Valvoline Restore/Protect Isn't Dexos Licensed.

It states "recommended engine oil". That notice is to prevent shadetree science minors from using up that half case of Toyota 0w16 they had left over from their kid-crashed Camry in their wife's 3 cyl turbo Trail blazer loose pin grenade.

Valvoline mentions this in the FAQ section

1711558743801.jpg

Granted, that's the answer but it feels more of a "no but meh...shrug".

Personally I would run this in anything that calls for D1G1/2/3 and not fret over it. My wife has a 2013 Equinox with the 3.6 that I may use this for in the fall for its yearly oil change.

I don’t think this oil (R+P) falls into the category of a high mileage. I was just surprised to see that it isn't Dexos. I have been pretty impressed by the reports if its cleaning and has considered that it might be a good all around oil. Im just going to stick with Extended Protection.

Riddle me this:

Two GM cars have engine failures.

One has a full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 product in it.

One has an identical blended product, without paying the licensing fee to GM.

How does GM prove Dexos products were used or not?

Riddle me this:

Maybe I cannot solve the Riddle, last time I heard that word was in the 1970's, LOL.
You do bring up something interesting, if there are 2 engine failures with different oils, how do you tell the difference via UOA between a Licensed Oil and an unlicensed oil. I do not think GM could prove anything.

I will also add that in todays world an Engine Failure could be a lack of proper oil changes or letting the engine run low on oil. That may be more important than the Licensing Thing. JMO

Maybe I cannot solve the Riddle, last time I heard that word was in the 1970's, LOL.
You do bring up something interesting, if there are 2 engine failures with different oils, how do you tell the difference via UOA between a Licensed Oil and an unlicensed oil. I do not think GM could prove anything.

I will also add that in todays world an Engine Failure could be a lack of proper oil changes or letting the engine run low on oil. That may be more important than the Licensing Thing. JMO

I was going to say “assume mechanical problem” - not oil related failure. And I should have also noted regular oil changes.

The fact is, it is on the OEM to prove the oil is off spec. As I’ve posted in other threads - people fake the GM Dexos labeling every day of the week in the U.S.

Dexos is “recommended” - otherwise Amsoil, Redline, HPL, Valvoline, P66 and… well like everyone else would be getting sued because of warranty claims. Or, using the oils warranty. (We all carry… or should carry, a warranty on the products we sell.)

Mind you, this is a real question.

My house brand has two products.
Dexos 1 Gen 3 Full synthetic 0w20 / 5w30
Full synthetic 0w20 / 5w30

Literally the exact same formulation. I just don’t pay the GM licensing fee on one of them, because I sell ultra price sensitive customers who don’t want the Dexos spec. It saves them money.

In a UOA - even a chemical tear down - you wouldn’t find a difference. I know both formulas. They’re the same.

Thus, GM’s word choice of “recommended.”

We can also go into the whole law thing of needing to provide for free, etc. that’s been covered here.

Riddle me this:

Well, generally, doesn't a warranty claim result in the manufacture requesting receipts? That would show which oil you used.

Well, generally, doesn't a warranty claim result in the manufacture requesting receipts? That would show which oil you used.

Nope. Never have seen it done myself. Besides. Let’s think about this for a moment.

What is a receipt?
The motor oil matters program by the API, which was discontinued, tried to list product details on the receipt. But installers didn’t want to do that because it was hard and expensive .

You could have a receipt that says “one oil change - $79.99”. Or maybe hand written from an old shop?

From a shop, who’s to even say it was the right oil in the bulk tank? We did that thread about quality and such already. So what’s the receipt even showing?

The burden of proof on warranty claims is on the OEM, to show you voided warranty. The only way they can do that is via UOA or clear oil failure, if not both, in this case. They have to show the oil did not meet or exceed specifications.

Here are some differences between d1g2 and d1g3...

1711666366873.jpg

These good old Kentucky boys got bought out by Saudi Arabia a year ago. I wonder if the Saudis hired a crew of marketing MBAs and this is their first major effort?

Nope. Never have seen it done myself. Besides. Let’s think about this for a moment.

What is a receipt?
The motor oil matters program by the API, which was discontinued, tried to list product details on the receipt. But installers didn’t want to do that because it was hard and expensive .

You could have a receipt that says “one oil change - $79.99”. Or maybe hand written from an old shop?

From a shop, who’s to even say it was the right oil in the bulk tank? We did that thread about quality and such already. So what’s the receipt even showing?

The burden of proof on warranty claims is on the OEM, to show you voided warranty. The only way they can do that is via UOA or clear oil failure, if not both, in this case. They have to show the oil did not meet or exceed specifications.
I always felt this way when people lean on keeping oil receipts for proof during any type of warranty issue. Okay, so it shows you purchased oil. You could have used that oil in a different vehicle. You could have bought that oil and then let it sit on a shelf for a year and not actually changed your oil at all. How does an oil purchase receipt prove that the oil used was the correct spec and changed on time per the manual?

My crystal ball says this oil will fade away just like Valvoline's NextGen recycled oil. I wanted to try NextGen, but couldn't find it anywhere except Advance and their price was way too high.

I haven't used a dexos labeled oil in a couple years. When I use any oil labeled dexos in the weight on my oil cap, my car consumed 1 qt every 750 miles. The car had 35k miles on it when we bought it, and went thru oil like nobody's business. Gm sent us a notice to bring the car into a dealer, and they said they were not going to do anything about it. Unless I wanted to pay to have it re-ringed. So I have been using 10/40 wt oil to slow down the consumption, and that works. It's way out of warranty , but now it only has 88k miles on it. I'll never own another GM car again.,,

Back