WD40 What is in it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Molakule hasn't done a VOA on WD-40. Oh yeah, its not a motor oil.
shocked.gif
Nevermind.
tongue.gif

I have actually heard of people spraying it on their joints, when stiff from arthitis. Really. Can you say LIVER DAMAGE?

I got some background on the stuff years ago. Seems the perfume is the portion of the mix that was patented.
The MSDS for WD40 used to say the main ingredient was stoddard solvent. Little wonder the main ingredient could not be patented. Take a look at the description below.
I just double checked and found the MSDS has been updated just weeks ago - November 2003. Instead of saying stoddard solvent it uses less layman-like terms.

What is Stoddard solvent?
(Pronounced stod'ard sol'vent)

Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150–200 ° C.

Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits.

Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser.

Some time around 1998 WD-40 changed the propellant in the can from propane I beleive to CO2. This is why it USED to be a good starting fluid, especially for two cycle engines. It is of course no longer explosive enough to start an engine, but is still flammable enough to burn, being made out of oil.

Thanks to reading this thread, I actually won the table centerpiece at our company Christmas Dinner.

Assorted trivia questions were asked and the first correct reply won the centerpiece. After several other centerpieces were won, the following question was asked: WD-40 was the fortieth formula (or something like that), what does WD stand for?

"Oh, oh, oh, I know that one."
grin.gif

My co-workers.
rolleyes.gif

"Water Displacer"
smile.gif

Won the centerpiece.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the help, Pablo.
wink.gif

[ December 24, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mark in NY:
[QB]
I just double checked and found the MSDS has been updated just weeks ago - November 2003. Instead of saying stoddard solvent it uses less layman-like terms.

You can work backwards from the CAS numbers in their MSDS

CAS 8052-41-3 45-50% is stoddard.

I think the problem with WD40 is that it needs to be followed up with a lubricant, but most people think the WD40 is a lubricant and don't. I prefer CRC Power Lube (formerly CRC 5-56).

I once used a can of WD40 to wipe out an ant nest in the telephone pole. Emptied the whole can in there. Followed up with spray foam insulation. Worked great.

I sometimes use WD40 as a cleaning solvent, but mainly I use it as a short term rust preventative on tools in the garage. It's cheap enough when bought by the gallon that I don't mind spraying down the lawn mower top to bottom, front to back, after scraping/ hosing/ brushing/ drying it off. Spray it inside the handle, on all joints, etc., to try to keep the rust at bay. I use it on saws, axes, shovels, hammers, etc., but I don't use it as lube.

For my purposes, WD-40 works best as a cleaner/solvent that drys & leaves a light film of surface oil.

Major ingredients based on the November 2003 MSDS data:

CAS 8052-41-3 Stoddard Solvent 50%
CAS 64742-65-0 Petroleum base oil 25%
CAS 64742-47-8 Naptha 15%

Butyl Carbitol may still be part of the formulation, but only as a minor percentage.

I got the following info from a friend, by e-mail, without attribution to an author. Somebody wrote it. Anybody know who? Maybe it's already been posted on this site.

WD-40 Stuff You Didn't Know

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. It's name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets it's distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here Are Some Of The Uses:

-Protects silver from tarnishing
-Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
-Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
-Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery
-Keeps flies off cows
-Restores and cleans chalkboards
-Removes lipstick stains
-Loosens stubborn zippers
-Untangles jewelry chains
-Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
-Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
-Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
-Removes tomato stains from clothing
-Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
-Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
-Keeps scissors working smoothly
-Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
-Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
-Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers
-Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
-Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
-Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
-Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers
-Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
-Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
-Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling
-Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly
-Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools

We're not through. Here's more;

-Removes splattered grease on stove
-Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
-Lubricates prosthetic limbs
-Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
-Removes all traces of duct tape

I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, knees, etc., to relieve arthritis pain.

One fellow claims spraying it on fishing lures attracts fish.

WD-40 has been designated the "official multi-purpose problem-solver of NASCAR," a ringing endorsement if there ever was one. I told my NASCAR loving sons about this and they said they couldn't imagine how WD-40 can solve the Jeff Gordon problem.

In celebration of their 50th year, the company conducted a contest to learn the favorite uses of it's customers and fan club members, (Yes, there is a WD-40 Fan Club).

