Wagon superiority thread

And what's wrong with that?

I prefer RWD. Simple as that. If the weather gets really bad I have my Wrangler or my wife's X1. That said, I could possibly be persuaded by an AWD system that allows the driver to send 100% of the torque to the rear wheels AND has a mechanical rear LSD- such as the systems found on the F90 M5, C63 S, or the Stinger GTS.

Nice, but can it carry a full-sized clothes washer and dryer like a Subaru Impreza hatchback?

gdhgrzs91qu11.jpg
Whatever those are, full sized they are not... unless you took out both front seats to make them fit, so aren't driving them anywhere unless you're a dwarf sitting in the drum while doing so. ;)

Whatever those are, full sized they are not... unless you took out both front seats to make them fit, so aren't driving them anywhere unless you're a dwarf sitting in the drum while doing so. ;)

Not my car. There is a long reddit thread on it by the mover of washers and driers. I liked the part where he says:

“ When I bought these on Craigslist and showed up with just a little hatchback the guy had no faith. All fit though!”

Push the passenger seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back forward, then turn the washer on its side so the control panel fits into that space. He got it to work. One should marvel at it, not scoff.

^ Why marvel to find something that barely (doesn't) fit in a vehicle, when bigger vehicles exist? No matter what vehicle you chose you could do this, say "look it barely fits".

If you can't even sit upright at the correct pedal distance, it's not marvelous to be driving unsafely on wet winter roads with a load.

A more responsible person would haul one piece at a time. It still beats what a sedan can do, but isn't at all marvelous, or wondrous, or anything like that. It's just math.

^ Why marvel to find something that barely (doesn't) fit in a vehicle, when bigger vehicles exist? No matter what vehicle you chose you could do this, say "look it barely fits".

If you can't even sit upright at the correct pedal distance, it's not marvelous to be driving unsafely on wet winter roads with a load.

A more responsible person would haul one piece at a time. It still beats what a sedan can do, but isn't at all marvelous, or wondrous, or anything like that. It's just math.
And it isn't a station wagon so who cares....ahahahaha

Kinda of shocked I have not seen one of these posted yet. I use to have a Saab 9-3 2.0T (high output- 200HP) 6MT wagon, which turns out to be an extremely rare combo and I have never seen another one like it. It was a GREAT car. I got rid of it simply because I didn't need it, plus I sold it for a profit. lol
Saab.jpg

I prefer RWD. Simple as that. If the weather gets really bad I have my Wrangler or my wife's X1. That said, I could possibly be persuaded by an AWD system that allows the driver to send 100% of the torque to the rear wheels AND has a mechanical rear LSD- such as the systems found on the F90 M5, C63 S, or the Stinger GTS.

Not to mention that an RWD system will be simpler, less to go wrong or break, less sensitivity to tire variation, lighter, more fuel,efficient, etc.

Im still a fan of the Subaru wagon, though it’s a bummer that they got rid of the MT option. The Mercedes E class wagon has been my favorite. Red amg with black roof please.

Not to mention that an RWD system will be simpler, less to go wrong or break, less sensitivity to tire variation, lighter, more fuel,efficient, etc.

Im still a fan of the Subaru wagon, though it’s a bummer that they got rid of the MT option. The Mercedes E class wagon has been my favorite. Red amg with black roof please.
After having this VW with 4Motion/Haldex awd...I ain't going back.

Last edited:
That Saab is a beaut. I don't see Saabs of any kind very often anymore, although I did see one last week. Like most Euro brands even though old they look to be in pretty good shape.

This is what started the addiction, circa 2015:
540iat.jpg

I believe it was a model year 2000 BMW 540iT sport package wagon. 5 speed auto V8 RWD. Air springs in the back so you load it down and it levels out. Of course those broke. Of course the window regulators broke. Lots of little things broke all the time. It was still amazing and i miss it. I made an economical decision in selling it for my first Golf sportwagen that cost less per month in a payment and gas than this beautiful wagon cost in fuel and constant repairs.

As an aside, I realized that the dumbing-down of the typical US vehicle operator(“driver” is far too generous a term) was virtually irreversible when I had an incompetent fool tell me he couldn't buy a RWD car because he needed a vehicle that he could drive in the rain...

As an aside, I realized that the dumbing-down of the typical US vehicle operator(“driver” is far too generous a term) was virtually irreversible when I had an incompetent fool tell me he couldn't buy a RWD car because he needed a vehicle that he could drive in the rain...
While your comment is funny and has some truth to it for sure - my choice of transmission and driveline isn't a pre-req to be a ****ty driver. It's a choice based on the best available tech to gain maximum enjoyment out of my driving. I have really enjoyed driving an awd car in normal conditions where a rwd/fwd car would have traction issues.

While your comment is funny and has some truth to it for sure - my choice of transmission and driveline isn't a pre-req to be a ****ty driver. It's a choice based on the best available tech to gain maximum enjoyment out of my driving. I have really enjoyed driving an awd car in normal conditions where a rwd/fwd car would have traction issues.

If your cars give you maximum enjoyment that's all that matters. In my case, I'm fortunate my wife chose an E84 X1 M Sport, as it was fitted with the M Sport suspension and the xDrive system has a default F/R torque split of 40/60. Even then, I'm glad she drives it 99% of the time. I will admit that I truly enjoyed the Long Beach Blue F85 X5 M press loaner I used when my son and I were doing a story on A Weekend With Heroes at the BMW CCA Foundation in Greenville, SC- of course having 567 hp at my disposal was a major factor in my enjoyment. And the M340i xDrive service loaner I had a while back was also nice; it was almost fun despite the AWD. Still, when it comes to my side of the garage I want RWD for everything except for a true off-road vehicle and my commuter sled(the R55).

Back