Vendors asking for ID for CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Do you report the vendors to your bank/Visa/MC?

Ive started to. Im sick of being guilty until proven innocent, when I have a properly signed card and it is in violation of their merchant agreement.

They make claims which are highly incorrect, typically:

-It is protecting me from fraud. False, I have zero liability on my CCs.
-It is to verify that the card isnt stolen. False because the card could be used to buy stuff online, at gas pumps, etc. with no verification. Further, if I had stolen cash from a person/store/house/bank, they would accept it without question.
-It is their boss's requirement. Then the boss is incorrect because it violates the merchant agreement.

I generally decline to show a receipt when leaving a store, and do not show ID when making purchases, because it is implying guilt until proving innocence. That is unacceptable to me.

Im almost as unhappy with the minimum charge levels that vendors put out, which may in some places be in violation. I can understand that one a bit more and so usually dont make a stink unless it inconveniences me and Im absolutely sure it is in violation of the user agreement.

Anyone else decline to show ID? I do NOT feel personally that they are looking out for me or doing me a service.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
it is in violation of their merchant agreement.

"All the networks allow a merchant to ask for identification."

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

Right from your link:

Quote:
MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. "They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card," says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

Which I also verified at MC and Visa to be the case.

Originally Posted By: dparm
That's odd, I don't think I've ever been asked for ID when using a CC.

I just got it in NM, with a very rude response from the cashier and their boss, which is why I submitted a complaint. Have also gotten it a lot in the VI. I travel a lot and it happens time to time in stores.

I may not be worth a [censored] money wise but when they insult me with an ID check on a signed CC I switch to paying cash and throw it on the table in a returned rude way... with a "reallllllyyy" look on my face and move on with my day.

I refuse to show ID. Unless the signature doesn't match the cards signature, they must accept it with no ID.

One look at what our culture has become and is there any doubt that many people are afraid of being scammed? Scamming the system is the rule and not the exception for a growing segment of our population. Meanwhile the rule makers do it too. Pretty sad really.

Well, I live in a high fraud area, so of course they ask....doesn't hurt my feelings when they do.

I work in retail, and understand why they check. You see all the shady stuff on the other side, and you'd see why too..

Plus, there are many other ways to take stuff off your transaction without your id....just puts a face to the card. That's it's.

I generally decline to show a receipt when leaving a store, and do not show ID when making purchases, because it is implying guilt until proving innocence. That is unacceptable to me.

If you are shopping at a club store like Costco, showing your receipt when leaving is something you agree to do when you sign up for membership. One of the people at mine actually caught a mis-charge on my receipt when the cashier hand typed in the SKU for a piece of China instead of stamps.

As far as showing ID, I don't check. I had a customer ask me why I didn't check ID and I said it violated our agreement with their credit card company, they were totally confused. Technically we are supposed to refuse to accept a card that has "See ID" instead of a signature, however that is a huge hassle that we don't want to deal with.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

If you are shopping at a club store like Costco, showing your receipt when leaving is something you agree to do when you sign up for membership.

I'm not a Sam's club member but have bought beer there. (They legally have to sell alcohol to non-members.)

Receipt in pocket, I waltz out of there, beer in hand, stopping for noone. BTW, their door greeters/ receipt checkers are well trained not to tackle.
wink.gif
The sams' club receipt policy, last I checked, is "We will ask you for your receipt when leaving"-- well, now, that's vague. No requirement to show it.

I understand the photo ID thing to be allowable by MC but not Visa. WM's massive supercomputer generates a flag to their cashier to check; I get it when travelling. The store would rather have cash due to the mercantile discount on cc's, slamming it down when hassled doesn't "show them" anything. (Gas pumps hassle me and my CC by asking for zip code, do I want receipt, car wash, etc.)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Technically we are supposed to refuse to accept a card that has "See ID" instead of a signature, however that is a huge hassle that we don't want to deal with.

I always refused. Or some guy who handed me a card with a woman's name.... (Not a boy names Sue)

Originally Posted By: Trajan

I always refused. Or some guy who handed me a card with a woman's name.... (Not a boy names Sue)

What they can request and what they can require are two totally different things.

My biggest pet-peeve is the fuel pump shut-off limit. Filling my diesel truck almost always necessitates a second swipe at the pump to complete the fill. Ticks me off to no end. The idiots in the station will tell you that the companies require the limit, but that is not true at all. It is the merchant trying to limit their exposure to theft by fraudulent/stolen cards. The merchant typically bears this cost, not the CC company. And yet, no one is standing there asking for my ID to pump fuel, right? No one can see my ID when I order over the phone or online! So why ask for my ID if I walk inside any storefront?

I, too, am getting to the point where I'm tired of being lumped into the scrutiny of the "big brother" eyeball even at private enterprises.

Often happens at medical facilities as well. They claim it's for our protection, but it's not. They are trying to limit fraud (which perhaps in a round-about way keeps our costs down indirectly). Fraud that they end up having to foot the bill for, often.

I am to the point where I don't show ID to anyone, ever. Mostly because of privacy issues and the whole REAL-ID bovine manure (a topic I vehemently dislike, but that's a rant for another day ....)

I typically don't need their services or products that badly anyway. I have been known to walk away, right from the counter, leaving all my stuff there for them to put back on the shelf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Often happens at medical facilities as well. They claim it's for our protection, but it's not. They are trying to limit fraud (which perhaps in a round-about way keeps our costs down indirectly). Fraud that they end up having to foot the bill for, often.

Yeah, what's up with that? They scan my ID or take my picture with a webcam every time. Does the "it wasn't me, bro" excuse ever work?

I leave my SSN off forms at the doctors, but a "friendly" medical group gets them on my paperwork anyway after I used it once at their ER. (Didn't want to be a "troublemaker", wanted prompt treatment for my kid...)

Do you report the vendors to your bank/Visa/MC?

Anyone else decline to show ID? I do NOT feel personally that they are looking out for me or doing me a service.

No and no. Out of all the things in life that I need to be concerned with, this (in my opinion) is so trivial that it doesn't even warrant any concern. I don't have a problem with a merchant trying to protect themselves from fraud, and if it requires that I show a second form of ID it's not something that I'd get in a huff over.

But then I don't use credit cards all that often. When I do it's at the fuel pump or for an occasional on-line purchase.

Mark the calendar, me and Pop in complete agreement!
grin.gif
In the scheme of things to complain about this is well below trivial.

Some of you guys are really getting worked up about nothing, makes you look insane. Seriously, leaving things at the counter and walking off would make you look like a complete jerk. Who does something like that?

jeff

Originally Posted By: dparm
That's odd, I don't think I've ever been asked for ID when using a CC.

I just got it in NM, with a very rude response from the cashier and their boss, which is why I submitted a complaint. Have also gotten it a lot in the VI. I travel a lot and it happens time to time in stores.

What part of New Mexico were you visiting? We are a little odd out here but rarely rude.
YMMV
Smoky

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

But then I don't use credit cards all that often. When I do it's at the fuel pump or for an occasional on-line purchase.

It was at a fuel pump. The pump didnt accept my card so I went inside. The claim was that because I had an out of state zip code, that the pump couldnt process my card (of course the station down the street took it no issue).

And if my card was stolen, the pump wouldnt care, which makes it all the more ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back