Wal-Mart pricing is CRAZY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swung through the local China-Mart tonight to grab some oil for a last minute oil change.

The prices were as follows:

Castrol GTX - $15.97 "Mark Down" from $18.97

Valvoline (Dino) - $19.00

Pennzoil (Dino) - $15.57

Motorcraft - $17.97

Quaker State - $12.54

Supertech - $11.94

I did not bother to jot down the synthetic prices as I was in a big hurry. Needless to say I am going to have a HUGE stash of green 5 quart jugs hiding in my garage. Quaker State is my new favorite oil for one reason and one reason only... I am CHEAP! I used to be a die-hard Motorcraft fan simply because of the value but man, they are being priced out of the competition.

It's ridiculous. I also ready somewhere that prices will be going up another 6% within the next month. Seems like it was Sopus, Valvoline, and Castrol. Don't remember seeing Mobil in the mix

QS conventional is a great oil and it has a great add pack. QS is the only oil I will use. One other thing I really like about QS is I can almost always find it on sale at one store or another. I think a lot of other name brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil etc are all more expensive due to the hype that comes from their involvement in racing, and all the advertising and marketing that goes along with it.

I can only imagine the price of the synthetic oils at WM.

Kmart had the 5 quart Jugs of PYB for $25 and change along with the Valvoline WB 5 quart Jugs.....all in SN, GF-5.

The synthetic oils like Castrol were up to $39 for a 5 quart Jug.

WalMart is still lower than Kmart.....if you're looking for SN, GF-5.

If you guys have meijer in your area make sure you check there too.
my walmart has the best prices on everything except oil, only place to beat walmart on oil price is the meijer right across the street.

Mobil 1 TDT is $26 a gallon at walmart
At Meijer its $21 a gallon

prices seem to be 2-5 bucks cheaper on all oils

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161

5qts of Pennzoil Platinum is $18.75 at my WM. Picked up two jugs yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Originally Posted By: mongo161

I'd pick up 5 more gallons!

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
It's ridiculous. I also ready somewhere that prices will be going up another 6% within the next month. Seems like it was Sopus, Valvoline, and Castrol. Don't remember seeing Mobil in the mix

Sounds like it's time to cash in on a couple of the QS $2.79/quart deals with a $7.00 rebate on a 5 quart purchase at AAP...Even without a rebate I may also buy up another case of QS for my stash. No telling what prices will be like in the not too distant future.

I just did the math, if I bought 10 quarts of QS and got the $14.00 rebate, and bought a case of 12 quarts at the sale price of $2.79/qt, the final price for 22 qts would be $2.15 each. Not a bad deal at all. I could buy 10 qts of 5W20 for my gf's Honda and a case of 10W30 for my truck, then use one of the AAP online purchase discount codes on some Purolator filters and be set for a long time on oil changes for both vehicles. I could get 5 filters for a total price of $21.95, use the P20 online discount code to bring the price for the filters to $17.56, minus the $1.50 rebate on 4 filters and the final price for the 5 filters would be $2.31 each. That is a pretty good deal. I may just do that before the sale ends.

What unusual about WM pricing on oil is Valvoline Synpower priced higher Mobil 1, $29 vs $25 for 5-qt jug. Who would pay more for Synpower ?

Man, it's $24.97 here...if I could still get it for $20 or less, I'd buy all they had...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What unusual about WM pricing on oil is Valvoline Synpower priced higher Mobil 1, $29 vs $25 for 5-qt jug. Who would pay more for Synpower ?

If you read the UOA section on this board and understand the test results, you'd gladly spend the extra four dollars.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

If you read the UOA section on this board and understand the test results, you'd gladly spend the extra four dollars.
grin2.gif

I would heartily disagree. I used Valvoline and did not like the results. Immediately lost mpg enough to notice on my Odyssey. Went to Mobil 1 and get the mpg right back and then some, taking the average over several months and several thousand miles. This was Synpower 0w20 vs Mobil1 0w20 AFE. I do live in a colder climate so having the vastly superior MRV of Mobil1 is a big deal to me.

Anyway, back on topic, I might have to go grab a couple gallons this week!

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Man, it's $24.97 here...if I could still get it for $20 or less, I'd buy all they had...

I did buy all the 5w-30 they had (2 jugs) at the time. Heading back over today.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

grin2.gif

Only Walmart prices Synpower higher than Mobil 1, Autozone and O'Reilly have same price for M1, Synpower and PP.

One time I saw Synpower at less than $5.50/qt and $29 for 5-qt jug, the price per quart is less for 5-qt jug for all other brands, dino or syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back