Water Pump Paper Gasket With RTV? Longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most water pump gaskets seem to be made of paper, only in some rare applications do I notice that they use a metal gasket with rubber O-ring of which I would assume seals better than paper. I noticed the official manufacturer recommendation (eg. from Fel Pro) is to install the paper water pump gasket bare on a clean surface, but many Youtubers and old school mechanics insist on putting a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket.

I am interested to hear what your experiences with paper water pump gaskets are and if there's any validity to using RTV? Paper gaskets usually bake onto the surface and are hard to clean off afterwards, so I would assume the RTV would just make a bigger mess next time you take it off. In general, how well does using paper as a gasket even work long term? It just doesn't strike me as a very durable or malleable material to conform to surface imperfections.

If your going to use goop on both sides of the paper gasket might as well omit the gasket and just use goop like Nissan does at the factory.

Paper works fine. Lasts decades.

Last edited:
Only use RTV when/where the service manual calls for it!! RTV on paper gaskets cause more problems than it fixes!

On some applications.....The aftermarket cheap's out & sends a paper gasket in place of a coated metal shim gasket. Use OE parts & gaskets unless there is a pattern failure with the OE parts.

I only use gasket maker like RTV if I can't get a pre-formed gasket to work, which is rare but it does happen. For some reason, I had leaks on the valve covers on my two riding mowers (B&S and Kohler engines) that pre=formed gaskets just would not solve after many attempts. I finally solved them both with high-temp RTV. I've never had that problem on cars though.

Permatex has 16 different gasket/sealer compounds. The other makers also have multiple products. “RTV” has become almost a generic term. Check out their product lines.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Paper gasket and light coat of moly grease. Will part easily if need be and never leak. Never-Seize on all water pump bolt. Only stainless bolts going into aluminum blocks or heads. But I plan to drive that engine well beyond 200,000 miles, so my thinking might be a bit distorted ...

I never use RTV with a gasket. I also have no problems with a paper gasket which I put a thin layer of Permatex 2 on both sides. If it's an o-ring, I put a thin coating of Dow Coring high vacuum silicon grease on it.

Last edited:
When I was young, I learned the hard way. Anytime that I used a gasket sealer(RTV)with a gasket, I had leaks/problems. It has been my experience & understanding that, you can't get/buy a better gasket than the one you can make with RTV or other sealers.

Anyone else feel/know this also?

Permatex Aviation Forma Gasket #2. Spread it on the pump face, let it skin over then stick gasket on. This way the gasket will come away with the pump when/if pump is removed

I have made gaskets from gasket material , with the round side of a ball peen hammer . Used Permatex # 2 ( or which ever is non hardening ) on the non block side of the gasket ..

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Why not try Hylomar?

That's what I use. Gaskets are sometimes used for clearance not only sealing. I did a Citroen years ago and didn't have a gasket so I used RTV, the impeller contacted the housing slightly when running.

If its paper or cork I use a very thin amount of Ultra RTV, usually black.

Its more for filling in imperfections as cars age and/or get small scratchs from cleaning the previous gasket. BUT do not use to much. If so you can make it worse. Only time I have seen this method fail is when some goober put a whole tube on a single water pump gasket and it was squeezing out everywhere.

Ask Fel-Pro.

It just seems to me that paper gaskets are cheap and worthless. I mean, what is more permeable than paper? Now, plastic can hold a water seal forever. Maybe the paper is special, but it is so thin that there is no cushion to crunch down, compress and seal. I like the formed rubber gaskets. They just seem ideal to me.

I have , in a pinch , used cardboard from the back of a note pad & clear silicone caulking . Or axle grease .

For a thermostat housing .

For paper gaskets, my go-to is Permatex High-Tack. I've used it on a metal/rubber gasket on a Subaru since there are no dowels or studs to locate the water pump.

Also to consider with some “RTV” gasket materials, the mated parts are to be torqued right after application and with some, the parts are to be partially torqued until cured and then fully torqued. Also, some directions ask for time for the RTV to “skin” before putting together. The directions can be important.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back