Vendors asking for ID for CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other side of the coin. If you had an ex wife like mine you would be thankful they asked for ID. Long story but you get the idea.
lol.gif

My driver's license has an "assigned ID" instead of my SSN. I have no issue with being asked for it when using a CC, but I refuse to give them my phone number or anything else. I politely tell them their payment is guaranteed by the card-issuer so they need nothing else from me. If they insist, I give them my old number from NJ when I lived there in the '60s.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do you report the vendors to your bank/Visa/MC?

Anyone else decline to show ID? I do NOT feel personally that they are looking out for me or doing me a service.

No and no. Out of all the things in life that I need to be concerned with, this (in my opinion) is so trivial that it doesn't even warrant any concern. I don't have a problem with a merchant trying to protect themselves from fraud, and if it requires that I show a second form of ID it's not something that I'd get in a huff over.

But then I don't use credit cards all that often. When I do it's at the fuel pump or for an occasional on-line purchase.

I agree.

After having my CC used fraudulently twice in the past 3 years...I have NO PROBLEM with merchants double checking.

I guess I don't get it. In an age of stolen identity and stolen cards, I'm not sure I'd be upset to show proof that I am who I am. I don't want to ever deal with "sorry mr supton but someone racked up eleventy billion on your credit card, was that person you by any chance?"

Although I guess these days people aren't using stolen credit cards at kiosks as much as online, so it does beg the question of why a brick and mortar vendor would need this in the first place.

What peeved me years ago was getting carded while buying BB's at a Walmart. I guess in NY it's required. Given how I was not only married but sporting a beard at the time I was a bit miffed. While buying BB's of all things!

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Do you report the vendors to your bank/Visa/MC?

Anyone else decline to show ID? I do NOT feel personally that they are looking out for me or doing me a service.

No and no. Out of all the things in life that I need to be concerned with, this (in my opinion) is so trivial that it doesn't even warrant any concern. I don't have a problem with a merchant trying to protect themselves from fraud, and if it requires that I show a second form of ID it's not something that I'd get in a huff over.

But then I don't use credit cards all that often. When I do it's at the fuel pump or for an occasional on-line purchase.

I agree.

After having my CC used fraudulently twice in the past 3 years...I have NO PROBLEM with merchants double checking.

I don't mind them checking my ID at all. Usually they don't, but I have at least one card where the signature strip has worn off. If they can't read it they check. Seems like such a trivial thing to get worked up over.

I'm like the last few posters, not only do I not mind them checking but I wish they would check everybody's ID when using a CC. It wasn't all that long ago when that's how it was done after all. I've had someone make a physical duplicate of my card and use it at stores in Central America so I'm sure that affects my opinion though.

Strange - I charge almost everything, including the less than $1 transactions, I probably spend under $50 in cash a year. I can't recall ever being asked for my id. Maybe I would feel different once it happened but I it wouldn't bother me, honestly I would probably prefer it. I've had two CC replaced since December, one proactively and one due to actual fraudulent charges - I'd much rather be asked for my id at point of sale than waste time calling a CC company informing them of fraud, or even just waiting for the new card in the mail.
---
Originally Posted By: supton
What peeved me years ago was getting carded while buying BB's at a Walmart. I guess in NY it's required. Given how I was not only married but sporting a beard at the time I was a bit miffed. While buying BB's of all things!

It's funny to me seeing people get worked up over stuff like this in the store. I understand the backwardness of carding someone that is clearly of legal age but from the stores perspective I can see the ease of saying, we're carding everyone, not just the people that clearly look of age. Gets the cashier out of the awkward situation of insulting woman they don't card too
smile.gif

Anecdotal examples (I'll probably get some unhappy responses to these :)):
1. I know one girl who has been into theater since a young age - at 13/14 she was able to dress up as a lady in her 70s, wig, cane, etc. and slipped passed many cashiers without ever being asked for id.
2. One guy I know has had his hairline receding since 15 and a beard since 16, add a 10 gallon hat, button down shirt and bolo - I'm sure you get the idea.

If visa/mc mandated I'd checks for all transactions, ok. They don't. Quite the opposite, they specifically state that a properly signed card must be accepted even if ID is not provided.

