What an experience! - 2010 Silverado review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
For the record, I know this isn't a serious review. I've thought about posting a similar "review" of my old Camry and how it's failed to live up to expectations, but I fear it's humor would be lost.

I have an idea, write your review, PM it to edyvw and let him post it in a new thread. Then sit back, get some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
For the record, I know this isn't a serious review. I've thought about posting a similar "review" of my old Camry and how it's failed to live up to expectations, but I fear it's humor would be lost.

I have an idea, write your review, PM it to edyvw and let him post it in a new thread. Then sit back, get some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

lol.gif

Who me …?
Well, if you did the Toyota … I'd stay clear since I have never owned one. Where I don't is when it is something I have owned and had good results …
Look, folks here also pile on after the whistle … and it's often someone who never owned the products

4L60 / 700R4 have long been known to be either good or bad, hit or miss.

Exactly. There's no in between. Being in "chevy country" , there's a ton of people with them. It's either going to go 400K or you're going to be replacing it every 50K.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Who me …?
Well, if you did the Toyota … I'd stay clear since I have never owned one. Where I don't is when it is something I have owned and had good results …
Look, folks here also pile on after the whistle … and it's often someone who never owned the products

In my experience it's almost always someone who hasn't even sat in one- never mind owned one. I think that many of those poor fools are motivated by bitterness, sour grapes, or jealousy- and they slam particular vehicles as an inexpensive way to self-medicate.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I believe the 4.8 had VVT in that year. Any chance it was stuck? Yeah it should have tossed a code but I'm still wondering how it could be that bad. The LS motors seemed to have pretty flat torque curves. Maybe the chain stretched, retarding the cam? That should have tossed a code too, though...

Just going by the paper numbers, the 4.8L was 295HP/305ft-lbs, so it's similar to the Pentastar, which I believe most find soft down low
21.gif
And AFAIK, there's no code (pending or otherwise) for the VCT system. Others in the thread have confirmed the 4.8L isn't overly strong down low.

Poking around, I found in my files the curve for 2007+ 4.8L. I see the bump at 4k but it's not dead below that.
[Linked Image]

That's a very steep power curve
lol.gif
There's a 100HP difference between 3,500 and 5,500RPM! But yeah, this one is like a light switch at 4K, so I'm guessing maybe you are onto something with the VCT acting up and it just isn't bad enough to flag a code yet.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

BAH HAHAHHAH!
lol.gif

lol.gif
There's a 100HP difference between 3,500 and 5,500RPM! But yeah, this one is like a light switch at 4K, so I'm guessing maybe you are onto something with the VCT acting up and it just isn't bad enough to flag a code yet.

Thing is, yeah HP is on a steep curve. But. Torque is applied force, horsepower is how fast you're getting it done. If you apply the same torque at 5,000rpm as you do at 2,500rpm, you have twice as much horsepower--well duh, the crank is turning twice as fast and you're doing the same amount of work--but twice as fast. But it's technically the same applied force. Which means it should accelerate at the same rate at 2,500rpm as it does 5,000rpm.

There is a nice bump at 3,500 rpm, but I'd call it 10%. Doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference, at least not to me. But maybe it really does, after all, I'm not sure when you last sent your rump out for a proper butt-dynometer calibration.
lol.gif

lol.gif

Thing is, yeah HP is on a steep curve. But. Torque is applied force, horsepower is how fast you're getting it done. If you apply the same torque at 5,000rpm as you do at 2,500rpm, you have twice as much horsepower--well duh, the crank is turning twice as fast and you're doing the same amount of work--but twice as fast. But it's technically the same applied force. Which means it should accelerate at the same rate at 2,500rpm as it does 5,000rpm.

There is a nice bump at 3,500 rpm, but I'd call it 10%. Doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference, at least not to me. But maybe it really does, after all, I'm not sure when you last sent your rump out for a proper butt-dynometer calibration.
lol.gif

LOL!

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by 4WD

Who me …?

In my experience it's almost always someone who hasn't even sat in one- never mind owned one. I think that many of those poor fools are motivated by bitterness, sour grapes, or jealousy- and they slam particular vehicles as an inexpensive way to self-medicate.

If you're referring to me, no I have never owned a GMT900, but I am just a little familiar with them given that I sell parts for them daily at a GM dealership, and am responsible for ordering parts and arranging service for the one at work. And I have driven it plenty over the three years we have had it. It wasn't really my intention to slam them, I was just stating my opinion based on my experience that this particular platform isn't the best one GM has produced, and that other trucks they have produced are generally better. When 4WD questioned that, I gave my reasoning. If you want to see me actually slam something, find a thread about 2011+ Explorers.

If someone believes the GMT900 is the best truck platform GM has put out, they are more than welcome to share that opinion too. I'd be interested in hearing why it's better than the other platforms I mentioned, other than I don't own one.

