VOA add packs

So does Mobil 1, thinking about trying Castrol or Valvoline EP?
Premium motor oils that have the same or similar licenses and OEM approvals will perform similarly. You'd have to go down to budget products to see somewhat of a difference, and that's when you're pushing the oil to its limits. For example Castrol GTX vs Castrol EDGE EP.

Premium motor oils that have the same or similar licenses and OEM approvals will perform similarly. You'd have to go down to budget products to see somewhat of a difference, and that's when you're pushing the oil to its limits. For example Castrol GTX vs Castrol EDGE EP.
On the previous page you're going to see a UOA from Mobil 1 I had done back in October..

read decently balanced oil,,look over the site for virgin oil testing here and other sites,,also to mention Schaeffers reputation to blend very good oil,,and many competivive brands like Amsoil,HPL,etc,,lots of reviews,tests to read some good and some not so good , some of the bargin oils may not be properly made,read & study on

read decently balanced oil,,look over the site for virgin oil testing here and other sites,,also to mention Schaeffers reputation to blend very good oil,,and many competivive brands like Amsoil,HPL,etc,,lots of reviews,tests to read some good and some not so good , some of the bargin oils may not be properly made,read & study on
Where did you get the idea that bargain oils may not properly be made? They all have to meet minimum requirements to be a licensed product, meetings those requirements means it is a properly made product.

Schaeffers Supreme 9000 for example is very similar in VOA to Valvoline Full Synthetic, and Valvoline is one of the cheaper oils on the shelves.

Amsoil and HPL offer unlicensed products and are built more towards heavy duty, performance and the extended oil change intervals I wouldn't put them in the same category as Schaeffers, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc. Although Amsoil does offer a licensed High Mileage oil now.

Hmm.

How did you determine from VOA's that some of the bargain oils may not be be properly blended or have a sufficient formulation?

i try to look at the engine oil virgin test results and used ones as to the tbn, hths,ccs etc , or what is still in the oil after it is used,also the new amounts of ingredients in oil,the safety data sheets ,overall reputation of the lubricant (and blender) ,,,maybe I'm wrong but this is what I look at when this comes to add packs,any good information can be useful,,it seems like you get what you pay for,,a oil that does barely meets sp-gf-6a or a high priced oil like Amsoil,HPL,Schaeffers,etc, assuming they have better formulations in general in conjunction with in house testing engine labs,and how far over spec are their oils in published information,and some of the technical sheets (bobistheoilguy) are interesting point of information,there is a great deal to learn on the subject of engine lubrication (tribology),hopefully though education on this site or Machinery/lubrication publications,PQIA,etc:)

i try to look at the engine oil virgin test results and used ones as to the tbn, hths,ccs etc , or what is still in the oil after it is used,also the new amounts of ingredients in oil,the safety data sheets ,overall reputation of the lubricant (and blender) ,,,maybe I'm wrong but this is what I look at when this comes to add packs,any good information can be useful,,it seems like you get what you pay for,,a oil that does barely meets sp-gf-6a or a high priced oil like Amsoil,HPL,Schaeffers,etc, assuming they have better formulations in general in conjunction with in house testing engine labs,and how far over spec are their oils in published information,and some of the technical sheets (bobistheoilguy) are interesting point of information,there is a great deal to learn on the subject of engine lubrication (tribology),hopefully though education on this site or Machinery/lubrication publications,PQIA,etc:)
Your Spelling is very good facility1. The rest of your English presentation here is difficult to read.

Some of us are not sure on what your definition of a better (add pack) formulation is. Two of the best selling synthetic oils on this planet ( Mobil-1 & Pennzoil) lately show a few lowered numbered ingredients in their Dexos-1 SP/GF6a add pack formulations, because these two oil manufacturers have presented the industry with upgraded, improved base oils in recent years.

This industry allows purchasers to use the highest numbered ingredients within add packs - along with the best base oils - all in one quart jug. But the cost will be substantially more than the oil prices we typically find at places like Walmart.

Those Super Premium oils are generally worth the extra cost to folks like myself. I'm now about to add a 2nd Super Premium oil to our garage shelf. If I'm wasting my money at only 3k OCIs, well I'm sure having fun doing the experimentation with using the best oils on two engines that are routinely labeled as being the two worst in the industry.

Last edited:
Back