Hyundai on "Ward's 10 best engines" list

Status
Not open for further replies.
(apologies if already posted)

Pretty impressive for a make that was joked about so much a decade or so ago... and we're proud owners of a 2003 Elantra, (albeit not with the engine on the list - hehe)

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/07/wards-auto-declares-ten-best-engines-of-2009/

"....Ward's Auto published their list of Best Engines of 2009 and Hyundai was recognized for the first time ever, for the brand-new Tau 4.6L V8 that powers the Genesis sedan. The only other V8 on the list is Chrysler's 5.7L HEMI, so I guess that makes the Tau one of the two best V8 engines in the world.

"Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. appears for the first time on Ward's 10 Best Engines list with its all-new Tau 4.6L DOHC V-8. Introduced in the new Genesis luxury sedan, the engine's velvety power delivery, competitive performance and attainable price epitomize the Korean auto maker's drive for world-class engineering."

# Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
# BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe) - and 335i coupe
wink.gif

# BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
# Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)
# Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)
# General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
# Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
# Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)
# Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)
# Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

I predict: Ford v6 ecoboost and Hyundai's 3.8L v6 (genesis COUPE) will also make the list in the next 1-2 yrs...

Last edited:
There overall build quality is lacking which is why they offer the ten year warranty. They have to do this to get people to buy them. I had to wait at a Hyundai dealers service department for an hour. In that time I seen two tow truck bring in brand new hyundai's for warranty service. I have never seen this happen at any other dealer service before, most people are still able to drive in. Also, 4 other brand new hyundai's showed up in that hour for warranty service that were able to drive in.

The above is why I think they are the butt of many jokes. To balance that out, I was given a Hyundai as a rental before, it was a very capable car with plenty of power and drove smooth. I just hated getting in and out of it because it was so ugly looking and didn't want anyone to know I was driving such a car.

FYI

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - have you been in a new Sonata or a Genesis? build quality is lacking ???

anyway, I guess i am in a good position to comment as we OWN a 2003 Elantra that has not had a single repair for its 128k miles. (just regular maintenance @ dealer - and we never waited very long, either)

and believe me, only fools joke about them now. (not meaning you; I know you didn't joke about them and that you thought your rental Hyundai was capable - i am meaning others here)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MC5W20
I had to wait at a Hyundai dealers service department for an hour. In that time I seen two tow truck bring in brand new hyundai's for warranty service. I have never seen this happen at any other dealer service before, most people are still able to drive in.

Last night, I was getting an alignment and four tow trucks showed up in three hours, carrying cars from around the world from many different makes. In that time, two domestics and three Japanese cars, all relatively new, drove in for service.

Does that mean all cars suck?

I just hated getting in and out of it because it was so ugly looking and didn't want anyone to know I was driving such a car.

FYI

LOL

Hmmmmm...Our 3 year old, entry level Accent has never once had a build quality issue? Nor any other issues to speak of.
Must be a "Buy American" troll.
And should you want to go there, we can discuss all about the quality of american cars.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I just hated getting in and out of it because it was so ugly looking and didn't want anyone to know I was driving such a car.

FYI

LOL

I LoL'd too. i also think for the most part they're stupid looking, but styling is as always totally subjective. I do like the new Elantra somewhat, in upscale trim. The base model still looks fairly plain and bad. Sonata is not bad either. Still would not own one, I like cars that don't discintigrate in 5 years in Canadian salted road winters.

weird - i wonder why our 2003 Elantra is still rock solid and dependable - didn't see it disintegrate yet...nor have I seen the 3 Sonatas that my friends/fam own fall apart...(and one of them does live in Canada)

How full of generic comments can you guys be?

about the looks: I really don't like the new "bubble" Elantra, and prefer the previous generation look, which is a lot better/normal looking, IMO.
I also like the newer grill of the Sonata less, but it still looks pretty good overall, and is probably the best looking 4-dr Hyundai.

but in general, I think Hyundai is going to make al their models uglier - joining the rest of the crowd. that's sad; idk why all car makers have to feel that to make cars look better, they have to be outlandish looking...skinny and tall..and bubbly.
what happened to the low and wide stance?

Last edited:
There overall build quality is lacking which is why they offer the ten year warranty. They have to do this to get people to buy them. I had to wait at a Hyundai dealers service department for an hour. In that time I seen two tow
truck bring in brand new hyundai's for warranty service. I have never seen this happen at any other dealer service before, most people are still able to drive in. Also, 4 other brand new hyundai's showed up in that hour for warranty service that were able to drive in.

The above is why I think they are the butt of many jokes. To balance that out, I was given a Hyundai as a rental before, it was a very capable car with plenty of power and drove smooth. I just hated getting in and out of it because it was so ugly looking and didn't want anyone to know I was driving such a car.

FYI

smirk2.gif
to your comments I have a high miler in the driveway that has had 0 problems and 0 trips to the dealer. We also own 2 more Korean products from this family with the same results.

Also please don't use the word "Gay" to describe something it really bothers me. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

I predict: Ford v6 ecoboost and Hyundai's 3.8L v6 (genesis COUPE) will also make the list in the next 1-2 yrs...

This list was published in December, so in a little over a month we'll have the 2010 ranking... we'll see.

Quote:
# Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)

This engine has been in their rankings for 4 years straight now. With all the talk about valve deposits related to direct injection and to these engines in particular, I'm kind of surprised. Do they only look at the novelty/design of it, but not at the on-going reliability? Hmm...

lol.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: donz26
Hmmm, the Nissan VQ35 has fallen off the the list. It had been there forever.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I'm honestly not surprised because the current incarnations don't have too much in common with them any more, and the rest of the industry really did catch up.

It had a good run, though. I normally dislike V6s but hats off to Nissan's engineers for making a darn good one, and here's hoping they are remembered for it.

To heck with Hyundai, I would never buy one after getting sucked in to bail out my neighbor on his brake job on his daughters 05 Elantra, what a piece of junk.

He needed to replace the rotors and some idiot designer decided to bolt the rotors to the hub with 2 screw with philips heads.
After only 3 years the bolts were frozen, and he stripped them out. SO a 15 minute per side front brake job on any normal car turned into a 4 hr PITA job. Had to drill them out and then extract the bolts from the hubs once we pulled the rotors off.
Needless to say when the new rotors were installed, we omitted these two bolts. No need to go thru this [censored] in a few years when the eats these rotors.

Per the rest of the car, all I can say it is the most plastic underwhelming interior I have scene and the 2.0 engine is no ball of fire. Guess I fail to see all the hype. My neighbor said it will be the first and last Hyundai he will buy.

You could have put some lubricant on those screws so they won't seize in the next time. I have these on my SUV and they came off like butter after 3 years of mainly winter driving. Must have been just his.

They are also good to have because you can take those screws out and use longer threaded bolts with an impact gun and drive them in through the tapped holes and it will push off hard to get off discs and/or drums that are now stuck on most of the time because of a rusty ridge on the edge of the drum/disc.

By not putting the screws there you might not be able to do this in future because the threads might corrode heavily leaving them unusable in the future.

Also if the are hard to get off you can put a philips screw driver to them and bang on the end of the driver with a hammer to loosen them up, or apply some heat to the screw head/around the screw. This works great.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
A lot of cars have screws on their hubs. I don't see the big deal. I've never really had a problem. WD40 helps every single time.

Exactly. They're there for vehicle assembly purposes. One whack with an impact screwdriver will loosen them or shear the heads off, at which point you can just leave them alone and install your new rotors w/ out. There's no advantage to having them after your first brake job.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back