This sub forum would be pretty boring if all we could post is praise for vehicles we have personally owned. Sometimes there is a little too much sensitivity here.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by MCompact

If you're referring to me, no I have never owned a GMT900, but I am just a little familiar with them given that I sell parts for them daily at a GM dealership, and am responsible for ordering parts and arranging service for the one at work. And I have driven it plenty over the three years we have had it. It wasn't really my intention to slam them, I was just stating my opinion based on my experience that this particular platform isn't the best one GM has produced, and that other trucks they have produced are generally better. When 4WD questioned that, I gave my reasoning. If you want to see me actually slam something, find a thread about 2011+ Explorers.

If someone believes the GMT900 is the best truck platform GM has put out, they are more than welcome to share that opinion too. I'd be interested in hearing why it's better than the other platforms I mentioned, other than I don't own one.

This sub forum would be pretty boring if all we could post is praise for vehicles we have personally owned. Sometimes there is a little too much sensitivity here.

No, I wasn't referring to you in any way. I was describing the half-wits that mindlessly parrot internet hearsay. For example, in one thread a member asked for input about a particular make and model. One fool responded, "To the best of my knowledge the[sic] are the[sic] money pits when out of warranty." When pressed for the basis for that astute opinion he responded that a "guy at work" had one and he had watched some YouTube videos. Another dimwit defended his negative opinion of a particular brand by explaining that he knew two people that owned them and furthermore he had actually ridden in one.

Gotcha, yes there are definitely plenty of baseless posts in vehicle specific threads. I try not to do that, though I will admit CUVs with SUV names sometimes set me off.
lol.gif

I believe the 4.8 had VVT in that year. Any chance it was stuck? Yeah it should have tossed a code but I'm still wondering how it could be that bad. The LS motors seemed to have pretty flat torque curves. Maybe the chain stretched, retarding the cam? That should have tossed a code too, though...

Just going by the paper numbers, the 4.8L was 295HP/305ft-lbs, so it's similar to the Pentastar, which I believe most find soft down low
21.gif
And AFAIK, there's no code (pending or otherwise) for the VCT system. Others in the thread have confirmed the 4.8L isn't overly strong down low.

Poking around, I found in my files the curve for 2007+ 4.8L. I see the bump at 4k but it's not dead below that.
[Linked Image]

lol.gif

Every brand continues to advance power and efficiency … I have more efficient and less powerful vehicles like a Hybrid, a small turbo, and a Pentastar … but GM V8's keep bumping up power and mpg too. I'm fine with 6 speeds … hate CVT … and 10 speeds seem to need improvement

D607D698-A0EA-4483-9285-6E438D9C0E08.jpeg

Originally Posted by Miller88

4L60 / 700R4 have long been known to be either good or bad, hit or miss.

Exactly. There's no in between. Being in "chevy country" , there's a ton of people with them. It's either going to go 400K or you're going to be replacing it every 50K.

The problem lies with "builders" replacing frictions & putting the unit right back in service, Thus resetting the 50K to burndown merry-go-round. You have to find & fix the cause.
Not that the 700R4/4L60E doesn't have inherent design flaws....They have their fair share!

The 2005 & up versions have done VERY well. And no....This is not a 4L60E vs 4L65E thing as the 65E was ONLY installed in vehicles with 6.0L engines! A LOT the marked longer life can be contributed to more advanced Torque Management & more precise machining....Most notably the Pumps.

After 2008 MY.....The 4L60E was regulated to strictly 4.3L & 4.8L duty 'til it was completely phased out for the 2014 MY.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Geez, anything used for work that has 228k miles on it must be a decent truck. And I can't imagine the trans issues, they simply don't break repeatedly like that.

OP knows we RAM owners can only hope to get that many miles out of our trucks!!!

I don't believe the 4L60E has a reputation for being overly robust, unlike it's larger sibling. There have been a few threads about it on here, IIRC.

Yes, a few! But the trans is easily repaired and most parts have been updated so the reliability issues are over after the rebuild.

We have had 4L60E's last the life of the truck behind 5.3's. We have also had one or two fail. But we have never had more than one rebuild done! My son has a pumped up 6.0 in his Yukon with a rebuilt 4L60E behind it, it is very robust and reliable.

No 4L65E has failed here yet, one is still in service.

I have driven our 2013 work truck with the 4.8 with vvt and it felt gutless at lower RPM compared to the high mileage 2005 with the regular 4.8 that I drive for work daily. It also needs to downshift or wind up a bit but it comes on around 3000 rpm and the transmission holds the gears out long enough that it really pulls pretty well considering the weight we have in the back. Maybe something wrong with the vvt or just the way they are. Besides those I've driven 3 two wheel drives 2 of them a 4.8 (one with 410k miles) and one with a 5.3 which was awesome to drive (no downshifting on almost any hills).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back