Wagon superiority thread

According to Car and Driver I'm good.
I've always thought the Outback is certainly a station wagon. That one gets some debate sometimes on the interwebs b/c of how it has grown in size plus the lift and how it can be referred to as a CUV sometimes by even Subaru but it's based on the Legacy sedan, shares the same metal for parts of it so clearly a wagon. That's big one in station wagon lyfe.....is the vehicle in question based on another car in the line up (sedan, hatch).

If everyone could please read the following regarding what is a station wagon or not before posting your hatchback, CUV, or wahtever you think is station wagon but isn't, that would be great...thanks...ahhaahahha 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 Everyone wants to be in the cool-guy wagon club but we don't' give participation trophy's out.

All those wagons have literal hatchbacks.
The MINI Clubman has barn doors, not a hatchback so it’s the most wagon of all the current wagons 😜

2CCAD2E8-119E-4B91-87F2-90994C250D4C.jpeg

View attachment 26941

Last edited:
Not everyone had a Vista Cruiser or a Fairlane wagon with the peeling wood grain side accents.

Wagons back in the day had a tailgate. Hatches were not a thing yet. Higher end models had a electric rear window. Lower end models had the hand crank version. Both were problematic and usually required another set of hands to pull up on the glass while the other person pushed the button or cranked.
The fancy ones would fold down or open sideways.

Here are a few I remember from my youth, in the '70s. I owned the 2-door coupe version of the Vauxhall and the Corolla, wish I'd owned all of the following in wagon form!

I don't know if these were ever sold in the US, but GM imported the Envoy Epic and its sister car, the Vauxhall Viva, into Canada from about the mid-'60s until about 1970. The next generation was renamed the Vauxhall Firenza, and was brought in for a couple of years. The Epic was sold by Chev-Olds-Cadillac dealers, and the Viva by Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers.

Both cars did very poorly mechanically in Canada, to the point that the Epic was commonly referred to as the Epidemic. I owned an old beat-up '68 Viva, and testify as to its mechanical unreliability. Anyway, I thought the 2nd-gen wagon, shown, looked pretty slick back in the day:

1970_Envoy_Epic_1600_deluxe_wagon_(Vauxhall_Viva_HB_Estate).jpg
Epic wagon 1.jpg

The Japanese brands were very common in the western Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, with numerous dealerships springing up in the late '60s. I imagine the same was true of the Pacific coast states. Here are a few of my favourites from the day:

Datsun 510 wagon
Datsun 510 wagon.jpg

Mazda 1200 wagon
mazda-1200 wagon.jpg

Mazda 1500/1800 wagon
Mazda-1500.jpg

Toyota Corolla wagon
corolla wagon.jpg

And finally, and bit later than the others, the amazing whale-like mid-'70s Toyota Crown wagon
toyota crown wagon.jpg

These were available with a 2.6 l engine (a big 4, not an inline 6, if I recall correctly) and a 5-speed manual!

For whatever reason, I've always loved wagons.

This is my kind of thread.
2 wagons.jpg

wagons face to face.jpg

I am serious about being a wagon fan. That red one on the street is technically a van but its still cool and i think of it as my giant wagon. Both TourX and Alltrack were purchased new, at great discounts, and i consider them to be un replaceable.

This is my kind of thread. View attachment 27061
View attachment 27062

I am serious about being a wagon fan. That red one on the street is technically a van but its still cool and i think of it as my giant wagon. Both TourX and Alltrack were purchased new, at great discounts, and i consider them to be un replaceable.
Welcome brother. Yes...my Sportwagen was new and not replaceable at this point. TourX is nice.

Love this display of wagon awesomeness. From the Magnum, 76 Chevy wagon (love that back window and door engineering), and all the others. Pic below of Tour-X @ NY Int. Auto Show back in 2017. And a pic of my 06 V70R overlooking the Hudson River at West Point on the way back home to MA.

F1ECA7C6-3593-4DC5-AAB4-B8FDF350CA2C.jpeg

D082CC70-BB62-4EF5-9D57-6FCA4AC7EB4A.jpeg

I had an Eagle as a winter vehicle until about 5 years ago when the tinworm finally got to be too much. Although those cars were rustproofed pretty well at the factory, 30 years of salted winter roads takes its toll. (It was my 2nd Eagle wagon, the first was totalled by a guy who ran a red light.)

Of course the Eagle has basically the same body as the Hornet Sportabout wagon.

1985-eagle.jpg

Back