VW's new electric vehicle with 280mi (448km range)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://insideevs.com/vw-i-d-roomzz-electric-suv-reveal/

The newest addition to the I.D. range is bigger than the I.D. Crozz and has three rows.

Auto Shanghai 2019 is literally just around the corner and Volkswagen wants to be among the firsts to introduce one of its latest creations - bound to strengthen the German marque's electric I.D. range. For the uninitiated, China is currently the largest market for zero-emission vehicles in the world.

Dubbed as the I.D. Roomzz, the all-electric SUV is bound to stir the continuously growing global three-row SUV market but with zero emissions and smart in-car technologies. It sits on the modular electric drive matrix (MEB) platform but it's bigger than the I.D. Crozz, which was debuted in Los Angeles in 2017.

In the front cabin, the I.D. Roomzz features a digital, glass-front panel. The dashboard and steering wheel floats in front of the driver as a visual display. In combination with the I.D. Pilot mode, the I.D. Roomz concept vehicle can be driven autonomously without an active driver.

The VW I.D. Roomzz has its own version of 4MOTION technology, with two electric motors powering the front and rear axles with a system output of 225 kiloWatt (302 horsepower). This allows the electric SUV to accelerate to 100 kilometers per hour (62 miles per hour) in 6.6 seconds and reach regulated speeds of up to 180 kph (112 mph).

More importantly, the VW I.D. Roomzz is powered by an 82-kWh battery, which allows ranges of up to 450 km (280 mi) under WLTP, or 475 km (295 mi) under NEFZ in China.

VW is set to debut the production version of the I.D. Roomzz, I.D. Crozz, and the Compact I.D. in 2020, with all three models to be sold globally. On the other hand, the I.D. Vizzion sedan and I.D. Buzz will debut its production version in 2022

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Nothing like electric SUVs to save the planet.

Well, people aren't buying small cars so... Why not not electrify the biggest segment, a segment that also happens to burn a large amount of fuel?

Looks like VW is building a money printing machine.

Electric motor output is always reported as horsepower, which is less important than torque imo.
Sure would like to see something like a 2019RAV4 AWD gas and 2019 RAV4 AWD hybrid put on a dyno to see the hp readings, but more interesting - at east to me - the torque readings.

So how do you take a trip that's over 300 miles? Wait till the car runs out of juice, and hope your at a hotel with a charging station? Wouldn't that turn a 8 hr 500 mile trip, into a two day event? Could someone please show me the advantage of owning a car with this new technology.,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
So how do you take a trip that's over 300 miles? Wait till the car runs out of juice, and hope your at a hotel with a charging station? Wouldn't that turn a 8 hr 500 mile trip, into a two day event? Could someone please show me the advantage of owning a car with this new technology.,,

Most people don't drive more than 300 miles in a day more than a couple times a year.

Back in 1908 I bet a lot of people didn't want to buy the Model T because it "Only" went 250 miles on a tank, and the fuel wasn't readily available.

Most families have more than one car, so that couple times a year you need to take a really long trip, take the other car.

Super charging stations will be built, and these things will be able to charge faster as well.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Nothing like electric SUVs to save the planet.

I wonder what the total environmental impact is, electric vs. internal combustion.

1. Electrics are not zero emissions. Most electric power needed to recharge creates pollution. And, there are transmission losses.
2. The impact of scrapping an electric car has to be much higher because of the electronic and batteries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Most people don't drive more than 300 miles in a day more than a couple times a year.

And, when they do, they want to get there in a day, not a weekend.

We're not buying a second car just for occasional long trips, and don't want to waste even more time renting one when we need it.

As an example, if using a Tesla, you plug your route into the GPS, it routes you through the supercharger network to make sure you can complete the trip without running out of "gas". Recharge may be an hour or less, but depends on the routing, your state of discharge, remaining distance and if the superchargers are available when you get there.
VW will probably come with a similar system.

Originally Posted by emg

We're not buying a second car just for occasional long trips, and don't want to waste even more time renting one when we need it.

I'd suggest doing some more research on electric car charging, it might interest you.

