Ward's 10 Best Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
I feel like Wards doesn't know what a good engine is anymore.

a "best" engine has to be extremely reliable, the BMW N55 is NOT (as well as other engines being listed, but the N55 is a huge offender)

Is that a BMW 535 and 335 motor. I gave a neighbor a ride home when I saw her on the side of the road with vehicle dead. She just left the car with keys in it for tow truck. This was 2nd breakdown for her in recent one in warranty. She is a fuming mad former Honda Accord owner.

The N55 is used in the newest iteration of the -35 BMW's. I think it's the single turbo version. I haven't heard much bad about the engines (or the previous N54), just the fuel pumps. I know a few owners who are on their 2nd and 3rd pumps.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Is that a BMW 535 and 335 motor. I gave a neighbor a ride home when I saw her on the side of the road with vehicle dead. She just left the car with keys in it for tow truck. This was 2nd breakdown for her in recent one in warranty. She is a fuming mad former Honda Accord owner.
Originally Posted By: cchase
The N55 is used in the newest iteration of the -35 BMW's. I think it's the single turbo version. I haven't heard much bad about the engines (or the previous N54), just the fuel pumps. I know a few owners who are on their 2nd and 3rd pumps.

Originally Posted By: cchase

It is interesting to note that the change from 2 to 1 turbo was also accompanied by an apparent loss in power. This despite exactly the same rated hp and torque.

These engines were either detuned or torque limited by software for reasons only BMW knows.

1. Honda and BMW seem to have about tied the Ward's "Best engines."

2. One of the ones I can agree with the most is the Nissan VQ engine (3.5L pretty sure..) They named it in the Maxima a lot. The Maxima is a pretty good car. 1996, 2000, many other years...

3. I wonder if reliability factors in to what Ward calls a "best engine." Maybe they have different criterion, like performance.

21.gif

Also, fuel pumps arent part of an engine.

Cummins inline 6 and the Older Mercedes diesels should be on the list of best of all time IMO.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Also the Honda K series, the Swiss Army knife of Honda's power plants.

The K20 is on the list a few times.

Just curious, what cars is this engine?

Honda/Acura

Crosstour
CR-V
Element
Civic Si
Acura TSX
Accord
RDX
RSX

Status