What an experience! - 2010 Silverado review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I laughed, solid 10/10. Rancid cheese
crackmeup2.gif

07-13 was a rough period for GM trucks and definitely not their best work. We have one 13 4.8 at work and it has not held up as well as the GMT800s we still use, despite lower miles and obviously being newer. Just my experience.
27.gif

I'm sure given the millions of GMT900s built there are plenty of good ones, but in my experience the GMT800s and later K2 trucks are generally better designed and built.

900s have lots of body issues and AFM was a joke on the 5.3s. There is a reason why most any GM dealer has at least one full set of active lifters and associated parts in stock, we even used to stock the camshafts. Granted, that doesn't apply to 4.8s, but the body issues do.

Amazingly, the black dash is still in good shape on the one at work, but it's the base dash. I've got the upper level dash in stock because they crack all the time, pretty sure I've got a base door panel too since that's the only way GM sells the interior handle that breaks all the time (there is an aftermarket handle only replacement). The rest of the interior on the truck at work is falling apart for no apparent reason (pillar trim fell off, window switches pop out, seats are junk). The driver's door also feels like it's about to fall off, though I will say I haven't encountered that on many other 900s. This truck is used for delivery, so the door is opened a lot, but it only has around 150k on it. We have 300k+ mile 800s that have held up better aside from sloppy steering. The later K2 trucks seem to be a huge improvement aside from AC issues and sometimes "Chevy shake." The engines are definitely better.

Sorry, just my experience. I don't feel the 900 was an improvement on the old trucks aside from rack & pinion steering. It was a stopgap to get a more modern truck out during hard times, but it wasn't a better truck in my experience. The K2 was the better truck they finally came up with.

Sounds pretty similar to a family member's 05' Tahoe that I've driven a lot. A dog on power until the RPM's are high.

My 5.7L Vortec C1500 was a joy to drive with the low end grunt and good throttle response.

With the cloth interior, 4.8L engine, very basic stereo, and rear drum brakes this truck sounds like a LS or LT model with 20" wheels thrown on after the fact, not a LTZ model. In 2010, the Silverado LTZ came standard with leather. Sure, you could order a Silverado and delete options but then Chevy wouldn't have badged it a LTZ.

What the moose knuckle cluck ??

LTZ ??
- Cloth interior
- 4.8L engine
- 4x4
- Very basic stereo
- Crew cab
- Rear drum brakes
- 20" wheels

Unless its some weird canadian package. The LTZ pkg never came equipped like this. Those options sound a lot like a base W/T or LS package. LTZ was top of the line with Leather, Sunroof, ALL options, 5.3 or 6.0 engine

I do agree with our canadian friend, When those generation truck were new, I rented a 20?? silverado 4.8 crew cab years ago and boy was that a SLOW DOG !!!

Dave

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
unfortunately the driver seat has a funk that, when heated by the body, resembles that of rancid parmesan. My buddy was laughing pretty hard as I'm driving with the windows down trying to air out the stench.

Sounds more like your "buddy" needs to bathe on a regular basis.

I've never figured out why some folks always feel the need to "review" every vehicle they drive.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD
6 hours ~ ? Lost me there O/K

This isn't a C&P, I wrote it, this was literally where I spent six hours today, in this truck.

Nice review. I do agree GM have terrible dash / cluster designs.

I really enjoyed the review. I like levity in the morning.

I had a chance to drive a 2004 Chevy Suburban that had the 5.3 engine in it. I felt just the opposite about the torque curve in the Suburban. I enjoyed driving it enough to want to get a Chevy pickup of the same vintage. I was thinking that the 4.8 engine would be just fine, but from your description, I would be inclined to stick with the 5.3. I like good low end torque.

My 03 Dodge Cummins has what I would call a nice power band, but the truck is longer than a [censored]'s dream being a quad cab and a long bed. It makes for difficult maneuvering with a pontoon boat at some of the smaller and busy boat launches.

I have been thinking about getting an 03 or 04 GM pickup with a standard cab and a short bed. That I think would be just about right for me. Or even a Tahoe..

I would have a tough time with the rancid cheese smell though..
13.gif

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Thanks for the amusing review, Overkill. Excellent parody of car-mag style.

He should have ran over it with a British tank at the end. Those shows are heavy on the Brit humour.

I thought the review was interesting! Thanks Overkill. I have driven the 2017 5.3 Silverado and a 2018 impala both with under 15k miles where the trim was falling apart inside the car...doesnt invoke much confidence in their quality...

I drove a 2008 Chevy 1500 company truck with a small V-8 , from new to 140000 or 160000 miles . At which point some one ran into it & totaled it . No major problems , outside of suspension repairs .

Next was a 2007 1500 Chevy . At 240000 or 260000 miles , developed some valve tic noise , when cold ,

I figured the boss got his money out of each . Currently driving a 2014 F150 with ~ 97000 miles on it .

Originally Posted by alchargo
With the cloth interior, 4.8L engine, very basic stereo, and rear drum brakes this truck sounds like a LS or LT model with 20" wheels thrown on after the fact, not a LTZ model. In 2010, the Silverado LTZ came standard with leather. Sure, you could order a Silverado and delete options but then Chevy wouldn't have badged it a LTZ.

I forgot to add, it has seat covers on it. The 20's were definitely stock. I will have to ask my buddy what the seat material is underneath the covers, but I had assumed cloth.

These are what the wheels look like, though with a fair bit more weather on them:
[Linked Image]

Edit: He's confirmed the seat material is cloth so I dunno
21.gif
It's an L-something with 20's on it
lol.gif

Should have seen the seat in my BiL's Silverado went it reached 400k (original engine and 4L60e) … was by far the worst looking thing in/on the truck.
He has a white collar job, so no body odor ! He just should have bought a junkyard seat instead of yet another pad from Autozone …
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back