Visiting Chicago Today thru Sunday. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving to Chicago today to meet a friend who’s running in a race Saturday.

Would love some suggestions on places to go, things to do, and places to eat.

We’re thinking Willis Tower, maybe some museums, and definitely want some Chicago-style pizza.

I’m also a runner, so, I’m looking for a couple of good places to run. Maybe along the lakeshore would be cool.

We’re staying in Countryside.

Thanks for any suggestions & tips!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Museum of Science and Industry!!!

...From Countryside is almost a straight shot on local streets.
If not take 55 North. Around 10AM rush hour should have passed...
Saturday and Sunday, will be just tourists in the area, so some shops close.
Have the apps with Walgreens/CVS (they are everywhere), for your water/small snacks needs so you dont' get charged tourist prices...
Then you drive just a bit North on Lakeshore Drive, and park around downtown and walk everywhere(check online for parking deals).
You can run on the bike/running path along Lakeshore drive. (Today raining gear please!)
Adler Planetarium, Fields Museum, Shedd Aquarium, the 2 parks across the street (Millennium Park, Grant Park/Buckingham Fountain)
Navy Pier
Lincoln Park Zoo (free admission)

Enjoy the weather!

Musei - Field Museum, MSI, and the Art Institute are all really good.

Food - Pizzeria Uno/Dua in the Loop are really good, but not true Chicago pizza in my book. Giordano's is a small chain that sells real stuffed pizza, it is usually better at neighborhood shops but I don't know names anymore after moving away 20+ years ago.
Chinatown is always fun, go for a dim sim brunch if possible but expect to wait (especially on Sunday).
For me, an Italian beef and sausage combo is the #1 Chicago food that is easy to get...Portillo's is a chain that has it, but any local hole in the wall place should work. I mention Italian beef to anybody not from Chicago and they're like, huh?
Last time I visited, the friend I was meeting was severely delayed by weather and I ended up eating dinner by myself in an Armenian restaurant across from my hotel. It was great and I'd never had anything quite like it before, there are lots of fascinating ethnic restaurants in Chicago to sample.

Sports - the Cards are in town to play the Cubs...should be intense, but you'll have to scalp tickets and pay a pretty penny. Wrigley is a gem and by far my favorite ballpark. Wrigleyville has a lot of great bars and pubs, G-Man is my favorite (used to be Gingerman's).
Running and biking along the lakefront is great, but expect it to be EXTREMELY crowded. Probably want to stay on the North side of town for this.

Drinking - Lincoln/Halsted/Fullerton has a bunch of great places to hang out and should not be as jam packed as Wrigleyville when the Cubs are in town. Buddy Guy's in the South Loop is a cool place and you might catch a really good band.

Try to take the train if possible, parking in Chicago can really ruin your day. You should be able to pick up the Midway line from Countryside quite easily.

Have a great trip!

EDIT - Chinatown recommendations...
Ming Hin (also in the Loop, dim sum)
Qing Xiang Yuan Dumplings
Lao Sze Chuan (Szechuan)
Evergreen

Last edited:
The Magnificent Mile. Take a walk through places like Eataly for a glimpse of how big city people live:
b78b64cee7b3495d34d0f57ebd31f9d8.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ZDfS_oQ#imgrc=_

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The Magnificent Mile. Take a walk through places like Eataly for a glimpse of how big city people live:

Just visited there last year and that place is totally insane...

OP,

I forgot: eateries.

Search the google reviews because many also have pictures and choose the one that you fancy on.

Cannot help much since with kids we carry everything with us on outings...

Also since you will be in crowds, common phone and wallet sense still apply...

If you take the train, the big downtown station has a Lot of small eating places for commuters. I liked the bread bowl soups.

If you want to go to Shedd Aquarium, JOIN. The line is shorter and you can take a guest. So I found it cheaper and less time consuming to become a member and then took my daughter in as my guest.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

We’re thinking Willis Tower, maybe some museums, and definitely want some Chicago-style pizza.

