Wear or Gas Mileage

Proof that 30wt oils protect better or is this just some opinion piece
Manufacturers recommend it for towing and/ or HD usage.

The Ford 6.2 gasser specs 5w20 in the Raptor, but 5w30 in the super duty. Toyota recommends going up in viscosity on the 4R if it’s used for towing too. That’s only 2 examples, but I have first hand experience with both.

Bought my current F150 two years ago with 151,646 miles. From what I can tell with service records I found from the previous owner it was changed regularly with 5W20 at the dealer. Hasnt had 5w20 since. 5W30 every 5k and next change will be 10W30. Im a few miles away from hitting 200k, runs just fine, no 20 wt for me.

The Amg Cla 45 is specced with 0w20 from the factory. The 45s is running a closed deck with a peak boost pressure of 30psi. The amount of stress in the engine is astronomical, and it is specced 0w20. There are plenty of cars in the fleet to make up gas mileage, so Amg must believe it is good to go. If that car can run 0w20 im 100% certain any other grocery getter will be fine.
There are plenty of race cars that use ultra thin oils too. They do a great job of managing flow, temperature and so on. However, it is absolutely improper to compare a huge and powerful boosted engine that spends all of it's life under little stress to a "grocery getter". As that little normally aspirated, direct injected, low quality 4 cylinder works hard, is designed for efficiency, probably has poor or non existent oil temperature control, and may in fact be subject to continually higher stresses. That's why they often don't last.

While not always the case, inertial loads of high RPM can greatly exceed the peak loads of modest boost at lower RPM.

There are plenty of race cars that use ultra thin oils too. They do a great job of managing flow, temperature and so on. However, it is absolutely improper to compare a huge and powerful boosted engine that spends all of it's life under little stress to a "grocery getter". As that little normally aspirated, direct injected, low quality 4 cylinder works hard, is designed for efficiency, probably has poor or non existent oil temperature control, and may in fact be subject to continually higher stresses. That's why they often don't last.

While not always the case, inertial loads of high RPM can greatly exceed the peak loads of modest boost at lower RPM.
While what you are saying makes sense, there is absolutely no way a low hp 4 cylinder is undergoing more stress than a boosted 4 cylinder that makes over 200hp per liter and runs a factory closed deck due to this stress.
There are plenty of 0w20 oils with a HTFS over 2.0. In fact some of the better blends like M1 EP and Ravenol ECS 0w20 have a higher HTFS than other 5w30s due to low VII

Back