Tesla's network can recharge a car by 80% in 40 minutes. It takes longer than that to eat lunch on a trip.

A gas station stop while everyone gets out and uses the bathroom, and you pump gas and they look at souvenirs takes 20+ minutes.

Originally Posted by emg

I'd suggest doing some more research on electric car charging, it might interest you.

Tesla's network can recharge a car by 80% in 40 minutes. It takes longer than that to eat lunch on a trip.

A gas station stop while everyone gets out and uses the bathroom, and you pump gas and they look at souvenirs takes 20+ minutes.

Certainly. But you aren't pumping gas for 20 minutes. How man cars can flow through a 12-pump fuel station in that 20 minutes? Now how many 40 minute charges are going to happen in that same 20 minutes assuming 12 charging stations?

Also, Tesla software limits supercharging frequency so you don't cook the batteries. So assuming it will always be a 40 minute interval is folly. It will vary depending on what the software determines is safe/suitable.

I've considered a Tesla a few times now, but I have no delusions that I'll be able to drive the 1800Km out east to see my sisters in a day like I can now with a gasser. There's also no charging at our cottage at this juncture either, which would make something as simple as a summer trip potentially problematic.

Stuff to consider. It's not as "breezy easy" as it can appear to be.

You think too much, you're not the target demographic.

Originally Posted by emg

The rental car issue is one brought up regularly by those pushing low range EV's.

I rent on a weekly basis. I can tell you, that without a doubt, getting a family capable vehicle is nearly impossible, despite a week ahead reservation. AND, if they happen to have one on the lot, it's likely to be very expensive.

In reality, the best you can hope for is an Altima. A fine car for solo travel. Not great for a family.

My point, you cannot count on rental car companies to get you what you need.

I don't know what they don't have batteries that are able to be swapped in/out of a vehicle similar to a forklift or tow-motor and you can just pull up to a station and have your battery swapped out.
No worries about range anxiety, long charging times and no need for charging stations everywhere.

Last edited:
My Legacy very well may be replaced with an EV. I drive 20 miles round-trip to work, 5-7 days/week. My wife's family lives 100 miles away. This will be well within the range of an EV, when I'm ready to trade up in 4-10 years.

For longer road trips, we'll take the Forester.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by emg

The rental car issue is one brought up regularly by those pushing low range EV's.

I rent on a weekly basis. I can tell you, that without a doubt, getting a family capable vehicle is nearly impossible, despite a week ahead reservation. AND, if they happen to have one on the lot, it's likely to be very expensive.

In reality, the best you can hope for is an Altima. A fine car for solo travel. Not great for a family.

My point, you cannot count on rental car companies to get you what you need.

That 100% depends on where you live. If you live anywhere close to a major city, you'll have a much larger group to select from, if you can plan ahead. Near me, the pickings are slim, but mini-vans can be had, if you reserve them well in advance.

An EV works best as a 2nd car.................. If you own only ONE vehicle, a hybrid will work well for both around town and long trips.

Range anxiety is real; you gotta plan. But you learn.
As has been posted, the GPS plots your route via chargers, based on your remaining charge and charger availability.
Elon has planned to triple the number of chargers; Europe and China are coming on line.
Other companies are getting on board to get a piece of the electric car business pie.

There will be technology shifts, certainly; today's buyers, like me, are early adopters, to be sure.

Regarding range anxiety, the flip side is true as well:
I can charge at night and at work.
I spend far less of my time refueling than any ICE vehicle.

I have said it many times, electric cars are not for everyone.
But our Model 3 is a fantastic car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
No worries about range anxiety, long charging times and no need for charging stations everywhere.

So you buy your brand-new electric car with a brand-new electric battery, drive out of the the city for a weekend, stop at some backstreet garage in a small town, and swap that $20,000 battery for one they have kicking around. And hope it's not ten years old and about to croak before you get home. Or to catch fire after you park in your garage.

The only way battery swaps can work is if you lease the battery and have faith in the lessor trashing all their batteries when they get worn-out or damaged. Which brings all kinds of new issues (e.g. the town you visit only has a Fast Battery Swap store while you lease from Battery Superstore).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back