They compiled the information to identify the favorite use in each of the 50 states. Naturally I was curious about Georgia and Alabama and found the favorite use in both states was that it "penetrates stuck bolts, lug nuts, and hose ends." Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes lovebugs from grills and bumpers." California's favorite use was penetrating the bolts on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Let me close with one final, wonderful use--the favorite use in the State of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

No wonder they have had 50 successful years.

quote:

The dealership already had drained the fluid to ship the trans back as a core as it is a warranty issue. It ended up on my bench for study. Have any of you guys ever heard of putting WD40 in transmission or a product that would smell like WD40 that might be marketed as a transmission additive. It smells strong of WD40.

Some of the older Type A transmission fluids had a kerosene-like fluid they used as a solvent for making sure the chemical components mixed properly.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Don't ever spray a gun with WD40! I have never done this myself, but people who have often wind up with guns that will not shoot.

This is complete nonsense. I've used WD40 to oil my shotguns, rifles, and handguns for the last 30 years with no problems at all.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Don't ever spray a gun with WD40! I have never done this myself, but people who have often wind up with guns that will not shoot.

This is complete nonsense. I've used WD40 to oil my shotguns, rifles, and handguns for the last 30 years with no problems at all.

I wouldn't say it is complete nonsence. I use to use it on my guns also but had problems with WD 40 leaving a gummy residue. Sometimes held a firing pin so it would not go forward. The problem could be fixed with a fresh application of WD 40 but who needs that kind of trouble. Probably better than nothing but I think there are better products out there for gun lubrication.

May want to keep it away from primers also it can get past them and ruin the powder and or primer.

[ June 03, 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

quote:

Originally posted by White 03:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

I wouldn't say it is complete nonsence. I use to use it on my guns also but had problems with WD 40 leaving a gummy residue. Sometimes held a firing pin so it would not go forward. The problem could be fixed with a fresh application of WD 40 but who needs that kind of trouble. Probably better than nothing but I think there are better products out there for gun lubrication.

May want to keep it away from primers also it can get past them and ruin the powder and or primer.

Well, I don't "spray" my guns with WD-40 (or anything for that matter). I clean them good with Hopps No 9 and then apply WD-40 with a cotton cloth that I've sprayed the WD-40 on.

No one should ever spray the firing pin area with anything unless you're prepared to disassemble the bolt (or breech block) and clean the pin and spring every so often.

I was in my dad's office one time when there was a salesman there hawking a new line of gun cleaning supplies. To illustrate how well his aresol penetrating oil worked, he took a loaded S&W snubnose, opened the cylinder and sprayed all five shells with just a quick shot. He then swung the cylinder shut and pulled the trigger five times. The gun didn't fire. My dad threw him out of the office and told him never to come back.
grin.gif

[/qb][/QUOTE]Well, I don't "spray" my guns with WD-40 (or anything for that matter). I clean them good with Hopps No 9 and then apply WD-40 with a cotton cloth that I've sprayed the WD-40 on.

No one should ever spray the firing pin area with anything unless you're prepared to disassemble the bolt (or breech block) and clean the pin and spring every so often.

I was in my dad's office one time when there was a salesman there hawking a new line of gun cleaning supplies. To illustrate how well his aresol penetrating oil worked, he took a loaded S&W snubnose, opened the cylinder and sprayed all five shells with just a quick shot. He then swung the cylinder shut and pulled the trigger five times. The gun didn't fire. My dad threw him out of the office and told him never to come back.
grin.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

lol.gif

I think my dad would have thrown him out also.
smile.gif
But I gotta say it probably was a good salesman's trick. Except for the odd hole in the customers floor.

About WD-40 gumming up guns, fishing reels, locks, etc: a local guy, very gun-savvy, handloader for over 40 years, uses little else on all his guns(& he has a *bunch* of 'em) for cleaning & lubrication(except for bore cleaners & grease where indicated), and has no problems with things getting gummy. According to him, the problem is with WD-40 from aerosol spray cans. He says, Yup, that'll get gummy after awhile. His solution? He buys WD-40 in a gallon can, & fills his old trusty steel spritz can with hand pump. The condition of his guns indicates he may be onto something.

Talk about a long lasting thread!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back