2015 Subaru Forester XT, Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle, 7214 km (≈ 4500 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the results for the RTMV and all I can say is wow, it is by far the best UOA I got on this engine! 6 iron ppm, 2 cu ppm and 2 al ppm.

It is also the longest run so far on this engine. I ran it a bit harder than before a bit too.

I sent it to OAI because some people on this board said that BS doesn't calculate fuel dilution correctly, but OAI is consistent with BS and no excess fuel is present.
I also sent it to BS because I had problems with OAI bottles at first, anyway.... I will add the BS report when I get it.

I guess I will stay away from GF5 oils that shears like crazy in this engine, RTMV is a good deal imo.

Filter was Wix 57055.

I also included the previous UOAs done by BS.

Forester XT T6 Multi.jpg

Forester XT QSUD.jpg

Regarding the fuel dilution; note that Polaris shows "estimate" because the viscosity is so good. It's a higher HTHS and KV100 oil compared to a GF-5 oil and so even if there's some fuel in there, it's a strong showing with the Rotella. They don't automatically test for fuel via GC; it needs to be lower than expected viscosity for the grade or maybe you could ask for a GC test.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Nice work, but if the head gaskets are the failure cause, does it really make that much difference on the oil PPMs?

FA20DIT does not have the old EJ head gasket issues, so no worries there.

In fact the HG issues has been fixed since around 2011 and it was mostly on the NA EJ engines.

The iron PPM is what stands out to me compared to my UOA of RGT. The copper and AL are similar but the iron was 10 PPM on my UOA of RGT.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
The iron PPM is what stands out to me compared to my UOA of RGT. The copper and AL are similar but the iron was 10 PPM on my UOA of RGT.

I am impressed with the iron ppm per mile as well compared to the other UOAs, it is almost half of all the oils tested.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Regarding the fuel dilution; note that Polaris shows "estimate" because the viscosity is so good. It's a higher HTHS and KV100 oil compared to a GF-5 oil and so even if there's some fuel in there, it's a strong showing with the Rotella. They don't automatically test for fuel via GC; it needs to be lower than expected viscosity for the grade or maybe you could ask for a GC test.

I think I mentioned this to jbutch in another thread.
55.gif
Or did I mention it to someone else?
confused2.gif

Anyway, good uoa.
cheers3.gif

32.gif

Since I'm considering a '20 OBXT, I hope they don't spec 0W-20 in it like in the Ascent. Maybe they're spec 5W-30 because of the fuel dilution issues in the Ascent (and the purported fuel dilution issues in pre-production '20 Outbacks). Would definitely consider this oil in a new OBXT.
#hateCAFE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by dustyroads

I think I mentioned this to jbutch in another thread.
55.gif
Or did I mention it to someone else?
confused2.gif

Anyway, good uoa.
cheers3.gif

32.gif

Since I'm considering a '20 OBXT, I hope they don't spec 0W-20 in it like in the Ascent. Maybe they're spec 5W-30 because of the fuel dilution issues in the Ascent (and the purported fuel dilution issues in pre-production '20 Outbacks). Would definitely consider this oil in a new OBXT.
#hateCAFE

You did mention it but I had difficulties with OAI container and forgot to ask for GC it....

OBXT will most likely be 0w-20, unfortunately.

Going from GF5 to HDEO, I have not seen a drop inn MPG. #hateCAFE

Last edited:
Multi-Vehicle 5w30 is excellent with a low Seq IVA.
Don't hesitate to use it in the Subaru 2.4T.
I wouldn't use an ILSAC in a Subie.
Maybe use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30.

32.gif

#hateCAFE

Hi, I run SubaruOutback.org and yes 0W-20 is the Subaru recommended oil in the 2020 Outback XT. That being said the owners manual states that it is acceptable to use a full synthetic 5W-30 if need be. Rotella T6 multi-vehicle may be the best 5W-30 on the market IMHO. I'm trying out Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 in my vehicles right now and will probably get T6 Multi in the future when rebates are available.

"Rotella T6 multi-vehicle may be the best 5W-30 on the market IMHO"

You might be right. A Dexos2 5w30/0w40 would be good as well.
Personally, I would never run 0w20 or an ILSAC in a Subaru.

I'm very tempted to try this in my car next OCI. It does look like a very good option for 5w-30.

Last edited:
I asked OAI if they could re-run the fuel dilution test for a GC instead of the estimate and they did it very fast! Great service.

Fuel content by GC came back to 2.4%.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
32.gif

#hateCAFE

Hi, I run SubaruOutback.org and yes 0W-20 is the Subaru recommended oil in the 2020 Outback XT. That being said the owners manual states that it is acceptable to use a full synthetic 5W-30 if need be. Rotella T6 multi-vehicle may be the best 5W-30 on the market IMHO. I'm trying out Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 in my vehicles right now and will probably get T6 Multi in the future when rebates are available.

Have you seen the manual yet? I presume it will be the same language as they use now stating 5W-30 conventional is acceptable for replenishment if 0W-20 isn't available.

Originally Posted by jbutch
I asked OAI if they could re-run the fuel dilution test for a GC instead of the estimate and they did it very fast! Great service.

Fuel content by GC came back to 2.4%.

Great! Typical 2.0DIT fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Rotella T6 multi-vehicle may be the best 5W-30 on the market IMHO. I'm trying out Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 in my vehicles right now and will probably get T6 Multi in the future when rebates are available.

Such an E6 oil may be one of the best oils on the market, period, given the sheer number of applications for which they are suitable.

Thanks for the analysis. I'd love to use this in my FA20F when my car reaches 60k miles and is no longer under warranty. The only problem is that it only comes in a 1 gal (4 QT) jug size instead of 1.25 gal (5 QT) or 1 QT bottles. I end up buying extra oil anyway to fill my engine up to 5.5 QT, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back