very clean---i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
just turned 320K miles on the accord. I replaced the original valve cover gasket due to a leak and noticed that after ARX, there is no black carbon/sludge except in a tiny corner of the cover (everything else is clean-- but my concern is the varnish-looking stuff---looks like someone was staining their deck and then stained the inside of the head...looks like laquer should I be concerned?

No, you do not need to be concerned about this.

I am at 368,000 miles on my car now, what year is your Honda Accord.

Last edited:
From what I've read it takes A-Rx a very long time to remove varnish, and according to them varnish is a cosmetic issue. Perhaps MMO or one of the LC products is better suited at attacking the varnish, especially since the A-RX has cleaned up the other junk.

AD

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
95 accord F22B1 vtec... original motor and auto trans. MMO is mystery oil?

Yes, MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil.

I do not know if it cleans off varnish stains.

just turned 320K miles on the accord. I replaced the original valve cover gasket due to a leak and noticed that after ARX, there is no black carbon/sludge except in a tiny corner of the cover (everything else is clean-- but my concern is the varnish-looking stuff---looks like someone was staining their deck and then stained the inside of the head...looks like laquer should I be concerned?

If you made it 320K I wouldn't worry about varnish! You got your monies worth out of that engine! Anything else is just gravy.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
MMO= Marvel Mystery Oil. Good stuff!

AD

MMO is good for only one thing. If you somehow got water in the cylinders (more common for boats) then dump some MMO down each spark plug hole and let it sit overnight.

Forget about MMO in your oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald

AD

MMO is good for only one thing. If you somehow got water in the cylinders (more common for boats) then dump some MMO down each spark plug hole and let it sit overnight.

MMO is great for use in fuel of cars with old Carbs.

+1 Varnish is harmless.
Just not great to look at!

Originally Posted By: Donald

AD

My dad and I have used it for many years in both gas and oil with good results. YMMV, but it has worked well for us, and seems to clean up varnish too. It's been around longer than any additive I know of and the product is still successful. If it was destroying engines we'd know about it.

AD

On a late model Accord you'd be on your 3rd A/T by now.
I don't think Honda builds them like they used to.

yeah, I had oil pressure tested and it was 11psi at idle(about 600rpm) and 70psi at 2500rpm... I am thinking the trans will go before the motor. but we'll see. i think it is funny when i see the same generation accords for sale on the side of the road and the owner says they are selling it 'cause it "has too many miles" and it has about 143k on it...I tell em it's just gettin broken in.... they always give me a look like I am crazy

Originally Posted By: pbm

The A/T for the Accord was terrible about 4-7 years ago, but they have fixed the problems, and according to Consumer Reports reliability surveys, the new ones are quite reliable.

i think it is funny when i see the same generation accords for sale on the side of the road and the owner says they are selling it 'cause it "has too many miles" and it has about 143k on it...I tell em it's just gettin broken in.... they always give me a look like I am crazy

I just got me one of those a month ago, has 137k miles on it! Looking forward to getting at least a few good years out of it.

make sure you have the balance shaft retainer installed...or it might be the cam seal retainer...there was a recall to get it put on.... if not, the plug pops out and you lose all oil---IT HAPPENED TO ME... luckily i was right in front of a dealer and they replaced everything free of charge. check to see if your car has it...

Oooh... um, how would I know if it was replaced? The previous owner kept records...but they weren't very legible, and he basically said he brought it in for scheduled maintenance and when something broke.

Where would I look for this? Can I go to a dealer and have them pull the VIN?

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: pbm

The A/T for the Accord was terrible about 4-7 years ago, but they have fixed the problems, and according to Consumer Reports reliability surveys, the new ones are quite reliable.

I would wait a 4 - 7 years before passing judgement...

Varnish is completely harmless. There is no need to dump Rx or any other extraneous solvents into your engine.

About to go 200K in a 92 Accord. The engine runs as new. Ditching a car with 143k, due to it being 'old' is nuts! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back