There is no protection for me. I already have $0 fraud liability.

And if the card is stolen and used at a gas pump, kiosk, online, etc., there is also no verification.

So all this does is create hassle.

I'm amazed that people don't get that this is implied guilt until proven innocent. It's not to protect you, and it is in violation of the agreement. It implies that I am a crook, yet a crook could easily use the card for fraudulent activity in other ways. So all it does is create unnecessary hassle.

That must be some hassle. Do you keep your ID somewhere besides your wallet? I have my wallet in my hand, ready to put my card back in, and if the sales person asks to see my ID, I hold up my already open wallet, they don't need me to take out my driver's license, they see my name and my picture, and it takes 2 seconds.

That's great that you have liability protection, I'm sure we all do. If my card got stolen and used fraudulently, I'd have to call my credit card company, wait on hold, report the card stolen, possibly have to make a police report, wait a few days for a new card to arrive, activate the new card, and if it was the same card that iTunes or Netflix uses, I'd have to go change those to use a new card. Been there, done that.

Hmm... Maybe it's just me, but checking an ID sounds like much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Me Me Me Me Me. Sheesh lose the chip on your shoulder, life's a lot easier when you're not looking for things to take offense over.
If visa/mc mandated I'd checks for all transactions, ok. They don't. Quite the opposite, they specifically state that a properly signed card must be accepted even if ID is not provided.

Links above appear to clearly establish that the vendor is within their right to ask for ID, and you're within your right to decline to provide it. Have you every actually been denied a purchase for declining to show ID?

There is no protection for me. I already have $0 fraud liability.

Fraud costs the credit card companies money, and businesses time and effort. All such costs eventually end up on the consumer in one way or another, so while you don't have any immediate, acute fraud liability it's an awfully narrow & selfish view to think fraud has no impact on you just because you won't have to foot a bill.

And if the card is stolen and used at a gas pump, kiosk, online, etc., there is also no verification.

And this means businesses shouldn't endeavor to reduce fraud during other transactions how?

Taking your ID out of your wallet is a hassel? Your wallet is already out and open since you took the credit card out. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm amazed that people don't get that this is implied guilt until proven innocent. It's not to protect you, and it is in violation of the agreement. It implies that I am a crook, yet a crook could easily use the card for fraudulent activity in other ways. So all it does is create unnecessary hassle.

You are reading way to far into this. Your neighbor locking their door doesn't mean they think you're a crook. This is a simple way for the vendor to protect everyone from fraud a little bit that requires a trivial effort on everyone's part. You are sounding like a crazy person.

jeff

If they are going to ask for your card and ID, why do they put the card swipe on the customer side of the counter for you to swipe?

I try to be efficient, swipe my card while the cashier is ringing my items, they watch me swipe my card and put it back in my wallet and then ask to see my card and ID.
mad.gif

I've noticed this typically happens in Las Vegas and Southern California. Every store there asks to see ID, not so much in other parts of the country.

I feel no more implied guilt than when I remove my shoes going through security to get on a plane. I'm sure some won't like that comparison but
21.gif
... it just doesn't irk me.

Similar to what Dave and greenjp said, I'd really rather deal with a "hassle" of taking my id out than deal with the fraud, and I say that having to get two new cards. It really doesn't have anything to do with a personal liability for me. My cards also entitle me to $0 liability but I would much rather have a quick id check than calling up a CC company, siting on hold, explaining the situation, getting transferred to fraud, explaining the situation again, reviewing my transactions, holding while case notes are made, being informed of a new card being sent, and waiting the 3 to 10 days it takes for the new card to arrive. All that in conjunction with unlinking and relinking a card to XYZ account.

I had that experience with Discover, they were great, no issues but it's a waste of time for me.

Do you .....

snip

Good grief.

I'm sorry, but this really gave me a good chuckle this morning. You are always so focused on all things economic, that I have to think, that if this were your business, you would require *two* forms of ID to combat a possible fraud loss that you might have to eat.

I pick my battles.

I have so many other important and meaningful things going on, petty stuff like this never even hits my radar screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back