Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30 FA20DIT

Finally finished breaking in a new 2020 Outback XT with Redline. Decided to try out this new Valvoline formula along with a Fram Ultra. Hope the bypass boogieman doesn't get me! Is my car going to explode? I though someone on here did either a UOA or VOA on the 5w20 or 5w30 but I may be mistaken. Does anyone have any good spec sheets on this that show the full break down of detergents and other properties such as Moly? I was told this oil is a bit heavier on Moly, somewhere in the 2-300ppm range. And am I mistake, or is this possibly a reformulated version of the Advanced oil they had?

No VOA or UOA from me, but I’m guessing this oil is either re-branded or maybe even re-formulated Valvoline Modern Engine.

There are two that are on the first page of the VOA section, did you look there?

I'm running the 5w30 in the Elantra, super smooth.

Put 60 miles on it today, it seems just as smooth as the Redline that was in it. I'm just wondering how shear stable it is. I do quite a bit of travel from 6k-12k feet and climb some steep grades for miles at a time in some decent heat. So far, all is good. I guess once it kits 5k, I'll pull it and send off a sample to see what its' done or not done.

Put 60 miles on it today, it seems just as smooth as the Redline that was in it. I'm just wondering how shear stable it is. I do quite a bit of travel from 6k-12k feet and climb some steep grades for miles at a time in some decent heat. So far, all is good. I guess once it kits 5k, I'll pull it and send off a sample to see what its' done or not done.
It will probably maintain its viscosity similar to any other 5W-30 GF6 oil. It can be hard to tell how shear stable an oil is from the fuel contamination seen in Subaru DIT's. By the way, your engine is an FA24DIT.

Is it just me or does the Valvoline Extended Protection website send you to the Valvoline Advanced product information sheet -- after clicking on the particular 5W-30 blend and then clicking on that product info link?

Weird... you'd think Corporate would actually catch those things before they went on-line.

Last edited:
No VOA or UOA from me, but I’m guessing this oil is either re-branded or maybe even re-formulated Valvoline Modern Engine.

That is the way I see it too, an SP/GF6 version of Modern Engine. I have used VME 5w30 with good results but I would not think of putting it or Valvoline EP 5w30 in a Subaru FA20DIT engine which has a reputation for shredding resource conserving oils. Myself and others have had good to great results using Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 in the FA20DIT and other GDI engines.

On the subject of smoothness is that a real thing or is it just post change placebo we all experience. Is there any merit to smoothness. I used to believe it was because the oil had no contaminants in it and dirty oil with tons of sub 20um particles would make it micro gritty and less smooth.

But is there any chemistry in the oil that can make it smoother. i heard boron does that.

On the subject of smoothness is that a real thing or is it just post change placebo we all experience. Is there any merit to smoothness. I used to believe it was because the oil had no contaminants in it and dirty oil with tons of sub 20um particles would make it micro gritty and less smooth.

But is there any chemistry in the oil that can make it smoother. i heard boron does that.
Keeping parts separated with a sufficient MOFT helps a lot to make for smooth operation.

I don't think it is the same as Modern Engine at all. VOA's look nothing alike.

Valvoline is a better choice than Redline for passenger cars.
Why exactly. Just value proposition and ease of getting or oem compatibility with emissions and lspi.

Moly.

Is it just me or does the Valvoline Extended Protection website send you to the Valvoline Advanced product information sheet -- after clicking on the particular 5W-30 blend and then clicking on that product info link?

Weird... you'd think Corporate would actually catch those things before they went on-line.
Still directing to advanced synthetic

Back