Maxlife ATF date codes

I performed three back to back drain and fills on the Aisin 8 speed in my Regal TourX. Only drains three quarts at a time, very frustrating; I'm going to have to find a more efficient method going forward but that's beside the point.

The first fluid swap I had some Idemitsu TLS-LV I used. I don't know why, but I have a weird habit of smelling transmission fluid before I put it in. Idemitsu smelled like a "light sweet" smell, nothing unusual. The second and third fluid change, I used Maxlife ATF. I had a couple jugs I bought a while back, and a friend gifted me a couple unopened jugs he no longer had a use for. Packaging is identical, all have Toyota WS on the label, so didn't think anything of it. First gallon jug I went through smelled very similar to the Idemitsu and other ATFs I've used.

I was filling from the 1 gallon Maxlife containers into a single qt. bottle for the transmission fills, so that I could get close to what was taken out, before I did the official fluid check procedure. When I got to the second jug of Maxlife (only needed about 3/4qt from it), pouring it into that single qt. bottle, an aroma of sulphur hit me like a freight train. Not gear oil strong, but it was unmistakable. I compared smell between the first Maxlife bottle and the second, and they are so wildly different that I thought I must have some used / counterfeit oil on my hands that my friend had given to me, I don't know where he got it.

I studied the packaging, seals, etc and nothing seems amiss, they were both virgin unopened bottles. I noticed the date code is different, so the only thing I can conclude is these are two completely different formulations. FWIW the one with the label starting in E1420 has the "dark" sulphur smell to it. Any insight on this?

Attachments

• IMG_4735.jpg
    IMG_4735.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 84
Valvoline recently changed the Maxlife formula. The new one is a universal ATF/CVT.

The non-CVT Maxlife smells like fish.

Also, one drain and fill every 30-60k is enough. You don't have to go crazy doing it :D

Also, one drain and fill every 30-60k is enough. You don't have to go crazy doing it :D
That's what I'll do going forward.

I wanted to get a good amount of the old fluid out for this first service, it was pretty brown in color-- given that it only drains 3 quarts at a time, that's still leaving 75% or more of the old fluid in there. I figure after doing it four times, I have less than 50% of the old fluid in there which gives me a nice starting point to do more infrequent changes from here on out.

Preface by saying, I have not purchased or used ML Full Syn ATF since they added CVT listing to the bottle. I have used it as go to for multiple Honda d&fs though. The addition of CVT to the bottle/jug will not keep me from continuing to use it with complete confidence for those ATF applications.

Otoh, 'I' would not use it for CVT applications, no matter what the bottle says. Valvoline makes a dedicated CVT fluid that comes in a blue jug/bottle. Like ML it's full synthetic and very reasonably priced. I have used it in a Nissan Jatco CVT, and will continue with that going forward. My .02

I mentioned the obnoxious smell of Maxlife ATF in a thread recently and TheCritic said Valvoline changed it (related to the change to CVT compatibility) and it no longer smells bad.

@92saturnsl2 any comments on the transmission operation after your service?
I haven't driven it yet enough to tell. I'm going to reset the transmission adaptive and I'll know enough to comment after my drive to work and back tomorrow.

Neither of the ML jugs I have mention CVT compatibility, for what that's worth. Packaging is identical but they are very obviously two different formulas. Anyone know what the date code is using the photos I'd attached?

Neither of the ML jugs I have mention CVT compatibility, for what that's worth.
Since the fluid is considered 100% fine for straight ATs, Valvoline had likely changed to that formulation already. They could still have been working on the marketing side of CVT compatibility (new labels, documentation, etc).

I don't think I ever used maxlife, I've always ended up buying Valvoline Dex VI when I needed transmission fluid, what does it smell like, the only ATF I remember that stunk was whatever my dad got to put in his 1995 Dodge Stratus, this was 10-12 years ago, I think they may have still had a Supertech specfiically for ATF+3, it smelled like pissy cat litter or rank arm pit.

