Wendy's hamburgers are now nasty tasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hasn't anyone here been to Five Guys?

Great quality burgers served up old fashioned style.

They have one in Miami Beach..Their burgers are awesome!

5 Napkin Burger in Miami Beach is also awesome..The Shake Shack in Miami Beach also has awesome burgers.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hasn't anyone here been to Five Guys?

Great quality burgers served up old fashioned style.

They have one in Miami Beach..Their burgers are awesome!

5 Napkin Burger in Miami Beach is also awesome..The Shake Shack in Miami Beach also has awesome burgers.

I thought it was all about Cheeburger Cheeburger in Florida.
21.gif

I think Wednesday is better quality and little healthier than McDonald's, Burger King and the like. And I don't say that because they are based near my hometown lol. I like their natural cut fries but usually get the baked potato. I don't like the changes they made to the single hamburger. It all sounded good on paper but the previous one was better. Maybe they'll pull a Coca-Cola and go back to the classic version.

Quote:
In the end, Wendy's researchers changed everything but the ketchup. They switched to whole-fat mayonnaise, nixed the mustard, and cut down on the pickles and onions, all to emphasize the flavor of the beef. They also started storing the cheese at higher temperatures so it would melt better, a change that required federal approval.

I've noticed now even if you order it with "everything" you have to specifically ask for mustard. That is so stupid. Then they all come with cheese now. And even if you order no cheese you are still paying for cheese. Nice money making change there. I usually don't get mayonnaise and good thing now that they are using full-fat mayonnaise (full of soybean oil). But then the sandwich taste kind of dry and lean.

I've probably tried most of the burger joints and if the restaurant is clean Wendy's works for me about as good as any of them. White castle (another Ohio based burger joint) and Sonic are aweful. I did't like In-out-burger much. To me it seemed like a bad rendition of a Big Mac and I didn't like the fries either.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
... and Sonic are awful.

I have a theory about Sonic.

The further away you get from Oklahoma (Sonic's home), the worse it gets.

I had Sonic in Oklahoma City and I thought, "Why don't we eat here all the time?! This is awesome!" Then I got back home, had it again and I remembered why I did not eat Sonic. It was soggy and bad.

Maybe they don't quality check Sonic outside of Oklahoma.

Man, 5 guys is really great, and they make a line of petite burgers if you're mindful of the volume.

But we love their fries. When you order there are potatoes and pure peanut oil stacked up all over! The simplest and greatest fries I have ever had anywhere. Not to mention they cover you in them!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
... and Sonic are awful.

I have a theory about Sonic.

The further away you get from Oklahoma (Sonic's home), the worse it gets.

I had Sonic in Oklahoma City and I thought, "Why don't we eat here all the time?! This is awesome!" Then I got back home, had it again and I remembered why I did not eat Sonic. It was soggy and bad.

Maybe they don't quality check Sonic outside of Oklahoma.

They built a Sonic near me...finally. I like their drinks. But the burger I had there a few months ago tasted like it was one of those soy burgers or something. I asked the car hop, she swore it was all beef, their website claims all 100% beef hamburgers....but blech that stuff was aweful.

We have Culver's here too. The problem with Sonic, like Whitecastles, isn't so much the taste but like you mentioned that the patty seemed to have fillers. And/or the bun has hydrogenated soybean oil. I can always tell when something I ate has fillers, hydrogenated fats or a lot of soybean oil, I feel kind of icky later.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like 5 Guys. I've never been a "fry guy" so great fries really are not a draw for me.

I like a thick, juicy burger and 5 guys overcooks them for my tastes.

However, it's been over 3 months since I've had a burger, so I suspect any burger may taste good right now.

But if I had to pick a fast food burger today, it would be a Hardees Thick Burger, no mayo nor ketchup. Or something similar from Rallys.

But if I were going to indulge, it probably would not be fast food. It would be Red Robin, Fuddruckers or someplace similar.

I think my absolute favorite is Fuddruckers

Backyard Burger is very good. It's a franchise, but I don't know where they are based at.

Sonic is also very good and very popular around here; a client of mine had a few Sonic stores, they looked like a license to print money.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
But if I were going to indulge, it probably would not be fast food. It would be Red Robin, Fuddruckers or someplace similar.

I'm with you on that. Man, I haven't been to a Fudds in a decade probably. When I was a kid, we'd go there at least once every two weeks.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: javacontour

I'm with you on that. Man, I haven't been to a Fudds in a decade probably. When I was a kid, we'd go there at least once every two weeks.

I broke the burger fast this past weekend. I was paged out at 3:30 AM and was coming home at about 4pm in the afternoon.

It ended up a Hardees 1/4# thick burger, no mayo, no ketchup. It really hit the spot after 12 hours of trying to understand the off shore teams with whom I was working.

We have Culver's here too.

+1 on Culver's. Worth the drive for me. That lemon ice they serve is GREAT on a hot day.

That sucks, did the double stack change as well?

My opinion:
Wendy's = best fast food burger, dollar menu is great, other burgers to expensive.
Sonic = mediocre, expensive burgers.
Five guys = Good burger, but a little expensive and not very many around.
Culver's = Best of all mentioned, no contest

Culver's also has the best ice cream, but sadly it's something I can't enjoy anymore.(lactose intolerant)

If you are in northeast ohio try swenson's drive in.. yum. the ole brown sugar burger with buttered toasted bun.

http://www.swensonsdriveins.com/

Just dont eat at the one on hawkins.. they demolished the org. place from 1934 and built this glass monstrosity building and the food at that one now is horrid.

Howe rd, and fairlawn are the 2 best imo.. though stow is ok too.

Last edited:
We just got a few Cheeburger Cheeburger restaurants here. Honestly I wasn't too impressed. Reminded me of an overpriced 50's diner, no better than Johnny Rockets.

We just got a couple 5 guys restaurants in the area, they are not close enough to me so I haven't been to one yet.

The wendy's dollar menu burgers taste pretty much like a roll with no meat on it, I'm not sure what people expect for a buck. The problem with wendy's is any of their decent meals cost 8-9 bucks, this is too much for fast food.

I try to eat healthy at places like mcdonalds or wendys when I need a quick lunch, but their salads are usually not appealing. The mcdonalds southwest salad made me physically ill.

Usually the baked potato and the bowl of chili at wendy's is a good bet. I miss the old days when they had the Superbar at wendys, that was a pretty good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back