20230524_190123.jpg
20230524_190306.jpg
20230524_190426.jpg
20230524_190548.jpg
20230524_190705.jpg
20230524_190837.jpg
20230524_190847.jpg

20230524_191239.jpg

Thought I'd finish cutting the paper off the old oily one. (Different filter, these last 2)

20230524_191436.jpg
20230524_191536.jpg

Stubby looking filter. It looks great though! I see the missing gasket you were talking about. Can't use it w/o a gasket...so thanks for the pics.

Still have not dug into this new fram set-up but I think the line up goes like this...

• PH - 10k
  • TG - 15k
  • Ultra - 20k
  • Endurance - 25k - BUT it's only an "Exclusive Wal-mart" item

The virgin media is wavy even before use!
Not impressed with new Fram XG; def not as strong as the old wire-backed ones.
I'm interested in trying that filter out at Walmart, looked halfway decent. Then again, I use Mobil 1 or Kirkland's signature series full synthetic and change it every 6 months, and it doesn't even have 3000 miles on it.. So I'm more interested, in getting a premium filter that's going to filter out, all the contaminants, then I am the mileage, I been using, WIX and WIX XP..

I'm interested in trying that filter out at Walmart, looked halfway decent. Then again, I use Mobil 1 or Kirkland's signature series full synthetic and change it every 6 months, and it doesn't even have 3000 miles on it.. So I'm more interested, in getting a premium filter that's going to filter out, all the contaminants, then I am the mileage, I been using, WIX and WIX XP..
Honestly, for 6 months and 3000 miles a Fram PH would be plenty. Filters 95% at 20 microns, and the TG is 99%.

From what I've seen the extra and tough guards have more filter surface area than the ultra due to the metal end caps on this application.

.. So I'm more interested, in getting a premium filter that's going to filter out, all the contaminants, then I am the mileage, I been using, WIX and WIX XP..
if you’re interested in good filtration, almost any possible other pick you could make is better than Wix XP. And as far as regular Wix goes, well, even a lowly Fram orange can does at least as good a job. Sorry 🤷‍♂️

At least both Wix filters generally have decent construction?

if you’re interested in good filtration, almost any possible other pick you could make is better than Wix XP. And as far as regular Wix goes, well, even a lowly Fram orange can does at least as good a job. Sorry 🤷‍♂️

At least both Wix filters generally have decent construction?
So I've heard. What is the micron rating of a WIX

The virgin media is wavy even before use!
Not impressed with new Fram XG; def not as strong as the old wire-backed ones.
Agree; I cut open a XG8A while searching for a filter for a remote filter setup and the media was very fragile--almost "powdery" as it was torn.

Going with Donaldson.

Agree; I cut open a XG8A while searching for a filter for a remote filter setup and the media was very fragile--almost "powdery" as it was torn.

Going with Donaldson.
That’s the “synthetic” falling off the blend media base. I agree, a very poor design. No accident that the better wire backed RP media showed up in the big $ Endurance! STILL not as good as the OG’s original 2-ply full synthetic media (nor the high end Donaldson, if available in the application)!

Barely big enough for a gasoline filter. And as I have chided others, why cut open this filter when we already know it construction? Some Kawasaki lawn tractor somewhere is grieving a loss.
But, thank you.

Last edited:
That’s the “synthetic” falling off the blend media base. I agree, a very poor design. No accident that the better wire backed RP media showed up in the big $ Endurance! STILL not as good as the OG’s original 2-ply full synthetic media (nor the high end Donaldson, if available in the application)!
I could not find a Donaldson "Blue", but I am good with the Black (P169071) as it has 22um @ 99% efficiency.

I like the idea of the TG, being 99%, but the pleading issue bothers me.. don't get me wrong, a lot of the other manufacturers, can't do much better.
Same here, but although the pleat spacing is not great, they are definitely secured pretty strong to the end caps. The last one I cut open I had a heck of a time trying to pull the media from the end caps, which I can't say about many other filters.

Again, I used to be on the opposite side of the fence, a Fram hater, but after cutting them open, they are a pretty good value.

Sort of crazy that Fram/First Brands marketing/development has three premium filters to offer,
the Ultra, Titanium and now Endurance. Confusing and possibly overlapping.
I did have an Ultra gasket melt to to filter boss last time out on a Subaru Outback 2.5 NA D.I. motor. Had a hard time getting the thing to unscrew. The gasket was slipping at the filter base interface but stuck to the adapter mounting face side on the engine. Quite surprising and unexpected.
- Ken

Back