Valvoline Extended Performance 0W20 VOA

Not high enough and the moly offsets LSPI issues.

This oil should not be viewed as something new and groundbreaking. It's simply Valvoline's attempt at addressing the DIY/Extended drain oils from XOM/BP. I'm sure it is very good, as are the others.
Exactly (color and font size changed by me to emphasize what i'm agreeing with) (y)

thanks for the voa, the zinc, phosphorous, and calcium are fairly high for a gasoline oil in the lspi era.

ZDDP (Zn and P), as well as MoDTC, are LSPI quenchers. An ideal anti-LSPI oil would actually have 1,000+ ppm Zn and P and 400+ ppm Mo. Unfortunately, they can't do that and keep an API rating due to (stupid) limits on phosphorus and sulfur. Therefore, they have to resort to the next best option which is to cut calcium.

Not really. They can run the analysis, but their comments are generic. They are not tribologists.

Right. Many of them are just rookie lab techs that couldn't tell you how the elements relate to oil performance, much less the chemistry behind them. They just push buttons. A different person reviews it and copy/pastes a similar generic comment with variation depending on what some guide told them to write for whatever element levels.

Last edited:
Not directly. they're being very careful to not state but very heavily imply. this is what they say
  • Full synthetic formula that is 10X stronger against oil breakdown vs. industry standards as tested in the industry Sequence IIIHA test
  • Specially formulated with Dual Defense Additive Technology, combining an innovative additive booster and a fortified detergent system
they're basically trying to say its extended drain.

I don’t get that impression

At least with this oil you can see why it's a little more expensive than the VAFS. The extra Moly is definately worth the extra $4/jug if Moly is important to you. I will try the 5W20 or 5W30 next. I'm intrigued.

Thanks for sharing, OP.
Have we seen a VOA or UOA of VAFS SP. I'm curious how much Moly is in it and if they're still using titanium.

Not sure how much stock I put Blackstone's TBN analysis after seeing discrepancies in some samples PQIA and BS have both done.

The two methods for running TBN can vary wildly depending on the additives used. They use two different acids for the tests. An oil with a lot of hard base detergents won't respond to the test the same as one with more soft base. One method could make a potentially great oil look weak or make a mediocre oil look outstanding. On top of that, the test can have a wide margin of error. This is largely why a lot of formulators and tribologists give little weight to TBN.

Back