Valvoline Extended Performance 0W20 VOA

Just did a VOA on the new Valvoline Extended Performance 0w20.

D1G2.

Thoughts?

IMG_0077.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing. I've been curious about this oil. I like the add pack.

Last edited:
Looks pretty solid. I like the huge shot of Moly and Cal+Mag >2,000ppm. This is definitely my new top consideration for an xW-20.

I'm curious to see how the TBN holds with use with these new extended drain oils.

Last edited:
thanks for the voa, the zinc, phosphorous, and calcium are fairly high for a gasoline oil in the lspi era.

Are you thinking extended drain oil?
extended protection can mean extended drains to some of us so yes. it's kind of apparent they're kind of trying to put in the same category as mobil 1 EP in both name and price as they're both $24-25

Last edited:
I don't think this is an extended drain oil. Valvoline has never advertised extended drains.
Not directly. they're being very careful to not state but very heavily imply. this is what they say
  • Full synthetic formula that is 10X stronger against oil breakdown vs. industry standards as tested in the industry Sequence IIIHA test
  • Specially formulated with Dual Defense Additive Technology, combining an innovative additive booster and a fortified detergent system
they're basically trying to say its extended drain.

They probably figured this oil will be strictly low volume/DIY crowd, and among that population few will exceed 10k miles. TBN can be a bit mysterious though.

Not directly. they're being very careful to not state but very heavily imply. this is what they say
  • Full synthetic formula that is 10X stronger against oil breakdown vs. industry standards as tested in the industry Sequence IIIHA test
  • Specially formulated with Dual Defense Additive Technology, combining an innovative additive booster and a fortified detergent system
they're basically trying to say its extended drain.
addition/edit - they're basically trying to say it's extended drain because we all know that an oil that can resist break down more and can maintain a stronger additive and detergent pack is what's required for extended drains. Valvoline is being extremely sleezy and slippery with us.

They probably figured this oil will be strictly low volume/DIY crowd, and among that population few will exceed 10k miles. TBN can be a bit mysterious though.
they're almost implying this is to be used in modern gdi and turbo engines but in their literature they also claim to try to combat lspi.

they say -> "Additionally, the product exceeds the latest engine oil specifications (API, SP, ILSAC, GF-6 and GM dexos1) and is enhanced with a targeted booster to provide additional detergency, thermal stability and turbocharger protection. Extended Protection also protects against Low Speed, Pre-Ignition (LSPI), an issue common in gasoline direct injection engines."

but isnt the calcium rather high for an anti lspi oil?

extended protection can mean extended drains to some of us so yes. it's kind of apparent they're kind of trying to put in the same category as mobil 1 EP in both name and price as they're both $24-25
EP doesn't equal extended drain. Just because one manufacturer uses it doesn't mean they all do.

In this case, Valvoline has spelled out what it means as quoted by you above in wear tests and deposits.

What’s the difference between Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic and Extended Protection?

Advanced Full Synthetic is designed for hardworking cars, trucks and SUVs in the toughest conditions like stop & go driving, extreme temperatures, hauling and towing. Extended Protection builds on our advanced technology with the addition of an innovative booster for ultimate protection against wear and thermal breakdown, plus a fortified detergent system to maximize cleanliness to keep your engine like new.

Ultimate protection designed to extend the life of your engine.​

• 10X stronger against oil breakdown than industry standards*
  • 50% better wear protection than industry standards**
  • Specially formulated with Dual Defense Additive Technology, which combines an innovative additive booster with a fortified detergent system
  • This premium full synthetic motor oil delivers Valvoline’s best protection against deposits, wear and heat.

life of your engine*

not oil ;)

The debate here shows the confusion they've very deliberately sown into the marketplace.

Btw, I'm fine with Valvoline being "slippery". Isn't that the point? 😁

OP, what were the comments from Blackstone? I can't see much there.

they're almost implying this is to be used in modern gdi and turbo engines but in their literature they also claim to try to combat lspi.

they say -> "Additionally, the product exceeds the latest engine oil specifications (API, SP, ILSAC, GF-6 and GM dexos1) and is enhanced with a targeted booster to provide additional detergency, thermal stability and turbocharger protection. Extended Protection also protects against Low Speed, Pre-Ignition (LSPI), an issue common in gasoline direct injection engines."

but isnt the calcium rather high for an anti lspi oil?
Not high enough and the moly offsets LSPI issues.

This oil should not be viewed as something new and groundbreaking. It's simply Valvoline's attempt at addressing the DIY/Extended drain oils from XOM/BP. I'm sure it is very good, as are the others.

Back