Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30 VOA

Well TBN depletion is generally not linear depending on the specific pH buffering system used in the oil. Plus the depletion is highly dependent on the sulfur content of the fuel, how much blow-by your engine produces and your driving habits (short tripping). TBN is slowly becoming less relevant as a performance marker.
When I see a 10,000 mile OCI UOA of the Valvoline EP 5w30 with a still decent TBN, then I will take a second look.

This VOA looks good, but the low TBN and the fact that Valvoline doesn't consider it a long drain oil is one of the reasons I switched to Mobil 1 EP.

I am starting 10,000 mile OCI's again. If the the TBN was higher and Valvoline backed it for at least 10,000 like Mobil and Castrol, I would have left it in and continued to use it.
Any GF 5 or 6 oil can do 10k. 100s of UOA prove that. Toyota has 10k using any GF 5 or 6 so 10k id not an extended OCI. Only in old thinking.

Might have to try the Valvoline EP 0w20 on the next oil change. Additive pack looks real solid, absolutely love the molybdenum content.

Some people say the "base oil" isnt too good in Valvoline oils, but for $22 at Walmart, you can't beat it.

@JWB is the oil EP or Maxlife?

Anyone knows the Noack number for Valvoline EP 5W-30?

The .pdf link in valvoline website shows "< %15" (less than %15). Big deal.

The pdf doesn't show the moly either. Also according to @ZeeOSix not sure if op oil is EP or maxlife?!

iirc, even dexos2 Noack must be less than %12 ... so less than %15 is nothing impressive!

Was thinking if the 5W-30 EP has a good chunk of moly and good Noack # (e.g. %9 or less), and with recent rebate ($5?), I buy couple of jugs. Maybe try it with my Tundra next time.

btw, I change oil rather quickly (than OM recommention) so don't care about TBN.

Thanks

Last edited:
I remember Advanced 5w30 Noack being around 9.x, I do remember it was under 10 before they changed almost all of them to <15 so I'm guessing the EP would be similar but Maxlife is always a bit different.

@JWB is the oil EP or Maxlife?

Anyone knows the Noack number for Valvoline EP 5W-30?

The .pdf link in valvoline website shows "< %15" (less than %15). Big deal.

The pdf doesn't show the moly either. Also according to @ZeeOSix not sure if op oil is EP or maxlife?!

iirc, even dexos2 Noack must be less than %12 ... so less than %15 is nothing impressive!

Was thinking if the 5W-30 EP has a good chunk of moly and good Noack # (e.g. %9 or less), and with recent rebate ($5?), I buy couple of jugs. Maybe try it with my Tundra next time.

btw, I change oil rather quickly (than OM recommention) so don't care about TBN.

Thanks
Valvoline EP.

I have 0w20 Valvoline EP in my 1.5T Equinox now, I’ll run it to around 6000 or 18% similar to my last UOA of Royal Purple. People say that RP is Valvoline with purple dye….we shall see.

Back