Wards Top Engines of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The Pentastar 3.6 was the reason I chose to buy my used 2010 Challenger 3.5 over a leftover new 2011.
My used one only had 6,000 miles. The 3.5 was a proven good design. It (3.5) did, however, have some earlier problems with rocker arm assemblies, but that was corrected. First year designs will sometimes have issues. Given the Pentastar a couple years, I would have bought one instead.

I hear you, I decided to wait. I'm not a fan of the first year for a new engine either. Hopefully this fall I'll be ordering a 2015 Pentastar Wrangler if they're not DI. If its DI I'll look for a 2014 leftover.

Telsa car is not eligible, because it costs more than $60,000. The list is focused on cars ordinary people could afford. "For years, we have resisted significant increases in the price cap because we believe a $50,000 vehicle automatically should come with a great engine," says WardsAuto World Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter. "We’re increasing the cap this year to keep up with rising sticker prices." In 1993, the average price of a new car was $16,871. Today, it is $30,748.

The 3-cylinder engine is found inside the Ford Fiesta at 16,000 dollars ($2000 more than the base model). EPA is 45 highway, while Wards reviewers average 37 mixed usage.

Honda's 3.0 and 3.5 V6 engines have won eight times since 2003. For some reason the editors love the engine, its natural aspiration, and its variable cylinder management.

ARTICLE LINKS:

http://wardsauto.com/ward039s-10-best-engines/diesels-turbos-dominate-2014-ward-s-10-best-engines

TEST DRIVES:
http://wardsauto.com/2014-wards-10-best-engines

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What makes the Fiat motor so special??

Dayton?(sarcasm off)
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wards listed the Pentastar engine a top pick a few years back when it was first introduced. Shortly after they had problems with defective cylinder heads on the left side of the engine. I think they pick their choices by design, specs, and what looks good on paper, not real world testing or actual use. JMO
27.gif

Or whoever so got the biggest wallet.

I'm interested the the dodge 3.0 diesel. Might be worth me taking a harder look anyways.
I'm sold on the mds equipped hemi engines. I still cannot find anything to complain about with this engine.
It would be hard for me to break away from them now.
Mustangs will always be a fun toy for me but I'm seriously considering another dodge/hemi. Mds equipped.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Wards listed the Pentastar engine a top pick a few years back when it was first introduced. Shortly after they had problems with defective cylinder heads on the left side of the engine. I think they pick their choices by design, specs, and what looks good on paper, not real world testing or actual use. JMO
27.gif

I said that in another post, we think alike. I think that's the main reason to make the list to be honest. LOL

Ward's is a joke. They had the NVH champ Nissan V6 on their list for a decade. Honda VCM ? That's rich since they're in the middle of a class action settlement for all the failures. The only thing I'd take a flyer on in this list is the C7. At least thatone will have a significant fun factor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
27.gif

I said that in another post, we think alike. I think that's the main reason to make the list to be honest. LOL

Fun list, but Wards is too industry dependent to ever dare and speak the real truth.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Ward's is a joke. They had the NVH champ Nissan V6 on their list for a decade. Honda VCM ? That's rich since they're in the middle of a class action settlement for all the failures. The only thing I'd take a flyer on in this list is the C7. At least thatone will have a significant fun factor.

Yea they "picked" some real Gems over the years.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Originally Posted By: Pablo
What makes the Fiat motor so special??

Gotta link?

Good question. The same thing coult be asked about the gm v8 in the corvette.

I believe that this is a first For GM:
A pushrod V8 with DFI and varible camshaft phasing. (GM 2014 LT1 V8)

Good day.

Rickey.

This list can't possibly take engine reliability, durability, longevity, known problems/defects, or low maintenance cost into consideration. If they did, many/most of these engines would not be on the list, particularly the engines with turbochargers.

I don't agree with Ward's picks. Never have. First off, what makes "Ward's" the engine experts? Real life experiences prove whether an engine is worthwhile or not. The Chinese build some reasonably high tech motorcycle engines. However, they fail at alarming rates. The employment of "modern design" is no guarantee of a good engine.

I'd like to see BSFC compared amongst the "efficient" engines. Who's best over a wider operating envelope? I'd like to see power to weight compared for performance engines. I don't care much for HP/Displacement metrics. (even though I love the S2000)

Originally Posted By: Cujet
... The Chinese build some reasonably high tech motorcycle engines. However, they fail at alarming rates. The employment of "modern design" is no guarantee of a good engine.

High tech Chinese motorcycle engines?

Most are an enlarged knockoff of the OHV Honda CG125 or the GY6 which I am led to believe was designed by Honda specifically to be manufactured in developing countries.

They also make a knockoff of the Virago 250 and 535...not exactly high tech.

Cheng Jiang makes a copy of the Russian Ural which is a copy of the BMW R71...from the 1930s. Pictures on the website show that it is pre-rusted for that genuine antique feel.

The Taiwanese make BMW scooter engines and other high tech engines. But I can't think of anything from PRoC. I'm sure there is, but the majority are pretty low tech.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
27.gif

As of mid 2012, all new and replacement heads have phosphor bronze valve guides installed. We haven't seen any of those come back with problems, but time will tell.

What were the original valve guides made out of, and why was it only a problem with the left side cylinder head? Just curious, as I'm a Jeep fan and would love a new wrangler with the new Pentastar, but that valve noise issue would have kept me from buying one.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
27.gif

As of mid 2012, all new and replacement heads have phosphor bronze valve guides installed. We haven't seen any of those come back with problems, but time will tell.

What were the original valve guides made out of, and why was it only a problem with the left side cylinder head? Just curious, as I'm a Jeep fan and would love a new wrangler with the new Pentastar, but that valve noise issue would have kept me from buying one.

I don't know what the valve guides were made of, or why exactly it was only effecting the left head. Chrysler kept tight lipped and blamed things like how they were driven, the gas, planet alignment, the tide, and a slew of other b_s stories, but never mentioned an engineering error or design flaw. What I know is they had two revisions to the left cylinder head which involved "beefing up the guides" and improving coolant flow through the head. A lot of 2012 Wranglers had the problem, and a handful of the early 2013's. Other vehicles had the problem as well but I was closely following the Wrangler, and held off buying one. I think the problem is now history. My fingers are crossed they don't incorporate DI in the 2015's or I'll be looking for a 2014 or another vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back