Lube Gard Red 10 oz in a high mileage 4L60E

With 243,000 miles as a potential maintenance dose? Transmission shifts good but considering the mileage would it be a good thing to do or should I leave it alone? Capacity is 11 qts and I do siphon and fill about 3 qts a couple of times a year and the fluid is clean and a bright red and doesn’t smell burnt. I’ve been using the Supertech Dexron/HM conventional ( not synthetic ) fluid for years with no problems and the LG red seems to be well liked here but not being a big additive fan I’m a bit hesitant to use it. Thoughts appreciated.

The best thing for your 4L60E is to keep it maintained with transmission fluid and filter changes.

I do not recommend any additives on a healthy transmission. Now if you start showing signs problems like harsh shifts maybe the occasional slip then give an additive a shot.

With 243,000 miles as a potential maintenance dose? Transmission shifts good but considering the mileage would it be a good thing to do or should I leave it alone? Capacity is 11 qts and I do siphon and fill about 3 qts a couple of times a year and the fluid is clean and a bright red and doesn’t smell burnt. I’ve been using the Supertech Dexron/HM conventional ( not synthetic ) fluid for years with no problems and the LG red seems to be well liked here but not being a big additive fan I’m a bit hesitant to use it. Thoughts appreciated.
If your transmission is working good, keep doing what you have been doing. I would not use any additive on a high mileage WORKING transmission.

No issues. I run it in high mileage ATs and have been pleased with it. At minimum it seems to do no harm. It is one of the few adds that seems to be a truly accepted option.

You may want to pull your fluid, add the right amount to get the full sump dosing correct, then just add as needed in the future. Less is more probably. But adding some to get the full dosing right is a good idea.

Last edited:
I use LG Platinum in my 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R (5EAT/JATCO) with 172k mikes. Mixture of Valvoline Syn Import ATF (ATF-HP rated) and Idemitsu ATF-HP, all Idemitsu except for the last fluid change.

Not a huge difference, aside from better WOT upshifts and better/smoother behavior when cold. Just a single 10oz bottle achieved the correct treat rate for my transmission.

Research Sea Foam Trans treatment too.
I added it to mine before I do my ATF change. Actually, shifted better with just the sea foam!

Research Sea Foam Trans treatment too.
I added it to mine before I do my ATF change. Actually, shifted better with just the sea foam!
Do you mean you used Sea Foam 100% and no transmission fluid? It must have caused a fortune to do that?

This product is a short term flush before a complete (not a drain and fill) fluid exchange.

Do you mean you used Sea Foam 100% and no transmission fluid? It must have caused a fortune to do that?

This product is a short term flush before a complete (not a drain and fill) fluid exchange.

I don't know what the difference is, but I did use Seafoam Hydratrans on my Wifes old Saab 95 with a AW55-50 which had an occasional random flare and it absolutely made a difference. From memory the Seafoam Hydratrans was thicker and red compared to normal Seafoam. I can't remember what treat rate I used. I used it as a short term flush before replacing with Lubegaurd Red.

The best thing for your 4L60E is to keep it maintained with transmission fluid and filter changes.

I do not recommend any additives on a healthy transmission. Now if you start showing signs problems like harsh shifts maybe the occasional slip then give an additive a shot.
THIS ☝️☝️

The best thing to do on 4l60e’s. These 4l60e’s just need fluid and filter changed every 30,000 miles and they run for a long time. Just don’t use Overdrive when towing anything.

I have ran Lubegard Ref in all my vehicles, my GMs get Maxlife and shift great. Maxlife has helped the firm 1st-2nd cold shifts and the Lubegard got rid of the rest. I would add it if you are due for a drain and fill

I have ran Lubegard Ref in all my vehicles, my GMs get Maxlife and shift great. Maxlife has helped the firm 1st-2nd cold shifts and the Lubegard got rid of the rest. I would add it if you are due for a drain and fill
And it's not "snakes oil" either!
Lot's of transmission men run it in customer's cars, I read on this group.

Reactions: wlk
Back