Use RTV or no?

New water pump in the truck. The pump came with paper gaskets. Should I dress them up with water pump Permatex or just use the paper as is? *The areas are a pain to get to as well. Pain to clean, pain to see etc. Im thinking about getting some studs to use as locating dowels and to hold it while I bolt it on.

Attached is a photo of the mating surface as well as my helper the day I discovered the leak. I’ll blame him.

Attachments

• 22EB7857-9E54-44A8-AFC5-A49C90E33BD3.jpeg
    22EB7857-9E54-44A8-AFC5-A49C90E33BD3.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1C1E8461-AFE9-40B8-8E16-ECBB3DFB4B98.jpeg
    1C1E8461-AFE9-40B8-8E16-ECBB3DFB4B98.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 85
I like the idea of using studs they make life much easier and as you say holds things in place, see if any are available in stainless and use nickel anti seize on them. Dress the gasket with Hylomar, back in the day I used Indian Head on paper but things change and better products are out there now, it worked fine but was a real PITA to remove.

The OEM installs gaskets dry, and this is also the recommendation from every single gasket maker. The only time RTV might be considered is if the surface is pitted, of which then you only need a very very small enough...just enough to fill the cracks.

The OEM installs gaskets dry, and this is also the recommendation from every single gasket maker. The only time RTV might be considered is if the surface is pitted, of which then you only need a very very small enough...just enough to fill the cracks.
This is true. Keep in mind the surfaces they're installing them on a pristine, oil and dirt free and everything is in as near to perfect condition as you can have. Once you're doing repair work on an engine that has been in use, things change a bit. I like to use this High Tack after I thoroughly clean both surfaces. I have it in spray as well. Those products haven't failed me yet.

Back