I’m also a runner, so, I’m looking for a couple of good places to run. Maybe along the lakeshore would be cool.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Museum of Science and Industry!!!

20 years ago, yes. Today, meh. Gone downhill.
Aquarium is pretty good.
Running along the lake is popular.
Miracle mile is a popular walk, girls like the American Doll store.
Owen and Engine for food.

CityPass click me

5 attractions/museums for $106.

Also a bit North about 40min-1hour drive is the Chicago Botanic Garden. Free admission, but parking costs...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If you want to go to Shedd Aquarium, JOIN. The line is shorter and you can take a guest. So I found it cheaper and less time consuming to become a member and then took my daughter in as my guest.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Imitate Ferris Bueller's Day Off, duh.

Cameron got murdered by his dad and it was Ferris' fault.

I'm still amazed by some parking attendants/valet skills. My Elantra, 1 Centimeter or 1/3 inch from concrete wall, no scratch

I've been to Chicago a number of times, often more than once in a year. My advice on where to go? Not to Chicago.

For running, you can run around the Millennium park downtown, or head a little north and run along the lake shore from the beach through Lincoln Park. Wrigleyville is ri Even if you don't make it to the aquarium or planetarium, I'd suggest driving out towards the planetarium/Northerly Island at night if it's clear out, you can get a decent night view of the city from there.

Taking the Metra from Countryside isn't a bad idea, as long as you're just going in and largely spending most of your time in one place, then going back, just make sure to watch the schedule. It might just make sense to drive though, if you plan to check out any neighborhoods other than right downtown (the Loop). Metered street parking isn't usually too bad.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can skip going up the Willis tower and go up the Hancock instead, they have a bar up there, the Signature Lounge where you can sit and have a drink and see the view.

A popular thing to do, which I think is pretty cool, is to take one of the river tours. I have only done the one put on by the Chicago Architecture Foundation, but there are other companies that run the tours that give some history of the city and the architecture. If you don't have time to take the tour, you can still take the river taxi, which might be perfect if you end up taking the Metra into the city and want to get over towards the shopping/tourist areas.

I'll try think of other stuff!

https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/train-lines/BNSF/map
https://www.signatureroom.com/lounge/
https://www.architecture.org/experience-...t-lady-cruises/
https://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

Only reason I go to Chicago once a year is my son lives right in the city. Otherwise no thanks, but I will second the botanical gardens,best of all it's 45 minutes north of the city and about 25 bucks for everyone you can fit in a car.You can spend most of a day there if you like that sort of thing.
Any further comments I have about Chicago would get this locked for sure!

I've been in Chicago a few times, Lake Shore Drive is a nice run - I ran that with a few people over from lululemon off the Magnificent Mile. There's a yoga studio I really liked off Grand a few blocks away from the Western St. Metra station that came in handy after a few hours in a 737.

Definitely check out the Chicago Art Institute - it was made famous in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I also made it a point to see a Cubs or Sox game in town, too bad neither was playing against the Oakland A's or SF Giants. Last time I was in Chicago, I went to the Chicago Car Show, which is a big deal to some automakers.

For food, I consider a char dog from Gold Coast Dogs a must in the 312. I went to the one at Union Station near my company's office. I've ate at Rosebud, nothing special but if you want a really good steak go to Tango Sur in Wrigleyville. Super datey on most nights of the week. It's BYOB and the steaks/empandas are really good. As for drinks, I really liked Bangers and Lace in Wicker Park and Small Bar in Avondale.

It's been a while, I want to go back. I did venture out to Chinatown in the Southside.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I've been to Chicago a number of times, often more than once in a year. My advice on where to go? Not to Chicago.

Eh, typical WI attitude...my wife is from there and always badmouths Chicago.
I don't see huge crowds from all over the world flocking to Milwaukee...
I like WI and have a lot of family there, and my late mother was born there, but the knee jerk Chicago bashing just gets old. You think Kenosha is so great? Mom hated WI and moved to the big city as soon as she finished high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back