passing gear above 50 MPH. I have been told to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then hook It back up and drive it hard. The computer will then set new shift points. Haven't tried it but might. Having said all that, truck has been pretty good, I had to replace the dash stepper motors, AC blend door, and heater relay. the truck has 88 thousand miles and people, mostly younger, want to know if it's for sale everywhere I go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back