Water Pump Paper Gasket With RTV? Longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The red fiber gasket on my truck must've gotten pinched when changing the water pump, because coolant poured out as fast as I was pouring it in after assembly. The pump assembly was heavy and I should have used something to tack it in place instead of making my hands do the work of three. Holding the gasket in place, position the pump, and start the bolts.

On my car the brown college rule notebook thin paper type gasket seemed like a joke....shouldve went $10 more for the felpro but used the included one and ended up adding a pint of coolant at about every 10,000 like clockwork.

Last edited:
I like to take the new part and spread a lite coat of Permatex # 2 on the mating surface . Then apply the gasket to the part . Let it " dry " long enough to all the sealant to securely hold the gasket in place .

I normally do not apply sealant on the opposite side ( engine side ) of the gasket . If I ever have to replace the part , I do not have sealant to remove from the block .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I normally do not apply sealant on the opposite side ( engine side ) of the gasket . If I ever have to replace the part , I do not have sealant to remove from the block .

What exactly does gasket sealant do? Does it help seal the gasket better by gluing the gasket to the part? Does it make the gasket harder to remove? Paper gasket is already a pain to remove after it's hardened and baked on over time.

Untreated paper gaskets tend go be porous over time and weep with coolant. High Tack, Indian head, etc is very good at sealing the surface and preventing this by permeating the gasket.
RTV is not, it forms a separate seal of its own creating more points of potential leakage when used with a gasket, use it alone or don't use it at all.

But yet, the classical sign of a DIYer is to glop Permatex Ultra Copper RTV all over gasket.

I've just been using High-Tack for paper gaskets and usually on the side of the removable part. Less cleanup later on.

Originally Posted By: nthach
But yet, the classical sign of a DIYer is to glop Permatex Ultra Copper RTV all over gasket.

If you look on Youtube, alot of the "professional" mechanics do this also despite gasket manufacturers advising against this. I'm curious if there is evidence for or against this practice with regards to what's actually the best way to install a gasket.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I've just been using High-Tack for paper gaskets and usually on the side of the removable part. Less cleanup later on.

^ True.

The Mopar gasket for my Jeep has a small bead of sealant around the paper gasket for the machined face on the pump, but I used water pump/ thermostat Permatex for the block side because of some pitting.. I wasn't interested dealing with a potential leak in the near future.

Last edited:
Permatex # 2 is great stuff. I used it on the aluminum parts in the BMWs like hose nipples for a dual purpose. Mostly to seal pits, also as a lube, I also use Permatex # 2 to coat any bolt going through a hole in an AL castings. I prefer it to never seize for this.
grin2.gif

Great tips !

I think I learned about Permatex #2 while I was in high school 69-70 senior year .

I was in a vocational program & went to school 1/2 day , worked at the local Dodge dealership , shop , as a flunky & go-fer .

Thanks , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back