Hyundai on "Ward's 10 best engines" list

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, Wards declared the Vega aluminum engine "best engine" of the year. Does anyone have the old Wards awards lists?

Originally Posted By: XS650
IIRC, Wards declared the Vega aluminum engine "best engine" of the year. Does anyone have the old Wards awards lists?

Was it the regular version or the Cosworth 16v edition?
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: XS650

Was it the regular version or the Cosworth 16v edition?
20.gif

Regular, about 1st year IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

I predict: Ford v6 ecoboost and Hyundai's 3.8L v6 (genesis COUPE) will also make the list in the next 1-2 yrs...

This list was published in December, so in a little over a month we'll have the 2010 ranking... we'll see.

Quote:
# Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)

This engine has been in their rankings for 4 years straight now. With all the talk about valve deposits related to direct injection and to these engines in particular, I'm kind of surprised. Do they only look at the novelty/design of it, but not at the on-going reliability? Hmm...

I'm fairly certain your assumption is correct on that, as in almost all cases, an engine will only be on the market for a very short time before it is listed as a "winner", as it were. Seems the award could only possibly be in regards to "innovation" or "engineering intelligence", which in reality, is pretty subjective, and subject to the opinion of the reviewer. That is not to say that any of the engines listed don't deserve to be listed as one of the 10 Best, but just that it's the opinion of the staff involved in giving the award, and may not reflect superiority to a competitive product already available from another manufacturer. Seems noteworthy and interesting when an automaker makes the list, but pretty nonspecific and overall, not a testament to longevity or real-world performance, as those facts have not been determined yet, at the time of the awards. Not to say they won't prove reliable later, but there's no way to know that yet.

Not just his, everyone I have talked to with setups like that have had issues with the screws. There is absolutely no need to bolt a rotor to the hub, just unneeded unsprung wieght and most OEMs use a star washer to hold the rotor to the hub during assembly.

Note my neighbor had already trashed the bolts. he hammered on them trying to loosen them and the stripped them out, hence myself getting roped in.
I heated them but could not extact them until we drilled them off an pulled the rotors. I then heated them and got them out.
As I said a [censored] poor design. needless to say they didnt get replaced :)

I have lost count over the years on brake jobs I have done and per the rotor froze to the hub, I put a film of antisieze on the back of the rotors and or paint my rotors and hub surface so it doesnt freeze to hub.

Engine #1- Until it sludges or the intake clogs with carbon
Engine #2- As long as it isn't overheating
Engine #3- Wait for all the fancy technology to fail
Engine #4- Push rods anyone? at least Decuir Trulink it!!!
Engine #5- Why? make some envirohippie, reading this list, happy
Engine #6- Laughing a little too much here
Engine #7- Token Honda
Engine #8- Bad reputation is a bad rap, big block version soon?
Engine #9- As long as you have good cams and a solid oil line
Engine #10-Another techno future problem child

I want an engine that starts every time. It needs to sound good. It shouldn't sludge up the oil or coke up the intake. I don't want it overloaded with unreliable techno wizardry that isn't afford-ably serviced. The issues that develop over time need to be addressed by the automaker instantly. It shouldn't consume gallons of oil throughout it life, or eat engine gaskets. It should have reasonable fuel economy. I expect that it doesn't overheat when stressed(whether on the track, when towing, or in NYC summer traffic). It shouldn't require any unobtanium parts like special fuels, oils, antifreeze, or filters. And, I should be able to maintain it without spending half the day trying to remove engine covers or belly pans.

Its a sad day when we except 'faults' in a engine and call it the 'best'.

yep - sorry for posting the link; apparently it's all [censored] according to geniuses here.
Mods feel free to delete the thread, as it's 100% bogus. :)

PS: nice sig, un dummy. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
yep - sorry for posting the link; apparently it's all [censored] according to geniuses here.
Mods feel free to delete the thread, as it's 100% bogus. :)

PS: nice sig, un dummy. :)
crackmeup2.gif
97, you got fire my man. The sarcasm reminds me somewhat of ol' mori (rip).

As for the Ford engine you predict will make it, after reading about the deposits on intake and valves on DI engines, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. Diect Injection thread

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Not just his, everyone I have talked to with setups like that have had issues with the screws. There is absolutely no need to bolt a rotor to the hub, just unneeded unsprung wieght and most OEMs use a star washer to hold the rotor to the hub during assembly.

I have lost count over the years on brake jobs I have done and per the rotor froze to the hub, I put a film of antisieze on the back of the rotors and or paint my rotors and hub surface so it doesnt freeze to hub.

Unspring weight??!! Yes those screws are really heavy.
48.gif

+1 for the antiseize on the back of the rotors. I do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Engine #1- Until it sludges or the intake clogs with carbon
Engine #2- As long as it isn't overheating
Engine #3- Wait for all the fancy technology to fail
Engine #4- Push rods anyone? at least Decuir Trulink it!!!
Engine #5- Why? make some envirohippie, reading this list, happy
Engine #6- Laughing a little too much here
Engine #7- Token Honda
Engine #8- Bad reputation is a bad rap, big block version soon?
Engine #9- As long as you have good cams and a solid oil line
Engine #10-Another techno future problem child

I want an engine that starts every time. It needs to sound good. It shouldn't sludge up the oil or coke up the intake. I don't want it overloaded with unreliable techno wizardry that isn't afford-ably serviced. The issues that develop over time need to be addressed by the automaker instantly. It shouldn't consume gallons of oil throughout it life, or eat engine gaskets. It should have reasonable fuel economy. I expect that it doesn't overheat when stressed(whether on the track, when towing, or in NYC summer traffic). It shouldn't require any unobtanium parts like special fuels, oils, antifreeze, or filters. And, I should be able to maintain it without spending half the day trying to remove engine covers or belly pans.

Its a sad day when we except 'faults' in a engine and call it the 'best'.

So...are there any engines you actually like?

Engine #4...pushrod..doesn't the Corvette have a pushrod engine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back