Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30 VOA

JWB

Incase anyone is interested. Blackstone labs is again low on TBN. They always seem to be around 1.5 to 2 low (based off several VOA I have done).

Have this oil in my 2020 Tundra and she likes the Moly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-194742_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-194742_Drive.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,191
Definitely interested.... Thank you very much for doing this.

Looks quite good.

Valvoline EP is at least priced far better than Valvoline modern engine was.

For a 78 year old guy to small to even try to read.
I had the same issue with the PDF even magnified it was too small. So I hovered over the open image of the report and right clicked
"Open Image in New Tab" then I went and zoomed the page to 250% using the "customize and control chrome" drop down menu in three stacked dots at the upper right of the viewing pane.

Like I just said in another thread, this is getting hard for those of us born over a 1/2 Century ago in the previous Millennium :)

This VOA looks good, but the low TBN and the fact that Valvoline doesn't consider it a long drain oil is one of the reasons I switched to Mobil 1 EP.

I am starting 10,000 mile OCI's again. If the the TBN was higher and Valvoline backed it for at least 10,000 like Mobil and Castrol, I would have left it in and continued to use it.

This VOA looks good, but the low TBN and the fact that Valvoline doesn't consider it a long drain oil is one of the reasons I switched to Mobil 1 EP.

I am starting 10,000 mile OCI's again. If the the TBN was higher and Valvoline backed it for at least 10,000 like Mobil and Castrol, I would have left it in and continued to use it.
The Valvoline is fine for manufacturer interval, whatever that may be. Isn't Ford using 7500 to 10,000 on the 5.0 engines?

Yup, 10,000 or 1 year, whichever comes first, but as I said, that low starting TBN concerns me.
Well TBN depletion is generally not linear depending on the specific pH buffering system used in the oil. Plus the depletion is highly dependent on the sulfur content of the fuel, how much blow-by your engine produces and your driving habits (short tripping). TBN is slowly becoming less relevant as a performance marker.

Tried to make the VOA more readable. The VOA says "NextGen Max Life 5W30"

Is it that, or is it actually "Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30" as the thread title says?

1649273398808.png

Would be great if the poster downloaded the original PDF and attached it.

Yup, 10,000 or 1 year, whichever comes first, but as I said, that low starting TBN concerns me.
I generally feel the same way, but like others said, TBN is not linear and that lower spec TBN could quite honestly be totally fine after 10,000 miles and still be hovering at 3 or something. Recently I’ve been using Mobil1 0w20 EP...I don’t believe the starting TBN is all that high with the EP (if I remember correctly), yet the UOA’s ive seen on it have a nice TBN retention after high mileage. I may send a sample in on mine after 10,000 miles - so far I’m at 4,000 miles and the oil is acting like anything else...no usage yet, oil is just starting to get dirty looking (light brown), and the engine noise seems the same as usual. My previous oils used with my current car/engine have been Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State and Rotella Gas Truck. All seemed similar (although until now I have never considered going over 5,000 miles).

Back