I have some Wolf's Head (Amalie) universal synthetic (Dex VI clone that claims compatibility with everything, much like ML) I use in my Kia that has a stronger smell to it, also some Valvoline Mercon V I've used in the past had a strong sulfur smell/odor.

Other than that, most ATF I've come across smells sweet with no offensive odor.

I wonder if a VOA would pick up a difference between the two.

@92saturnsl2 any comments on the transmission operation after your service?
So it's been a few days of driving to work and back. I expected no change in shift quality (like all my other 20+ D&F on vehicles going back 15+ years, often using universal fluids), but I'm definitely seeing something here. The shifts definitely seem softer and "mushier."

The trans in this vehicle has always had a bit of a delay in shifts (torque management where the ECU cuts off throttle for a moment while it completes the shift), but it never really bothered me. Usual modern trans behavior I've experienced in many late model vehicles. The shifts were firm (not overly so) and other than that slight delay, engaged the next gear quick, an attribute that felt sporty to me. You could see it in the RPM needle, there was an immediate movement to a slightly lower RPM upon an upshift.

With this new fluid, it's hard to describe, but I definitely notice it. The shifts feel softer, more artificial-- the usual ECU/TCM torque management hesitation is there, but the RPMs don't settle as quickly on an upshift, it's like it spends a moment adjusting to the chosen gear; RPMs spend a split second "falling", instead of being more or less immediate. I don't like it but it's probably too early to conclude that it's the fluid.

I think I've eliminated clearing the transmission adaptives as a variable, as I did that right after I bought the car (with the old fluid), and saw no change in shift behavior after a couple drives. I'm going to keep driving it and if it doesn't improve, probably switch away from Maxlife for future D&F on this vehicle.

Original GM spec was AW-1 fluid, but most people in the know say to use Toyota WS. Some recent GM bulletins seem to suggest that AW-1 has been more or less discontinued and to use approved/licensed Dex VI in its place. Can anyone confirm this? This is the Aisin Warner 8 speed (AF50-8 in GM terms) that I understand is used in a lot of Toyota products.

I stand behind my observation that the old Maxlife was a poor substitute for AW-1 in my Aisin 8sp transmission. After D&F-ing the Maxlife out several times with Idemitsu TLS-LV, shift quality improved back to what I'd consider the factory feel.

My Kia is currently using Wolf's Head (Amalie) universal Synthetic, a Dex-IV clone. It's still one of the smoothest transmissions I've ever owned. I think it's fairly fluid agnositc, as long as it's a low-vis Dex-IV type fluid. I think the new or old Maxlife would perform just fine in it. If this new Valvoline product is priced right and readily available, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

For my Chrysler I'm still stuck with ATF+4. Other than some botique/super expensive fluids, very few seem to want to claim ATF+4 compatiblity. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I'll continue to use Mopar or a licensed ATF+4.

My Maxima slowly leaks trans fluid from what I think is the input shaft. Hence, I'm in no hurry to try something lower viscosity. So it gets the cheapest Dex III or Matic-J? compatible fluid I can find.

Evidently Valvoline saw something lacking in their old fluid prompting them to create this new one. Or perhaps it's just a fancy new bottle?

$37 and change/gal. hmmm Like to see a VOA on it, be interesting to compare it to MaxLife FSMV at ~$26/gal at WM (quick google price check). Looking at site PI sheets for both, typical properties virtually identical, viscosity propeties (excluding Brookfield), identical. Based on that, can't say I see it worth the price difference vs MLFSMV.

Since I posted here last, I have used the newer MLFSMV (CVT also on bottle). Noticed it didn't smell as strong (stink) as previous ML. Did a d&f on neighbor's 2004 Civic which specs Z-1. Though it hasn't been too long, seems to be working equally well to other Honda AT vehicles I've used it on in the past, and currently.

Back