Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 D1G2 VOA

PQIA has an old PP 0w20 VOA from 2017. I couldn't find a D1G2 one so I sent a sample in.

Bottle was a 5 qt bottle purchased from Walmart and was dated 21AUG20

Thoughts?
Pennzoil0w20.jpg

Last edited:
Additive levels and viscosity look a bit low. Unfortunately B/S labs isn't that good. Thank you for sharing it though. Looks similar to a PUP VOA I saw recently that was API SN. Additive composition is similar to M1, with PP having more Boron. GTL based.

Additive levels and viscosity look a bit low. Unfortunately B/S labs isn't that good. Thank you for sharing it though. Looks similar to a PUP VOA I saw recently that was API SN. Additive composition is similar to M1, with PP having more Boron. GTL based.
TBN looks low as well. Wonder if there are other ingredients in motor oil chemistry oil base oil chemistry that B/S labs or other are not catching and its time to re-look the oil analysis playing field.

TBN looks low as well. Wonder if there are other ingredients in motor oil chemistry oil base oil chemistry that B/S labs or other are not catching and its time to re-look the oil analysis playing field.

For sure. There are about 15-20 components that go into a fully formulated oil.

Found this VOA of PP HM 0w20. Boron, Phosphorous, Zinc and Magnesium levels are the same. Viscosity is about the same as well. PQIA uses a different TBN method (2896 vs 4739) which results in slightly higher readings.

So, I retract what I said from earlier. This VOA is accurate. I am still surprised by how thin this oil is for a 20wt.

From what I've seen, most of the D1G2 add packs are all very similar regardless of the brand...no doubt to counter the LSPI requirements.

PP has always been thin, but this was really really surprising to me. I knew their 30wt stuff was close to a 20wt, but didn't realize how thin the 0w20 was.

Quite a few VW508 0W-20 motor oils are very thin at 100*C. These oils are scheduled for 10K mile intervals. I have no doubt PP is up to the job regardless of the 8.01 viscosity.

1601398111852.png

Last edited:
Quite a few VW508 0W-20 motor oils are very thin at 100*C. These oils are scheduled for 10K mile intervals. I have no doubt PP is up to the job regardless of the 8.01 viscosity.

View attachment 30378
I think this is an UOA of the SN+ version:

The oil is quite shear stable but a thinner oil is ultimately still a thinner oil. There is less reserve in a more demanding application that can cause the oil to deteriorate (fuel, viscosity breakdown, etc).

The oil is quite shear stable but a thinner oil is ultimately still a thinner oil. There is less reserve in a more demanding application that can cause the oil to deteriorate (fuel, viscosity breakdown, etc).
Pennzoil will back your engine for 300k miles using this oil, so I'm sure they have done their homework. If we've seen anything from recent engine failures that have resulted in extended warranties and/or large-scale replacements, it's poor mechanical engineering that has sealed those engines' fates, not the engine oils that meet the required specs.

Sure, I'm a yellow-bottle guy (only because they killed the awesome charcoal Ultra bottles) but I'd use this in anything calling for a 20wt.

Back